Iran Unveils Arman & Azarakhsh Air Defense Systems

Combine Azaraksh with 15-20KM missile.

Most modern MALE/UCAV have munitions right now (glide, CM, PGM? Etc) that allow them to target such systems outside of the 10-20KM max engagement enevelope.

As we saw with TB-2 and Syrian Pantsir systems a few years back.
You can create multilayered air defense network with Mehran 2 covering 320km ranges, Mehran 1 200km ranges, Arman 120km ranges, 3rd Khordad 70km ranges, 9 Dey 20-30km ranges and Azarakhsh and Majid for point defense at 8-10kms.

Probably Azarakhsh and Majid air defense systems will be positioned near bigger AD systems like Mehran and Arman providing point defense of these bigger AD systems from low flying cruise missiles, anti-radiation drones and glide bombs.

What is missing in this multilayered air defense network is presence of a very long range AD system (500km-600km) that can close huge swathes of territory for AWACs and aerial refueling tankers keeping them at a distance and with ABM and ASAT capability. Russians developed S-500 in 10 years, I think Iran, with its experience of developing Mehran-2 and Bavar-373 can do the same.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of military (this should be pointed as other systems just uses civilian trucks) truck purchase from another country

They don't resemble with Russia's TEL or China's HQ TELs

To be honest they look like a little like Patriot's TEL

If anyone knows the Arman truck name it would be appreciated

View attachment 19873
View attachment 19874
Arman uses the Civilian variant of the military use Tatra 815-7 series.

You can create multilayered air defense network with Mehran 2 covering 320km ranges, Mehran 1 200km ranges, Arman 120km ranges, 3rd Khordad 70km ranges, 9 Dey 20-30km ranges and Azarakhsh and Majid for point defense at 8-10kms.

Probably Azarakhsh and Majid air defense systems will be positioned near bigger AD systems like Mehran and Arman providing point defense of these bigger AD systems from low flying cruise missiles, anti-radiation drones and glide bombs.

What is missing in this multilayered air defense network is presence of a very long range AD system (500km-600km) that can close huge swathes of territory for AWACs and aerial refueling tankers keeping them at a distance and with ABM and ASAT capability. Russians developed S-500 in 10 years, I think Iran, with its experience of developing Mehran-2 and Bavar-373 can do the same.

I am saying building a more capable product for export. For example, many countries in South America, Africa, and Middle East (Iraq and Syria) could use such systems and they don’t have the benefit of a large multi layered air defense network.

I am saying building a more capable product for export. For example, many countries in South America, Africa, and Middle East (Iraq and Syria) could use such systems and they don’t have the benefit of a large multi layered air defense network.
Problem with that is that there is a greater potential that the U.S will steal one of your more capable export systems and learn how to fight it.

Problem with that is that there is a greater potential that the U.S will steal one of your more capable export systems and learn how to fight it.

That’s not how things work or else no country would buy foreign arms. S-300 has been in NATO hands for a while (Greece) and S-400 is in Turkish hands.

While studying a system can show some vulnerabilities wether that’s learning it’s full capabilities and areas it lacks or electronic warfare in the underlying code, there is no magical solution that renders that renders the system ineffective. It’s a cat and mouse game.

That’s not how things work or else no country would buy foreign arms. S-300 has been in NATO hands for a while (Greece) and S-400 is in Turkish hands.

While studying a system can show some vulnerabilities wether that’s learning it’s full capabilities and areas it lacks or electronic warfare in the underlying code, there is no magical solution that renders that renders the system ineffective. It’s a cat and mouse game.
You are right, that's not how it works. Other countries sell down graded versions of their own equipment. They don't sell "More capable product for export"!

Still the AIM-9P body - there was a also a local direct reverse engineering version called the Fatter if I am not correct so it is a logical progression to use what works. Does it use an imaging seeker?

View attachment 20214

The Arman is interesting as it looks like a newish design - perhaps a progression beyond BAVAR.
more like a fork of Talash project.
Talash project Forked into two line , one resulted in Bavar 373 which is a long range product another into 15th of khordad which is a middle range product , later they developed 15th of khordad into Tactical sayyad (combining radar and launcher into a single vehicle for faster deployment and more mobility ) till now the system used a PESA radar the next development for this project was replacing that PESA radar with AESA radar which happened in Arman

the other fork of the project is Bavar-373 and we recently see evidence of it being deployed for the first time around Tehran , that line is about protecting cities and such rather than mobility uses separate trunks for each of its two AESA Radars and launchers , and the next upgrade for it will be its missiles to increase the range of them to well beyond 400km in last test it managed to engage a karrar drone up to 320km away

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240217_214609_net_telewebion~01.jpg
I like the seekers we use on these missiles , a lot more advance than the one a certain country use on an airplane that is back bone of its air force.
i like to see somebody try use flare to make the missile loose its target

Combine Azaraksh with 15-20KM missile.

Most modern MALE/UCAV have munitions right now (glide, CM, PGM? Etc) that allow them to target such systems outside of the 10-20KM max engagement enevelope.

As we saw with TB-2 and Syrian Pantsir systems a few years back.
I doubt Azaraksh have the altitude to engage Make UAVs, my guess like other such system around the world its engagement ceiling will be something in line of 5-6km

Last edited:
this is going to get very confusing when MOD reveals Arman (Bavar 373 successor)

I don't think people understand that an air defense system can only do so much. The second it fires a rocket and gives away its position, it's over. It will be destroyed and that's the end.

this is going to get very confusing when MOD reveals Arman (Bavar 373 successor)
I think by now we have all become accustomed to the Iranian Armed Forces naming conventions (naming 5 different products the same name across different branches of the armed forces)

I don't think people understand that an air defense system can only do so much. The second it fires a rocket and gives away its position, it's over. It will be destroyed and that's the end.
A fighter jet is more vulnerable. Easily detected and shot down.

that's why they build them mobile and the one that are not mobile are protected by layered air defense .
and no air defense system are not giving away their location by firing a rocket , turning on the radar is what give them away , over-passing satellite give them away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back