Russia-Ukraine War - News, Discussions & Updates

a Judo fighter can take down an opponent double the size. he knows the weakness, he knows where to set a dead punch.
attacking the russians in their homeland makes sense. Ukraine army can go until Moscow. there is nothing in Russia, except cheap propaganda. why should Ukraine army attack the russians at Donbas where the russians have the strongest land army there?
Progozhin march to Moscow was the precedent.

So, what's the Ukrainian masterplan with splitting army to attack Kursk and leaving Pokrovsk vulnerable?

SCOTT RITTER: PUTIN'S GLOVES ARE OFF AS KURSK OFFENSIVE CRUSHES UKRAINE | ISRAEL-IRAN WAR COMING?​

The Kursk move is weird. It is desperate for sure but will it work. I wonder if they can maintain it and use it as a bargain chip when and if peace talks begin. I think that is the explanation you Chaps are doing for Kiev on here. . But many experts doubt because they struggle defending fortified positions build years before and now they will have to start digging it in Kursk?
No, I don't think Ukraine is going to use this as a bargaining chip. Again, why would you think it will happen if it was as I said they will eventually be rolled back. I wouldn't be using it to talk to the Ukrainian if I am the Russian, knowing I will eventually be able to recapture them all. It's like Russian trying to use their advance in Kharkiv as a bargaining chip, it won't work as they will have to withdraw from Kharkiv as they are making no progress and their advance do not have an anchor point there.

They are doing this to switch up the momentum, slowing down the Russian by have another thing for the Russian to think about, every man, bullet and gun they will need to think whether they should be going to Kursk or going to Donbas. You can't have them send to both. They are basically buying their time for something to happen somewhere down the road. The Ukrainian are getting more equipment from the US and EU by day (around 110 billions worth), it doesn't take a genius to think they are going to make a big push in 2025. If they can stem the Russian from doing anything at all in 2024 by pinning them in Kursk, that would help them indirectly for their big push next year.

The issue here is, how long does it take for Russia to roll back the Ukrainian in Kursk, Ukrainian have 3 of their best Mechanised Brigade in there, it will take a very long time if they solely depends on sending Internal ministry troop or border guard. those are lightly armed unit. Most of them don't even have Armor element attached to it. And if it take the best Russian troop 5 months to take Bakhmut and 7 to take Adviivka, it will take those National Guard/Border Guard unit a lot longer to do it, and with a lot more casualty, which they will have to refill sometime. In a military sense, sending inferior troop into a fortified position from an experience enemy is NEVER good. so sooner or later they will have to redirect some of their best unit from the south if they want to roll it back quicker, but by "quick" you are still talking about months, and also major destruction inside Russia. And if Russia don't send their mechanised brigade (almost all of them are in Ukraine) Ukraine can out maneuver it if you are talking about Russia just trucking conscript or border guard in. Ukraine can break contact and complete their withdraw with minimal loss since you need to be able to encircle the Ukrainian for a complete defeat. You can't do it in the border region (because Ukraine controls the rear) and you can't do it with basic or motorised infantry (ie infantry with truck)

Last edited:
So, what's the Ukrainian masterplan with splitting army to attack Kursk and leaving Pokrovsk vulnerable?
you can ask the same question for hundreds of other spots in Ukraine. that’s academic question.
the front is 2,000km. now with Kursk, Belgirod some thousands km more.
as military you must decide what’s more important. Ukraine can’t keep unsustainable positions forever. Ukraine must kick the russians where it is hurt the most.

Ukraine offensive on Kursk, Belgorod brings Russia western and central bound railway to collapse.
Belarus halts all railway traffic to Russia.
As Russia war machine logistics rely almost on railways, Putin has few choices.
One week without foods, water, fuel, ammo the Russian invasion army in Ukraine will die en masse in trenches.

you can ask the same question for hundreds of other spots in Ukraine. that’s academic question.
the front is 2,000km. now with Kursk, Belgirod some thousands km more.
as military you must decide what’s more important. Ukraine can’t keep unsustainable positions forever. Ukraine must kick the russians where it is hurt the most.

this is how russians always have fought once the enemy is inside their country, they let them keep going trought while the march turns increasingly painful

this is how russians always have fought once the enemy is inside their country, they let them keep going trought while the march turns increasingly painful
Ah let’s wait. Too early to tell how it will turn out. It’s just 3 years into the 3 day special military operation.

By the way it’s in my opinion always stupid to assume Ukraine army will act in the way what the Russians expect what Ukraine army will do. Japan defeated Russian empire I don’t see any reason why Ukraine can do the same to a corrupt, incompetent Putin’s Russia.

Putin assigns the role of defending Kursk to his former bodyguard. What people can expect anything military from a bodyguard?

Japan defeated Russian empire

Then Russia defeated Japan in 1945 and took back South Sakhalin.

Also, Japan is far more powerful than Ukraine. Japan is a world power. Ukraine is not. Japan has 4 times the population of Ukraine. Japan has the same population as Russia.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back