Russia-Ukraine War - News, Discussions & Updates

No, I don't think Ukraine is going to use this as a bargaining chip. Again, why would you think it will happen if it was as I said they will eventually be rolled back. I wouldn't be using it to talk to the Ukrainian if I am the Russian, knowing I will eventually be able to recapture them all. It's like Russian trying to use their advance in Kharkiv as a bargaining chip, it won't work as they will have to withdraw from Kharkiv as they are making no progress and their advance do not have an anchor point there.

They are doing this to switch up the momentum, slowing down the Russian by have another thing for the Russian to think about, every man, bullet and gun they will need to think whether they should be going to Kursk or going to Donbas. You can't have them send to both. They are basically buying their time for something to happen somewhere down the road. The Ukrainian are getting more equipment from the US and EU by day (around 110 billions worth), it doesn't take a genius to think they are going to make a big push in 2025. If they can stem the Russian from doing anything at all in 2024 by pinning them in Kursk, that would help them indirectly for their big push next year.

The issue here is, how long does it take for Russia to roll back the Ukrainian in Kursk, Ukrainian have 3 of their best Mechanised Brigade in there, it will take a very long time if they solely depends on sending Internal ministry troop or border guard. those are lightly armed unit. Most of them don't even have Armor element attached to it. And if it take the best Russian troop 5 months to take Bakhmut and 7 to take Adviivka, it will take those National Guard/Border Guard unit a lot longer to do it, and with a lot more casualty, which they will have to refill sometime. In a military sense, sending inferior troop into a fortified position from an experience enemy is NEVER good. so sooner or later they will have to redirect some of their best unit from the south if they want to roll it back quicker, but by "quick" you are still talking about months, and also major destruction inside Russia. And if Russia don't send their mechanised brigade (almost all of them are in Ukraine) Ukraine can out maneuver it if you are talking about Russia just trucking conscript or border guard in. Ukraine can break contact and complete their withdraw with minimal loss since you need to be able to encircle the Ukrainian for a complete defeat. You can't do it in the border region (because Ukraine controls the rear) and you can't do it with basic or motorised infantry (ie infantry with truck)

No, I don't think Ukraine is going to use this as a bargaining chip. Again, why would you think it will happen if it was as I said they will eventually be rolled back. I wouldn't be using it to talk to the Ukrainian if I am the Russian, knowing I will eventually be able to recapture them all. It's like Russian trying to use their advance in Kharkiv as a bargaining chip, it won't work as they will have to withdraw from Kharkiv as they are making no progress and their advance do not have an anchor point there.

They are doing this to switch up the momentum, slowing down the Russian by have another thing for the Russian to think about, every man, bullet and gun they will need to think whether they should be going to Kursk or going to Donbas. You can't have them send to both. They are basically buying their time for something to happen somewhere down the road. The Ukrainian are getting more equipment from the US and EU by day (around 110 billions worth), it doesn't take a genius to think they are going to make a big push in 2025. If they can stem the Russian from doing anything at all in 2024 by pinning them in Kursk, that would help them indirectly for their big push next year.

The issue here is, how long does it take for Russia to roll back the Ukrainian in Kursk, Ukrainian have 3 of their best Mechanised Brigade in there, it will take a very long time if they solely depends on sending Internal ministry troop or border guard. those are lightly armed unit. Most of them don't even have Armor element attached to it. And if it take the best Russian troop 5 months to take Bakhmut and 7 to take Adviivka, it will take those National Guard/Border Guard unit a lot longer to do it, and with a lot more casualty, which they will have to refill sometime. In a military sense, sending inferior troop into a fortified position from an experience enemy is NEVER good. so sooner or later they will have to redirect some of their best unit from the south if they want to roll it back quicker, but by "quick" you are still talking about months, and also major destruction inside Russia. And if Russia don't send their mechanised brigade (almost all of them are in Ukraine) Ukraine can out maneuver it if you are talking about

The Ukrainian army's offensive in Kursk is characterized by continuous assaults, always probing for weaknesses. Wherever there's a gap, they try to exploit it, avoiding the main Russian forces whenever possible and aiming to capture more territory. However, unless Ukraine has a significantly large army and abundant weaponry, this strategy risks spreading their forces too thin. Surprisingly, Russia's reinforcements and counterattacks in Kursk aren't as all-out as l initially expected; it's not like a full-scale national mobilization reminiscent of a Great Patriotic War effort. Instead, it seems that there are only a limited number of reinforcements, possibly less than half of Ukraine's forces, engaging in a game of hide-and-seek with the Ukrainian troops. The Kursk area is sparsely populated, with a population of less than 100,000 spread over 5,000 square kilometers. There isn't even a single real city with more than 10,000 inhabitants. The true main Russian forces are likely stationed further away in more central, key cities. Initially, I was shocked, but now I'm beginning to understand the changing situation. The potential for Ukrainian success in that area is limited, and they're unlikely to achieve any significant strategic gains. If Ukraine continues to escalate its involvement there, it might actually be beneficial for progress and conclusion of the war. At least now, we can observe that the Russian army has recently captured more than 30 square kilometres of land in eastern Ukraine in a single day, including many key positions-something that's been almost unheard of in the past two years.

Ah let’s wait. Too early to tell how it will turn out. It’s just 3 years into the 3 day special military operation.

By the way it’s in my opinion always stupid to assume Ukraine army will act in the way what the Russians expect what Ukraine army will do. Japan defeated Russian empire I don’t see any reason why Ukraine can do the same to a corrupt, incompetent Putin’s Russia.

Putin assigns the role of defending Kursk to his former bodyguard. What people can expect anything military from a bodyguard?

So they basically created a new cauldron for themselves . Great job 👏 Ukraine 😅

So they basically created a new cauldron for themselves . Great job 👏 Ukraine 😅
Not so quick
Ukraine has allocated 8 brigades for the assault on Kursk and Belgorod. Ukraine attacking forces have tanks, armored vehicles, air cover, fighter jets, helicopters, drones, long range missiles, full combined armed operations. The russians must have at least 4x8= 32 brigades to encircle the Ukraine brigades. Good luck.

The Ukrainian army's offensive in Kursk is characterized by continuous assaults, always probing for weaknesses. Wherever there's a gap, they try to exploit it, avoiding the main Russian forces whenever possible and aiming to capture more territory. However, unless Ukraine has a significantly large army and abundant weaponry, this strategy risks spreading their forces too thin. Surprisingly, Russia's reinforcements and counterattacks in Kursk aren't as all-out as l initially expected; it's not like a full-scale national mobilization reminiscent of a Great Patriotic War effort. Instead, it seems that there are only a limited number of reinforcements, possibly less than half of Ukraine's forces, engaging in a game of hide-and-seek with the Ukrainian troops. The Kursk area is sparsely populated, with a population of less than 100,000 spread over 5,000 square kilometers. There isn't even a single real city with more than 10,000 inhabitants. The true main Russian forces are likely stationed further away in more central, key cities. Initially, I was shocked, but now I'm beginning to understand the changing situation. The potential for Ukrainian success in that area is limited, and they're unlikely to achieve any significant strategic gains. If Ukraine continues to escalate its involvement there, it might actually be beneficial for progress and conclusion of the war. At least now, we can observe that the Russian army has recently captured more than 30 square kilometres of land in eastern Ukraine in a single day, including many key positions-something that's been almost unheard of in the past two years.
First of all, Ukraine weren't stretching the force thin, because that was an uncontested flank. 22, 80 and 82nd Brigade were all reinforcing the TDF brigade guarding the Northern Flank, they were posted there because Russian had amassed 20k troop near Sumy back in May.

These 3 Brigade (I don't know where the other 2 Brigade came from, most likely from Capital Defence) were stationed in the Sumy area already. It wasn't drawing their force from the South (Which mostly 54th, 55th, 56th, 92nd, 93rd and some TDF Brigade)

Now, you can argue after they figured out Sumy region is a nothing burger and they should dump that 3 Brigade south and fight it out with the Russian, but as far as the situation go, if Ukrainian stretch thin, you will see Russian trying to make a big push in the south once the Northern Group going inside Russia, this had not yet happen even tho we are at the 9th day of Kursk Invasion, suggest that at least at this stage, the Russian think the Ukrainian weren't thinning out the South, but then this is still early, if a month goes by and the Russian still not making a move, then we know for sure the Ukrainian Southern Defence were not at all affected by this incursion. That's we will see.

Second, there won't be any mobilisation, because if Russia call for troop, they have to admit something is not right. It's not a patriotic war when you invaded someone first, he can spin the opinion and justify it however he wanted but he can't spin the fact that he invaded first, if they mobilise now after Ukraine incursion, it will make Putin looks like he lost control of his own border, and now call for help, the term 'Biting off more than you can chew" come to mind. Well, in reality he was, but he can't let the Russian think that, the fact is even Russian State TV saying and prepping the people this is going to be a long run and admitting the situation is "Difficult", he can't mobilise now. Otherwise it make him look like a failure

Putin have to make do with internal security troop and conscript to deal with this, or move some of the troop from the South if he want done quicker.

And finally, there are NO Strategic Gain, NOTHING, in Kursk for the Ukrainian. Anything that have actual gain would have to be able to conquer the entire Oblast or at least part that you can anchor your offensive on, It's like saying Russia have Strategic Gain in Kherson when they lose the only city that matter and now just control a large swath of uninhabited land.

The goal for the Ukrainian is to make Russia choose, from now on until the end of Kursk operation, where they want their resource to go. They can't double their resupply effort overnight, which mean they have to choose what resource go where, and as I said numerous time, you can have all the troop stayed in the South, as long as you halve the supplies, you can only fight half of the time. That is the Ukrainian goal, not wanting to conquer all the Kursk and have an independence referendum call like the Russian.

And by the way, you didn't think wrong, you are thinking according to what you can accept as a fact, that's why the post had been moved multiple time in the last 9 days, that is a sign you are going in the wrong direction. Because no matter how a battle was fought, the ground reality stays the same, if you are interpreting it one way at one time and another way another time, it means you are choosing the narrative, instead of having the narrative speak for itself. If you look at what I said over the last 9 days, it didn't change much, I don't believe it can last long (long as in 6 months or a year) then at the first day, I don't believe it now, I don't believe in this is a move to negotiate then, I don't believe it now, I don't believe Russia can deal with it effectively on day 1, I don't believe it now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back