J-31 to be inducted soon| Pilot training reportedly in progress

This is big big claim from former Pakistan air chief
Let's assume j31 arrives in 4 years and by 2030 they have 30/40 j31 inservuce alongside their recent 24 j10c

To my Indian friends no fancy wishlist just reality if what India should do and is achievable right now and upto 2030 to answer this threat
With whom avd what can India do to answer both this threat and Chinese j20
The officers in the office are mostly Indian and Pakistani, and whenever they get the chance, they always do chest thumping and media sells the news and earn the money.

Someone asked him how he calculated for 14 years.

As a Chinese, I also hope that FC31 will arrive in Pakistan as soon as possible.

As senior military enthusiasts, we must approach these news with rigor. We cannot become overly excited just because of a little bit of information, which is the difference between senior military enthusiasts and ordinary people.

We need evidence like this

w700d1q75cms.jpg

Last edited:
No Air Chief ever mentioned it. One time this was raised by Musharraf another time it was someone else. PAF never said they plan to induct J 10. In fact until Sohail Aman time it wasn't under consideration

Your splitting hairs now and being pedantic to try and win an argument. Safe to assume Mush was at the very highest levels of military decision making back then. There was a lot of talk of J-10 and it come to nothing for 12 years. Can be possoible for J-31, although my guess (like everyone else who is guessing) is that it will be 2028-2030

Good for them I guess. Let it force Indian babus to innovate.

NO- India is not going guy recently any 5th gen fighter.

Not before 2030, if AMCA does not go with the plan, then it might go for import.

The focus should be on Rafale, Su 30 upgrade and possibly (F-21), F21 fighter is a great package if we buy approx 100.

That he didn't. But as it was an Air Chief and historically when our chiefs mention an induction it's not 5 to 6 years away, in most cases from few months to two years at best.

The problem is, each project is different, the technology - even if there was a vast leap in China on almost everything - has changed dramatically and so any such conclusions like "when our chiefs mention an induction it's not 5 to 6 years away" or just as I got on Twitter yesterday "the J-20 took slightly less than 6 years from demonstrator to service entry, so four years for the J-31/35/FC-31 should be doable" is wrong!

Therefore once again ... no-one denies and it will come "soon" in terms of "earlier than many expected" but only after testing & certification what all takes time. So to question this "late-2025" date has nothing to do one would belittle China's capabilities or Pakistan, but just an attempt to bring it into a reasonable perspective!

In case one is interested:

Last edited:
Are you sure?

Maybe in 4-5 years time. I can remember the talk of
PAF buying J10 when Musharaf was in power, negotiations started in 2006 but did not see the J10's
till 2022.

This is the official announcement of the PLA Navy's FC31 shipborne version equipment.

This is the unique official announcement form of PLA for the service of new equipment.

In China, this kind of announcement is equivalent to an official announcement

logo_light-jpg.58439

1-jpg.58440

Unlike IAF, I don't recall PAF ever complaining to Russia or France for giving weapons to India, neither did any Pakistani PM ever cried like Modi did for Rafales.
Regardless what ever PAF had in it's inventory, it has always delivered .
PAF knows it and it's adversary also knows it well....so no need for making these Indian kind of statements.

This is the official announcement of the PLA Navy's FC31 shipborne version equipment.

This is the unique official announcement form of PLA for the service of new equipment.

In China, this kind of announcement is equivalent to an official announcement

logo_light-jpg.58439

1-jpg.58440

Yes, but this "official announcement" is just an "official announcement" in the meaning it exists and is progressing! To conclude "official announcement" means these are production aircraft, it is entering service soon or has already are not possible!

How did he calculate 14-years?

Unlike IAF, I don't recall PAF ever complaining to Russia or France for giving weapons to India, neither did any Pakistani PM ever cried like Modi did for Rafales.
Regardless what ever PAF had in it's inventory, it has always delivered .
PAF knows it and it's adversary also knows it well....so no need for making these Indian kind of statements.
Over the past 70 years, there have been several episodes between the two countries.

PAF had the advantage until 1960's, 1970's - balance was achieved, 1980's - PAF gained the advantage by having F16 fighters, 1990's - IAF gained the advantage with BVR until PAF received block 52 of F 16's.

There was a balance state until the burst was introduced and the PAF followed, but Rafale still has advantages-

When J31 is inducted by PAF - it will have an advantage over IAF - but when it will be inducted and when to counter-banalaced by IAF is the question now.

Still not sure - how he calculated 14 years

No Air Chief ever mentioned it. One time this was raised by Musharraf another time it was someone else. PAF never said they plan to induct J 10. In fact until Sohail Aman time it wasn't under consideration

I remember reading AFM articles dating back 20 years written by Alan Warnes, a well known and respected aviation journalist who has written books on PAF and close connections with PAF. Back then the PAF openly stated they were considering the J10, it was widely publicised. I think the earthquake back then cut any further ambitions by the PAF, including scaling back the number of Block 52 Vipers, at one point numbers of around 55 were being mentioned. In the end the PAF decided for only 18 Block 52s, upgrading the earlier blocks, and focusing on the JF-17 and force multipliers. The J10 was then seen as a long-term option, and probably in hindsight the correct choice as it allowed the platform to mature, as well as improving Chinese engine technology.

I'm guessing his 14 years refers to 2040 time line
Ie expecting j31 to arrive between 2026/2028 then the Pakistani air chief believes India will either induct
AMCA mark 1 in 2040
Or
French fifth generation fighters or Tempest in 2040
He seems to discount India buying Su57 which they can do inside five years
And believes that neither the su57 or the french Rafales F5 arriving in 2030 and real possibility of coming to India as MRFA as suitable detterance
Very dangerous on his past because Rafale F5 will flying with fifth generation unmanned Drones

P
I'm guessing his 14 years refers to 2040 time line
Ie expecting j31 to arrive between 2026/2028 then the Pakistani air chief believes India will either induct
AMCA mark 1 in 2040
Or
French fifth generation fighters or Tempest in 2040
He seems to discount India buying Su57 which they can do inside five years
And believes that neither the su57 or the french Rafales F5 arriving in 2030 and real possibility of coming to India as MRFA as suitable detterance
Very dangerous on his past because Rafale F5 will flying with fifth generation unmanned Drones
Biggest problem of india is - Hal timeline.

They never able to achieved their targets.

The same company is doing preety well in helicopter manufacturing but with fighter planes - schedule is a biggest problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back