JF-17 - Updates, News & Discussion

Clear indicators of budget constraints hitting in and some revisions to ASR.

Blocks being capped at 50each, production shift to upgrade block-IIs.

And what is really most important is the additional 30 minutes on station due to higher efficiency achieved with the RD-93MA.

I'm surprised they got the RD-93MA. I wonder if the 30-unit cap on the Block-III had something to do with the RD-93MA? Perhaps Klimov delivered a batch pre-CAATSA, but the PAF couldn't order more due to US pressure? So, in effect, future JF-17s will basically use a Chinese powerplant?
This is what we knew back in Jan 2022 that RD-93 was being used since MA was being evaluated….
1703640900594.jpeg

This has left a question whether all the Blk IIIs are using 93 or 93MA variant?

Memories from 2006:

Advanced China fighter aircraft makes test flight
63f51678f4e9dd5f7a30677c274e5fec.jpg

www.chinaview.cn 2006-04-28 18:15:42
06ee5d8cc4ab158baf17f6e765dcdace.jpg

A Xiaolong 04 fighter plane is seen during its test flight at Wenjiang Airport in Chengdu, capital of southwest China's Sichuan Province, April 28, 2006. Xiaolong 04 is an improved home-built multi-purpose light fighter of a new generation. It succeeded in its first flight April 28. (Xinhua Photo)

4b957cd48c735136cedb728eeca3d89e.jpg

A Xiaolong 04 fighter plane is seen during its test flight at Wenjiang Airport in Chengdu, capital of southwest China's Sichuan Province, April 28, 2006. (Xinhua Photo)

150d6aef772038cc2c983d937d684f95.jpg

Photo taken on April 28, 2006 shows a Xiaolong 04 fighter plane at Wenjiang Airport in Chengdu, capital of southwest China's Sichuan Province. (Xinhua Photo)

CHENGDU, April 28 (Xinhua) -- An advanced version of the China-developed new-generation fighter plane, the Xiaolong/FC-4, succeeded in its first flight on Friday in southwest China's Sichuan Province.

Based on previous models, the Xiaolong/FC-1 and FC-3, the FC-4 is equipped with advanced electronics and weapons systems, which improve its combat capabilities, say experts.

The success of the 16-minute test flight marks a significant step in China's aviation industry, and makes mass production possible.

The Xiaolong series is a multipurpose light fighter aircraft developed by the China Aviation Industry Corporation I(CAIC-I), the Chengdu Aircraft Group Corp. and China Aero Technology Import and Export Corporation.

With advanced design and manufacturing technology, this export-oriented fighter plane is small, low in cost and suitable for modern warfare and the demands of military fighters, experts said.
The FC-1 made its successful maiden flight in August 2003, after about four years of development. The plane demonstrated outstanding mobility, and good interception and ground attack capabilities.
The development program for the new-generation fighter aircraftwas officially launched in 1999, led by the CAIC-I, the country's leading operator in the aerospace industry.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-04/28/content_4487258.htm

This is what we knew back in Jan 2022 that RD-93 was being used since MA was being evaluated….
View attachment 4021

This has left a question whether all the Blk IIIs are using 93 or 93MA variant?
Retrofits - but the MAs are likely slow due to the Ukrainian conflict. Russian military-industrial complex is ramping but right now focusing on domestic demand.

PL-15s are very expensive systems - so likely confined to Block-IIIs.

I'm surprised they got the RD-93MA. I wonder if the 30-unit cap on the Block-III had something to do with the RD-93MA? Perhaps Klimov delivered a batch pre-CAATSA, but the PAF couldn't order more due to US pressure? So, in effect, future JF-17s will basically use a Chinese powerplant?

I suspect it has more to do with the financial state of Pakistan and the need to focus on the J10CE to offset the Rafales, than CAATSA.

So can anybody confirm that RD-93 MA is already installed in block III or not?

I think If PAF wants it can be done through Chinese route. Plus Not sure RD93MA may come under CAATSA.

Given that this the continuation of an existing procurement programme that started prior to CAATSA, versus a new one, I dont think it is applicable to CAATSA.

I would be suprised if they applied CAATSA to Pakistan, given that they did not apply it India .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts

Back