Israeli missile defences (deployed) - assessment and strategies

anyone have data about known deployment locations of Israeli ABM systems?
First Arrow 2 Battery:
Palmachim Air Base

Second Battery Arrow 2:
Ein Shemer Air Base

As I said, a third battery is claimed.

Third Battery Arrow 2:
Near Tal Shahar in the Beit Shemesh area at Sdot Micha Airbase(כנף 2).

Arrow 3:

The problem is this load out doesn’t assume the ongoing efforts in Red Sea.

Many destroyers are running low on ammo due to expending countless missiles to defend against various Houthi munitions. Add in Ukraine and Israel wars that are consuming US/NATO supply of AD missiles and you have a global shortage:

So I’m curious how many munitions these ships currently have on hand. Likely will be to help for a limited salvo event + CM + drone type event. But if Israel escalates and it becomes a shootout than all of these ships will run out quickly and there just isn’t a huge supply of AD missiles to go around between all parties (Ukraine, US, Jordan, Israel)
Clear. I agree. But this is a total estimate for the naval group in the area. Don't take it as a certain and specific thing.

Firing 100 BMs into Israel? Yeah this is not going to happen.

First Arrow 2 Battery:
Palmachim Air Base

Second Battery Arrow 2:
Ein Shemer Air Base

As I said, a third battery is claimed.

Third Battery Arrow 2:

Arrow 3:
I read that Patriot PAC-2 systems can defend an area of 15-20km.

Eilat is 188km from Beersheba which is 88km from Tel Aviv which is 82km from Haifa which is 70km from the occupied Golan Heights

--> 1 battery per major location?

which of these ships is supposed to be able to intercept Iranian MRBMs flying over Iraq/Jordan/Syria?

US directly intercepting Iranian MRBMs heading to Israel is not the primary interception threat for Iran. US help for Israel comes in many forms (such as early warning detection and tracking assistance as you mentioned), not just interception
The only DDG in the Mediterranean will certainly have this capability. The DDGs in the Persian Gulf may have this capability. As for the DDGs/CG in the Red Sea, I still doubt it, although they certainly have the range capability. Perhaps if they move further up the Red Sea, closer to Egypt, they will obtain a more credible presence in terms of air defense capabilities for Israel.

I read that Patriot PAC-2 systems can defend an area of 15-20km.

Eilat is 188km from Beersheba which is 88km from Tel Aviv which is 82km from Haifa which is 70km from the occupied Golan Heights
For anti-ballistic coverage, yes. That's the number.
--> 1 battery per major location?
Yes.

The only DDG in the Mediterranean will certainly have this capability. The DDGs in the Persian Gulf may have this capability. As for the DDGs/CG in the Red Sea, I still doubt it, although they certainly have the range capability. Perhaps if they move further up the Red Sea, closer to Egypt, they will obtain a more credible presence in terms of air defense capabilities for Israel.
The US ships in the Persian Gulf would be c.700-800km away from the launch position of Iranian MRBMs. Seems too far for me to deem plausible, even if it's technically within claimed range. Did they ever intercept a MRBM class target beyond a, say, 500km range?

How far away was the target missile when launched?
I have no idea. But I thought they contain endoatmospheric interceptor defenses:
SM-2 Block IV
SM-6

exoatmospheric interceptors:
SM-3 Block IA
SM-3 Block IIA

Patriot, equipped with PAC-2, PAC-3 and PAC-3 MSE interceptors (tested and effective in real combat situations)
Effective against TBM, SRBM and MRBM

Aegis BMD equipped with SM-2 Block IV, SM-6, SM-3 Block I, SM-3 Block IA, SM-3 Block IIA interceptors
Effective against TBM, SRBM, MRBM, IRBM and ICBM (tested)

THAAD
effective against TBM, SRBM, MRBM and IRBM (tested) and ICBM (presumed)

The US ships in the Persian Gulf would be c.700-800km away from the launch position of Iranian MRBMs. Seems too far for me to deem plausible, even if it's technically within claimed range. Did they ever intercept a MRBM class target beyond a, say, 500km range?

SM-3 Block lla has intercepted ICBM targets in missile defense tests, so it definitely has the capability

Users who are viewing this thread

Back