Indian Light Tank Zorawar Breaks Cover

I dont want to make this political, but L&T is a pan India behemoth. Like the Tatas. Yet this tank production too is in one favoured state.

So? Most of the world does so anyway.

The need was for speed of development rather than a 10 year development program. The goal is to get them to the Northern borders with China as soon as 2027.

Beyond that, the target is to replace the John Cockeril sourced turret with a DRDO design (which is in development) and replace the Cummins engine with an Indian engine.

Rest all is Indian, including the gun, the RCWS, the FCS, the battle management systems, the optics, the loitering munitions that it's going to use, etc.
Shortening the development and testing of weapon systems will only lead to constant failures, especially in high-altitude and extreme climate areas. Don’t be like INSAS.

Honestly I am not sure if I should be happy or Sad about this Tank,
On One hand I am happy that the project moved this fast and a prototype is ready in just 2 years and will be heading for user trials by the end of the year even after German Engine Fiasco.

But On the other hand I am sad that this thing is just a screwdrivered item (with almost everything other than the chassis being imported)
Composite Rubber Tracks - American
Turret - Belgian
Engine - American
Transmission - American
Anti Tank Rounds - Imported (No Indian Company currently manufacturers 105mm NATO tank rounds)
Electronics & Optronics - Likely Imported

Sab kuch to imported hai, to Bhai indigenous kya hai, bas design

The other thing that Saddens me is it's protection, this thing is so lightly protected that it can barely be called a tank.

Even if we are to use this thing as Infantry support how do you prevent it from being destroyed by the likes of ZBL -08 which have a 30mm main gun, because the turret is only rated for STANAG 4569 IV.
This thing at the very least needs protection from 30mm auto cannon because that's what it's most likely to face off against.

No Hardkill APS means 0 protection against any kind of ATGM or Anti Tank Round.
IMO both 0 ERA and no Hardkill APS is criminal.

Another thing that's bugging me is it's Anemic Anti Drone Protection, I don't see any Soft kill systems present on the tank.
I am not sure about the Hard kill RCWS either (I have rarely seen a 12.7 be useful against drones in the Ukraine War)
Honestly a 30mm programmable auto cannon straight from Abrams X would have been the best, but that's just me being foolish

All this because somebody somewhere is insistent on it being 25 tons when in reality this thing should be 30 tons with a more powerful 1000hp engine and better protection.

I just hope an Indigenous Turret and 1000hp Engine are in the works.
RCWS from BEL, See Through Armour Tech from Tonbo Imaging, 105mm gun from Bharat Forge (in SP models), 81mm Smoke Grenade from OFB, Design inspired from Abhay (DRDO).

Will the end result be the same as Arjun (tank), where only 100 vehicles are purchased for parade?
DRDO's work on the Arjun Mk1A program led to a bunch of high-end components for just 240+ units. Meanwhile, the tech from the Arjun is being used to fix up the IA's 1,657 T-90s and 693 BMP-2.

Last edited:
Assembled products, all major components are imported or produced under license

"But" India has to date, struggled to integrate imported products into a successful product "yet". Lets see if this is any better.

Assembled products, all major components are imported or produced under license
It's just a prototype for now. Once it hits serial production, major components are gonna be swapped out for Indian ones, like I mentioned in #172.

The need for this tank and the impetus for its development was Galwan. 2020.

The Russia Ukraine war broke out in 2022. The battlefield evolving continually.

I am wondering how our mountain war fighting doctrine has evolved and how development of this tank will catch up to the battlefield developments of the last two and a half years.

So? Most of the world does so anyway.

The need was for speed of development rather than a 10 year development program. The goal is to get them to the Northern borders with China as soon as 2027.

Beyond that, the target is to replace the John Cockeril sourced turret with a DRDO design (which is in development) and replace the Cummins engine with an Indian engine.

Rest all is Indian, including the gun, the RCWS, the FCS, the battle management systems, the optics, the loitering munitions that it's going to use, etc.
Developing a tank or a fighter jet typically takes decades in any country, Zorawar is the first tank in the world to be built in just two years, a feat that seems almost impossible. It's unbelievable, considering even a rifle can take a decade of development and refinements before getting battle ready and enter mass production.

Not good looking
Our apologies for making your eyes pain, looking at ugly things. We know that only Papa Xi can produce lovely looking stuff. We can atleast try.
Will the end result be the same as Arjun (tank), where only 100 vehicles are purchased for parade?
Your hopes and desire. Can’t meet all your requests.

ALL those Chinese and Pakistani members mocking Light tank should get that its just one of the two prototypes of the tender for light tank contest by Indian army

L&T has fielded Zorawar while Bharat Forge /Kalyani Light tank hasnt of yet broken the cover to media yet

then both will be tested in highest and most toughest himlayan terrain in all kinds of weather after that they will be upgraded if there will be any need for it and then the final product

besides we have all the time and moeny to even install best systems from Europe and Israel or USA or russia if the need arises if you can do that do it whose stopping you ;) :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back