Russia-Ukraine War - News, Discussions & Updates

Well, the russians are too busy with 3 day special military operations in Ukraine. Russia is unprotected. almost the entire Russia land army is in Ukraine. if Estonian 6,500 men army invades Russia now they can reach Moscow.
A German news media says Ukraine attacking arny group consists of 2 brigades. German tanks are involved in the incursion.

View attachment 58442
That's what we call center of gravity........

I think we need more time to know what's the Ukrainian is up to, but with a brigade size attack like this, those aren't the same hit and run mission they had in Belgorod a year or so ago, they are doing this for a reason, and at this point it's just too little to point out to.

But then the speed of advance is amazing, They took more land than Russia in Russia before the Avdviika attack in 2 days, this is a serious breach of Russia soil, and they are using mechanised formation to get on such a breach and it simply blindsided the Russian (probably most of us in the west as well) this is some achievement I would put just behind the Kharkiv Counteroffensive back in 2022. And it looks like this is a supported attack at this point, means they are going to hold, or at least try to hold onto those Russian territories......

I think we need more time to know what's the Ukrainian is up to, but with a brigade size attack like this, those aren't the same hit and run mission they had in Belgorod a year or so ago, they are doing this for a reason, and at this point it's just too little to point out to.

But then the speed of advance is amazing, They took more land than Russia in Russia before the Avdviika attack in 2 days, this is a serious breach of Russia soil, and they are using mechanised formation to get on such a breach and it simply blindsided the Russian (probably most of us in the west as well) this is some achieve I would put just behind the Kharkiv Counteroffensive back in 2022. And it looks like this is a supported attack at this point, means they are going to hold, or at least try to hold onto those Russian territories......

Yep, the Ukrainians want to take as much Russian territory as possible and hold it to gain as much leverage as possible at the negotiating table to end the war.

But then the speed of advance is amazing, They took more land than Russia in Russia before the Avdviika attack in 2 days, this is a serious breach of Russia soil, and they are using mechanised formation to get on such a breach and it simply blindsided the Russian (probably most of us in the west as well) this is some achievement I would put just behind the Kharkiv Counteroffensive back in 2022. And it looks like this is a supported attack at this point, means they are going to hold, or at least try to hold onto those Russian territories......
similar to the wagners. They drove troops on tanks almost unhindered to Moscow. Prigozhin then made a tragic mistake he trusted Putin. He halted the advance. Well, the mistake killed him. he was blown up in a plane.
That just shows Putin’s Russia is a mafia state, a giant propaganda.

Yep, the Ukrainians want to take as much Russian territory as possible and hold it to gain as much leverage as possible at the negotiating table to end the war.
You're deluded if you seriously believe this. Russians have evacuated civilians from this area...we know what's about to come shortly. I'd say let more in, and then mince meat factory will be switched ON. Just watch this space...it'll all be over by end of the week. I wonder what this comedian was thinking when he decided to embark on tbis adventure.

Oh really?! All of a sudden negotiations to end the war?! :ROFLMAO: I thought you were going to bleed the Russians dry to a total defeat?! what happened to your predictions of the Russians running out of men and equipment "in a few months time"?! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh really?! All of a sudden negotiations to end the war?! :ROFLMAO: I thought you were going to bleed the Russians dry to a total defeat?! what happened to your predictions of the Russians running out of men and equipment "in a few months time"?! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Go ahead and quote my post where I said Russia is running out of equipment and men in a few months time😂

A the Russians are being bled dry, taking Russian territory is just a further bargaining chip. I’ve always said this war will come down to the negotiating table.

I don't know what the point of this invasion... what goal does Ukraine have? If its to get Russian forces or a good chunk of them to redeploy to Kursk I hope they have a way to return back to Ukraine quickly without losing a lot. Part of thinks that they likely have a couple, or more, Patriot launchers that were able to move right at the border and are covering the army because if not this is a stupid move and once Russian scrape up fighters for air to ground missions it's going to look ugly.
Demoralization. The Battle of Kursk was the biggest tank conflict of WWII, right? The USSR won then. If Ukraine prevails now in Kursk, that implies that the WWII victory was accomplished through Ukrainian might, not Russian.

Ukraine updates: Russia scrambles against Kursk incursion​

Published 6 hours ago updated 27 minutes ago
The US has asked for details about Ukraine's objectives in the Russian region of Kursk. Russia has engaged reserves as it seeks to thwart the Ukrainian operation. DW has the latest.

A damaged SUV at a road in front of a wheat field
Ukrainian troops were supported by drones and artillery, according to RussiaImage: Kommersant Photo Agency/Sipa/picture alliance

What you need to know​

A top Russian official says fighting is ongoing for a third day after Ukrainian troops smashed through the Russian border in the Kursk region.

About 1,000 Ukrainian troops poured across the Russian border in the early hours of August 6 with tanks and armored vehicles.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has condemned Ukraine's incursion as a "large-scale provocation."

Meanwhile, the White House says it is contacting Ukraine to learn the "objectives" of the operation.

Here is the latest on Russia's war in Ukraine from Thursday, 8 August:

27 minutes ago

'Show them what war is' – Kyiv residents welcome Kursk incursion​

Kyiv residents have welcomed reports of a Ukrainian incursion into the Russian border region of Kursk, according to a survey conducted by the AFP news agency on the streets of the Ukrainian capital.

"Let's show the Muscovites what war is," said tourism agent Volodymyr Borodyansky, adding that Russian President Vladimir Putin "probably wasn't expecting that."

Kyiv resident Rita Simon said the Russians "came onto our land, so now they can feel what our mothers and our lads who are fighting feel."

Tetiana Krapyvka, who works in the financial sector, said she was "proud" and "happy" to hear the reports of the raid which, according to both western observers and Russian military bloggers, has seen Ukrainian troops penetrate up to 10 kilometers (6 miles) inside Russian territory.

"We're hoping for victory, we're confident," she added.

Volodymyr Pyatov saw practical strategic benefits and hoped the incursion could "draw enemy forces away from other sections of the front," while Rita Simon suggested the attack might strengthen Ukraine's hand in any future negotiations.

41 minutes ago

Zelenskyy: Russia 'should feel what it has done'​

Speaking in his daily evening address, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has insisted that Russia must feel the consequences of bringing war to his country – although still without making explicit reference to the ongoing incursion into Russia's Kursk region.

"Russia brought the war to our land and should feel what it has done," he said, praising the Ukrainian army's performance generally as "effective" and "exactly what the country needs now."

"We want to achieve our goals as soon as possible in peace time," he added. "In a just peace. And it will happen."

Earlier, Mykhailo Podolyak, a senior aide to Zelenskyy, became the highest-ranking Ukrainian official to acknowledge the incursion, saying "the root cause of any escalation," including into Kursk, was "unequivocal aggression" on the part of Russia.

"War is war, with its own rules, where the aggressor inevitably reaps corresponding outcomes," he added, saying the war was "slowly creeping inside Russian territory."

1 hour ago1 hour ago

German lawmaker says Russia is also a 'war zone'​

The potential deployment of German weapons inside Russia's internationally recognized borders has divided opinions in Berlin as Moscow continues to fend off a reported Ukrainian incursion into the border region of Kursk. But a senior lawmaker indicated that Kyiv has the right to use donated weapons within the limits of international law.

"With the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the territory of both states became the war zone," said Marcus Faber, chairman of the German parliament's defense select committee and defense spokesman for the Free Democrats (FDP), a junior partner in Germany's coalition government.

"With the transfer of German weapons to Ukraine, they became Ukrainian weapons," he told the Funke media group. "The deployment of those weapons is governed by international law."

Whether any German weapons have been deployed in the reported Ukrainian incursion into Kursk is not known. Back in May, Berlin only granted Kyiv permission to use long-range German missiles to strike targets inside Russia in defense of the city of Kharkiv following long debates in parliament, with opponents concerned about further provoking Russia.

Following the news of the Kursk incursion, opposition leader Sahra Wagenknecht of the left-wing populist BSW demanded intervention from Chancellor Olaf Scholz. "The Chancellor must speak with the Ukrainian President and demand that no German weapons are deployed in the incursions into Russian territory," she told the Funke media group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Country Watch Latest

Back