NVIDIA discussion thread

Get Ya Wig Split

Feb 21, 2017

Nvidia is now worth more than the GDP of every country except these 11

The chip maker has greater value than the economies of countries including Russia, South Korea and Australia

1708733834059.png

Nvidia Corp.’s NVDA, +0.36% meteoric rise makes it not only the third-largest company in the U.S. in terms of market capitalization, but also bigger than most other countries’ economies, based on gross domestic product.
1708733862810.png

The chip maker’s stock closed at $788.17 on Friday, giving it a market value of $1.97 trillion. That figure is greater than the GDP of every nation in the world but 11, beating the likes of Russia, South Korea and Australia, according to February International Monetary Fund data compiled by Forbes.

Of course, comparing a single stock’s market cap to a country’s GDP is not a perfect exercise, as GDP is a measure of a nation’s output and market cap measures the total value of all shares of a publicly traded company.

Shares of Nvidia are up 238% over the past 12 months as the chip maker has seen huge interest in its graphics processing units, which are used by other companies to develop some artificial-intelligence applications.

The company said in its latest earnings report that it forecasts continued demand for its products, leading to a $277 billion gain in its market cap on Thursday — the biggest one-day valuation jump in U.S. history.

Developereo

Elite Member
Jul 31, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
People have been saying that since 1999. Can you bucket this with the numerous "Country X will collapse this year", "Tesla is a scam and will never turn a profit", and the "ISS will be retired by 2024" threads.

No, because I base this on very specific knowledge of the industry and Nvidia's Achilles heel. Industry users like Mercedes, Toyota, NASA, and others are well aware of this fact and Nvidia is not a player in the next-generation AI offerings from these companies.

Nvidia itself is aware of this vulnerability and is trying desperately to work on the alternatives, but the competitors are not standing still.

You can continue to live in the bubble.

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
No, because I base this on very specific knowledge of the industry and Nvidia's Achilles heel. Industry users like Mercedes, Toyota, NASA, and others are well aware of this fact and Nvidia is not a player in the next-generation AI offerings from these companies.

Nvidia itself is aware of this vulnerability and is trying desperately to work on the alternatives, but the competitors are not standing still.

You can continue to live in the bubble.

If NASA/Mercedes/Toyota already know then why can't you spill the beans on what it is...

This reeks of the typical vaporware thread claims. Companies "know" but oops "I can't tell...I got this big secret...can't reveal it...don't ask me about details"

Developereo

Elite Member
Jul 31, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
If NASA/Mercedes/Toyota already knows then why can't you spill the beans on what it is...

This reeks of the typical vaporware thread claims. Companies "know" but "I can't tell..."

I already mentioned it in another thread.

Nvidia's power guzzling GPUs may be good for ChatGPT and video generating AI bots, but they are hopelessly outclassed in IoT and many other AI applications where power consumption matters.

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I already mentioned it in another thread.

Nvidia's power guzzling GPUs may be good for ChatGPT and video generating AI bots, but they are hopelessly outclassed in IoT and many other AI applications where power consumption matters.

How can they lose marketshare in a market they apparently are not even in.

Besides they are already moving to ARM with things like Grace.

Last edited:

Developereo

Elite Member
Jul 31, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
How can they lose marketshare in a market they apparently are not even in.

Besides they are already moving to ARM.

The SP surge is based on the potential AI market, not their video graphics card market.

Yes, Nvidia is investing heavily in alternatives and they have a few dollars in the bank to back it all up. But so does Intel, and Huawei, and Renesas, and ...

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Nov 17, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The SP surge is based on the potential AI market, not their video graphics card market.

Yes, Nvidia is investing heavily in alternatives and they have a few dollars in the bank to back it all up. But so does Intel, and Huawei, and Renesas, and ...

I think they are going the Tesla route in AI by going high end first and then using that money to invest in low end.

Right now they are making tons of money on high end.

Developereo

Elite Member
Jul 31, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I think they are going the Tesla route in AI by going high end first and then using that money to invest in low end.

Right now they are making tons of money on high end.

It wasn't exactly a pre-planned strategy: they just stumbled into the AI gold mine.

GPUs have been used for decades for non-graphics related tasks, especially for parallel computing in scientific, economics and other modelling. They were a natural fit for LLM software which needs a high degree of parallelism.

But yes, the race for the next generation AI chips has been underway since last decade and all the big players are in it.

Users who are viewing this thread