Pakistan Navy Ship BABUR, 1st of PN MILGEM Class ship is coming Home.

ghazi52

Think Tank Analyst
Mar 21, 2007
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Pakistan Navy Ship BABUR, 1st of PN MILGEM Class ship, visited Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and conducted passage exercise with the ship of Royal Saudi Naval Forces (RSNF) .

Upon arrival at Jeddah port, the ship was received by senior officials of RSNF and Naval Attaché of Pakistan. During stay at port, Commanding Officer of PNS BABUR, Caption Sajjad, also called on RSNF Deputy Western Fleet Commander, Rear Admiral Yahya Mohammad Majrashi. During the meeting, matters of mutual interests and bilateral cooperation between both the navies were discussed.

Later, PNS BABUR and HMS AL RIYADH of RSNF conducted PASSEX and rehearsed various Joint Maritime Exercises and Operations. The aim of exercise was to provide an opportunity to enhance interoperability between both the navies.

PNS BABUR is the 1st of the four PN MILGEM Ships being constructed simultaneously at Istanbul Naval Shipyard and Karachi Shipyard and Engineering works. Visit of PNS BABUR to Jeddah and participation in PASSEX provided an opportunity to both countries to further strengthen their defence collaboration and everlasting friend ship.

1718829276113.png

AZADPAKISTAN2009

Elite Member
Sep 8, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Interesting Pakistan Navy added in SAM air defense module in these Corvettes
Does adds some depth to the platform with own Air defense missiles

Welcomed addition

• 12 x Missile per ship x 4 Ships = 48 Missiles (SAM)

Decent deterrent once all 4 ships are in hand

Did not anticipate these ship will have the SAM protection umbrella

Last edited:

Tank131

Oct 7, 2015
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Interesting Pakistan Navy added in SAM air defense module in these Corvettes
Does adds some depth to the platform with own Air defense missiles

Welcomed addition

• 12 x Missile per ship x 4 Ships = 48 Missiles (SAM)

Decent deterrent once all 4 ships are in hand

Did not anticipate these ship will have the SAM protection umbrella
Have you not been following this development? Its been a few years this has been known...

That said, 12 sams is not sufficient for where these ships need to be for PN. While i think the long term goal is they will form the middle tier of PNs fleet with JCF and Tughrails forming the upper level, im hoping PN gets Albatross NG/CAMM-ER certified on MDAS/MILDAS VLS and these undergo an MLI in a few years with replacement of the 12 GWS-26 with two 4 cell MDAS VLS launchers (total 8 cell) which would allow for quadpack of a total of 32 missiles. Also hoping that Levent or Gokdeniz-ER (AKA Goksur) PDMS get installed on these boats, but i suspect we will be looking at Phalanx CIWS for now. Strange that they would hear to Pakistan without CIWS otherwise if Gokdeniz was to be installed.

Awwad

Jan 17, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
That said, 12 sams is not sufficient for where these ships need to be for PN. While i think the long term goal is they will form the middle tier of PNs fleet with JCF and Tughrails forming the upper level, im hoping PN gets Albatross NG/CAMM-ER certified on MDAS/MILDAS VLS and these undergo an MLI in a few years with replacement of the 12 GWS-26 with two 4 cell MDAS VLS launchers (total 8 cell) which would allow for quadpack of a total of 32 missiles. Also hoping that Levent or Gokdeniz-ER (AKA Goksur) PDMS get installed on these boats, but i suspect we will be looking at Phalanx CIWS for now. Strange that they would hear to Pakistan without CIWS otherwise if Gokdeniz was to be installed.

When the project was signed, we thought it would be milgem ASW ships as it is. The AAW capability with 12 Albatross NG SAMs were a pleasant surprise. Ideally we'd loved more missiles but still quite significant addition with overall 72 VLS (Baburs & Yarmooks) and 128 VLS (Tughrils). The Navy's AAW capability is built from almost zero and in very less time.

I think your solution for VLS can be applied to Jinnah frigates. Baburs will likely remain in this configuration for atleast a decade more. They are brand new, there won't be MLU soon. Let's hope JCF packs more SAMs.

arslank01

Feb 5, 2022
Have you not been following this development? Its been a few years this has been known...

there is literally no space. GWS is a system that was picked because of its compact nature.

Tank131

Oct 7, 2015
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
there is literally no space. GWS is a system that was picked because of its compact nature.
GWS was picked because there's no other options. PN wasn't getting MK41 or Sylver due to political constraints, but with GWS there is definitely room. You wont obviously replace cell for cell, but were a 6 cell GWS fits, 4 cells of the Mk41 or Sylver A50 would likely fit.
When the project was signed, we thought it would be milgem ASW ships as it is. The AAW capability with 12 Albatross NG SAMs were a pleasant surprise. Ideally we'd loved more missiles but still quite significant addition with overall 72 VLS (Baburs & Yarmooks) and 128 VLS (Tughrils). The Navy's AAW capability is built from almost zero and in very less time.

I think your solution for VLS can be applied to Jinnah frigates. Baburs will likely remain in this configuration for atleast a decade more. They are brand new, there won't be MLU soon. Let's hope JCF packs more SAMs.
Well many of us (myself and @Quwa) believed (maybe hoped is more accurate) that the VLS would be included from get go (for my part out of deduction, not insider information) . We were proven correct. But i agree in a short time there has been a massive change. BUT as with most things a little forward thinking is needed with a look for what our future plans will be from here. Yes the JCF is up next but we need to also be thinking from now about the fate of the F-22Ps (do we sell them, retire them or MLU them and if we MLU them, what would tuat look like, and start feasibility and engineering schemes from now). Same with Baburs (what would an MLU in 10 years look like). And this will feed the notion of what goes into the JCF. It would be a huge waste of resources to acquire the rights to Ada/Babur/JCF only to add 4 GWS vls cells to the design. Now adding 4 cells of MDAS and getting the CAMM-ER certified on this is a game changer (up to 64 SAMS). But that forward look may also be retroactively applied to Baburs in 10 years (which i meant when i said MLU- of course not immediately). Yes i get that future variants of JCF may look similar to the AS3600, BUT that is then.

maverick

Feb 8, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Pakistan should push to get 1000 VLS in its fleet to make it a formidable navy. USA has 10,000 VLS and China almost 5,000 VLS in their naval fleet.

arslank01

Feb 5, 2022
GWS was picked because there's no other options. PN wasn't getting MK41 or Sylver due to political constraints, but with GWS there is definitely room. You wont obviously replace cell for cell, but were a 6 cell GWS fits, 4 cells of the Mk41 or Sylver A50 would likely fit.

Well many of us (myself and @Quwa) believed (maybe hoped is more accurate) that the VLS would be included from get go (for my part out of deduction, not insider information) . We were proven correct. But i agree in a short time there has been a massive change. BUT as with most things a little forward thinking is needed with a look for what our future plans will be from here. Yes the JCF is up next but we need to also be thinking from now about the fate of the F-22Ps (do we sell them, retire them or MLU them and if we MLU them, what would tuat look like, and start feasibility and engineering schemes from now). Same with Baburs (what would an MLU in 10 years look like). And this will feed the notion of what goes into the JCF. It would be a huge waste of resources to acquire the rights to Ada/Babur/JCF only to add 4 GWS vls cells to the design. Now adding 4 cells of MDAS and getting the CAMM-ER certified on this is a game changer (up to 64 SAMS). But that forward look may also be retroactively applied to Baburs in 10 years (which i meant when i said MLU- of course not immediately). Yes i get that future variants of JCF may look similar to the AS3600, BUT that is then.
"GWS was picked because there's no other options. PN wasn't getting MK41 or Sylver due to political constraints, but with GWS there is definitely room. You wont obviously replace cell for cell, but were a 6 cell GWS fits, 4 cells of the Mk41 or Sylver A50 would likely fit."

GWS was picked because there is no space below the deck. Funnily enough, im not sure what your source is, but i have had some detailed discussions about the design with one of the Previous XO's from TCG Buyukada who painted a pretty clear picture of what is and what isnt possible with the design.

If there was space, the PN would have stuck with the HQ-16. There was not space, thus, the next best thing was selected (logistically and financially).

"Yes the JCF is up next but we need to also be thinking from now about the fate of the F-22Ps (do we sell them, retire them or MLU them and if we MLU them, what would tuat look like, and start feasibility and engineering schemes from now)."

I dont know why you struggle to believe that the PN is actively looking to retrofit CAMM-ER/GWS to the F-22P's. Why is this a difficult concept to grasp i will never understand?

Tank131

Oct 7, 2015
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I dont know why you struggle to believe that the PN is actively looking to retrofit CAMM-ER/GWS to the F-22P's. Why is this a difficult concept to grasp i will never understand?
Will be very happy if they are successful as i have wanted it for a while. My only issue is the cost of such a plan vs the lifecycle of the ship and whether more Babur or even Yarmook 2 would be better money spent. I have never doubted the ability to do so, just the value in doing it. And you missed the point of the statement. Not that they arent going to MLU the F-22Ps, but that such things take time so even thiugh we are inducting Baburs now, the and the JCF next, but attention needs to be given to the plans with F-22p and the Baburs future plans at the same time because such things take time. And these plans can be influenced by the JCF loadouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts