Pakistan General Elections 2024

PTI leaders Latif Khosa, Salman Akram Raja arrested in Lahore​

Party leader Sher Afzal Marwat condemns ‘deplorable and intolerable’ act by Punjab Police

News Desk
March 10, 2024

latif khosa l and salman akram raja r photo file

Latif Khosa (L) and Salman Akram Raja (R). PHOTO: FILE

Punjab Police on Sunday apprehended Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leaders Latif Khosa and Salman Akram Raja amid the party's demonstrations in Lahore, Express News reported.

Confirming the arrest of his father, Balakh Sher Khosa, son of Latif Khosa, expressed concern over the incident.

"It has come to our attention that Sardar Latif Khosa has been taken into custody, an act that is utterly deplorable and wholly intolerable," stated party leader Sher Afzal Marwat on his official X handle.
Hand in hand pmln and army fascists. Each supporting the looting of the country by the other.. no opposition or threat to their looting to tolerated by Nani Maryam and munir

Alvi defends presidential tenure in first media talk since leaving office

Former President Dr Arif Alvi said he tried his best to fix the estranged relationship between the establishment and PTI founder Imran Khan.
“I have tried it in every meeting, some meetings were public while others were not. I had tried my level best, I used all of my years of education […] but I was unsuccessful,” he said while speaking to the media in Karachi.
He said that if his opponents had any complaints regarding his time at the presidential elections, then they should approach courts with their complaints.
“If they want to file a case under Article 6 then they are welcome,” he said, adding that he adhered to the constitution and took decisions according to his knowledge.
“I am not a constitutional expert, I made decisions using the best advice I received,” says Alvi.

Responsibility lies with govt to cool down political climate: PTI’s Amir Dogar

PTI leader Amir Dogar has said that the responsibility lies with the federal government to cool down the political climate in the country.

While reiterating PTI’s reservations regarding mandate theft, and imprisonment of political workers on Geo News, he said: “How will the situation calm down like this, the government has to come forward.”

All eyes on Senate elections now​

Mar 10,
With a new president and prime minister now heading the federation, all attention has turned towards the upcoming Senate elections, with forty-eight members set to be elected in the first week of April.

As per details provided by the Senate Secretariat, among the members retiring this week, 12 are from Sindh, 11 are from Punjab, 10 members are from Balochistan and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P), each; 4 members are from the former federally administered tribal areas (FATA), and 2 are from the federal capital, Islamabad.

It is pertinent to mention that the 4 members of erstwhile FATA will be the last members who were elected on the quota for FATA and now after the 25th Amendment to the Constitution, FATA will not have separate seats in the Senate. Therefore, the Senate will now consist of 96 members, in which each province is represented equally with 23 seats, while 4 seats are for Islamabad.

Lanat on everyone who voted for Zardari. May they follow Zardari to hell on the day of judgement.
traitoooor!!! how dare you do badua for mouaziz idara and their commander in chief!!

President Asif Ali Zardari on Monday administered the oath to a 19-member federal cabinet of newly elected Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.

Earlier today, PM Shehbaz had sent a summary to President Zardari to appoint the cabinet, comprising 18 federal ministers and a minister of state.

The PML-N’s main ally, the PPP, has refused to become part of the federal cabinet.

The oath-taking ceremony took place at the President House in Islamabad. The national anthem was played to inaugurate the ceremony, following which the Holy Quran was recited.

According to a summary sent by the premier to President Zardari, a copy of which is available with Dawn.com, the cabinet includes 12 MNAs and three senators as federal ministers, as well as a minister of state. Three technocrats — Muhammad Aurangzeb, Mohsin Naqvi and Ahad Cheema are also included in the cabinet.

The proposal for the appointment had been made under clause 1 of Article 92 (federal ministers and ministers of state) of the Constitution, which states: “Subject to clauses 9 and 10 of Article 91, the president shall appoint federal ministers and ministers of state from amongst the members of Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) on the advice of the prime minister.”

Federal ministers​

1. Khawaja Muhammad Asif, MNA
  2. Ahsan Iqbal Chaudry, MNA
  3. Rana Tanveer Hussain, MNA
  4. Azam Nazeer Tarar, Senator
  5. Chaudhry Salik Hussain, MNA
  6. Abdul Aleem Khan, MNA
  7. Jam Kamal Khan, MNA
  8. Amir Muqam, MNA
  9. Sardar Awais Ahmad Khan Leghari, MNA
  10. Attaullah Tarar, MNA
  11. Dr Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui, MNA
  12. Qaiser Ahmed Sheikh, MNA
  13. Mian Riaz Hussain Pirzada, MNA
  14. Mohammad Ishaq Dar, Senator
  15. Musadik Masood Malik, Senator
  16. Muhammad Aurangzeb
  17. Ahad Khan Cheema
  18. Mohsin Naqvi

Minister of state​

1. Shaza Fatima Khawaja

Both Ishaq Dar and HBL chief Muhammad Aurangzeb had been participating in recent meetings on the economic situation, the appointment of the latter as a minister has strengthened reports of him heading the national kitty.

The letter written by PM Shehbaz said that Dar and Malik “shall continue in office as federal ministers” after ceasing to be members of the Senate tomorrow (Tuesday).

Istehkam-i-Pakistan Party leader Aleem Khan and Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan’s Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui are also among the newly sworn-in federal ministers.

Former caretaker Punjab chief minister Mohsin Naqvi, who is also currently the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman, is also among the ministers. A Dawn report stated he is in the run for interior minister and has admitted that he would be a candidate for the upcoming Senate elections.

Former caretaker Punjab chief minister Mohsin Naqvi will be sworn in as the interior minister on Monday (today) when the new federal cabinet members will be administered their oath of office, a source within the PPP confirmed.

The PPP leader maintained that Naqvi was “Rawalpindi’s man”, who would become the interior minister with PML-N supremo Nawaz Sharif’s blessings.

Naqvi extended all kinds of favours to the PML-N but not to the PPP’s provincial chapter – so much so that it had complained to the party leadership of ex-interim CM’s “discriminatory” attitude towards them.

Chief Minister Punjab Maryam Nawaz appears to have preferred fresh faces over old guards as more than half of her eighteen-member cabinet comprises first-time ministers.

Meanwhile, in a somewhat surprising move, despite having a coalition partner in PML-Q, her cabinet did not feature any member from IPP, even as strong rumours suggested the party's parliamentary secretary was in line for a ministerial position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back