Russia-Ukraine War - News, Discussions & Updates

Airpower remains the undisputed advantage of NATO. I agree at least on one commentary I read not long ago : Had it not for the threat of mutual annihilation, NATO would've eagerly entered the war on Ukraine's side since day 1 knowing the massive qualitative and quantitative air power disparity between Russia and the combined West.

This is why Ukraine is so eager to pull NATO into the war ASAP, because unless NATO enters, there is simply no way Ukraine could actually win.

Russia is not without allies. If NATO planes bomb Russia, China supply air defense to Russia. In fact, it is Chinese support that doomed American military intervention in Vietnam.

Russia is not without allies. If NATO planes bomb Russia, China supply air defense to Russia. In fact, it is Chinese support that doomed American military intervention in Vietnam.
Iran and NorKo are prolly the bigger (and more realistic) allies in this regards as they have supplied Russia with actual weapons, unlike China.

The Russo Ukrainian war is not the text book example of what a real NATO airpower can bring vs IADS. Look to Desert Storm for that.

The Ukrainian air Force simply doesn't have the necessary tool in the air to defeat IADS and most importantly they don't have the number.
What both sides are doing is at best HADS= Harassment of enemy Air Defense. As both could not systematically disable the air defense of each other to the point where planes are grounded.

Russian land based jamming is not going to survive counter jamming from the air especially against specialized EW planes like the growler.

Also I see you said 'maintain air superiority'. Do you actually know what air superiority means? Air superiority means that one could compel the other into a position of subordination. If anything IADS in Ukraine is only able to maintain air parity, where both sides operate inside the relative safety above the territory they control but could not control how the other operate above their own airspace.
Well, Russia didn't bring their air force to bear . She just resorted to using the glide bomb to minimize casualty. Sorry I meant can't forget the the 't both sides cannot maintain air superiority!

If NATO joins the fray I do not doubt that Russia will use everything they got to thwart any attempt to dominate the sky. She didn't even use the latest SAM SA 500 in the Ukraine conflict! And I am pretty sure China too will get involved China cannot just sit idle if Russia get invaded

Well, Russia didn't bring their air force to bear . She just resorted to using the glide bomb to minimize casualty. Sorry I meant can't forget the the 't both sides cannot maintain air superiority!

If NATO joins the fray I do not doubt that Russia will use everything they got to thwart any attempt to dominate the sky. She didn't even use the latest SAM SA 500 in the Ukraine conflict! And I am pretty sure China too will get involved China cannot just sit idle if Russia get invaded
The Russians aren't able to bring their Air Force because what they are able to do competently enough right now is harassing Ukrainian SAM site or destroying it in an isolated manner and not because of the pity of Russia to fellow Slavic country. The same applies for Ukraine., but the reason is their lack of assets and competence to do so.

The S-500 is not game changing weapon, it is still a traditional SAM system which needs a whole sets of infrastructure like early warning radar, fire control radar, command posts and other ISR assets to effectively work,all of which will be first priority to be hunted by NATO jets which not only outnumber but outperformed their Russian analogue.

Iran and NorKo are prolly the bigger (and more realistic) allies in this regards as they have supplied Russia with actual weapons, unlike China.
we are good on escalation ladder. now the Mullahs deliver 225 fath360 balistic missiles to the russian hooligans. the Israelis should lift up the restriction on Ukraine. there is no reason why the Jews shall sit idle. a US and EU total sanction on Iran coming.

What air power? If anything the Ukro-Russo war proved the viability of IAD both sides can't maintain air superiority because of the lethality of SAM. All those magic weapons (atacm, jdam) was defeated by the combination of Electronic warfare and close-range SAM
Lol. What war are you watching? ATACMS and HiMARS have pretty much taken out all of Crimea's s300/s400 batteries and likely have one or two battery left and Russia has moved all of their s300/400 batteries away from the frontline ever since the Belgorod s400 battery was destroyed by HiMARS. Which is why Ukraine Mig-29's (which they likely only have a dozen) is able to fly at high altitude and strike targets in Kursk and Volchanks, which is 2-4 kilometers from Russian border.

Russian air force only exist on paper they can't get anywhere near the frontlines at high altitude for fear of getting shot down by Patriot so they launch glide bombs 60-70kms away from frontlines. Russian CAP also doesn't exist since they can't stop Cessna size drones entering their airspace and can't shoot down Ukraine Mig-29's at high altitude close to Russian border.

US enters the war it is over in days for the Russian military in Ukraine. Every left over IADS will be easily taken out. Russians will be blind as US will have full superiority of the battle space picture and EM realm. No ground troops will ever be needed once US takes out russian logistics, ammo depots, rails and command and control, Ukraine troops would start easily pushing back russian troops now that Ukraine airspace is in full control by US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back