You are not getting it. I am not talking about "using" them. I am talking about making them in the first place.
LOL, I have worked on system software including distributed and parallel processing Unix kernel. That is about as intense as it gets. We did not have a single Indian engineer in our team, not one! That is why I laugh at your claims that Indian geniuses are at the core of American ingenuity.
American tech is built upon American ingenuity, which included a handful of Indians in some companies, but the tidal wave of H1-B Indians are just riding the wave of inertia.
I will love to know how you managed to design a distributed object storage like S3 that allows arbitrary sized object on a cluster.
Again, I have forgotten more about designing distributed systems than you will ever know. By your own admission, you were a tester and you clearly don't have the faintest clue about software architecture, let alone hardware design. We built distributed, parallel processing, system level products, including for the DoD. When creating such products, we needed to understand both software and hardware at the deepest level. We had several PhDs in our team and, once again, not a single Indian. Not one! Not one!
America has managed to design such systems for literally decades and has been doing just fine before Indians showed up.
LOL, what a farcical joke to claim that America owes its technical prowess to Indians.
The folks who do that kind of things are valued a lot. And silicon valley companies do that a lot. Thats why it is VERY hard to find talent there. All Indians surviving and thriving in that kind of industry are top tier talent.
No, they don't.
Even in Silicon Valley, these kinds of companies, these kinds of jobs and such Indians are the minuscule tip of the iceberg. The vast majority of tech jobs and these 'highly skilled' H1-B Indians are ordinary coding jobs.
Sell that nonsense to someone who hasn't worked in tech.
This is exactly why I laugh at you when you crib about "Indian nepotism". That can not survive in silicon valley. People who are displaced will be scooped up quickly.
LOL, I used to work in Silicon Valley for some of the top tech companies. You are talking as if you are the only one who worked in Silicon Valley and that everyone will believe whatever you say. Even in the top tech companies, including (what used to be) Sun and Oracle, there is a lot of deadwood.
Amazon has mostly "professional services" in Australia : meaning enterprise architects who work with pre-sales to develop solutions around Amazon's offerings for businesses and government clients in Australia.
I know people who used to work for Amazon and Google in Australia and they were involved in product design and architecture. Maybe they were working remotely with an American team, I don't know.
In sydney it pays merely AUD 280K. Less than half
Its all about competition.
Economics 101: salaries are based on local market conditions in the broader economic context. If salaries in Australia are generally lower for all types of work, they would be lower for tech also. A Wall Street broker probably makes a ton more than a similar person in Sydney, so what? Why would Amazon pay more when they don't need to?
In USA there are many many many great tech companies (not merely IT departments of some bank or insurance company) so real talent demands real compensation there.
We already covered that nonsense earlier in this post.
Australia is a backwater with no real tech company apart from perhaps Atlassian. And it shows.
LOL, Australia is punching well above its weight. How many world class tech products have come out of India, the land of geniuses?