• English is the official language of this forum. Posts in other languages will receive a warning, except in threads where foreign languages are permitted.

Russian stealth fighter Su-75 Checkmate gets new configuration

GoMig-21

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2016
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Seems like the Su-75 Checkmate has received a new and possibly final pre-testing prototype design, much more along the lines of what we've been seeing in the new 6th generation designs that have been coming out with the absence of horizontal stabilizers and notched trailing edged wings. Looks dynamite and possibly better than the originally unveiled prototype at MAX-2021.

Russian stealth fighter Su-75 Checkmate gets new configuration.​

Sukhoi’s stealth jet has swapped the V-tail for a more conventional design in new patent designs, but the plane maker hasn’t confirmed changes so far.

Russia’s first single-engine stealth fighter, the Sukhoi Su-75 Checkmate was unveiled during MAKS 2021 two years ago with a very clear plan, to be an export product.

The reason is that the Russian Air Force had decided that it would only operate twin-engine fighters and the Checkmate came up with just one afterburning engine, something that had not happened since the appearance of the MiG-23 in the 1970s.

The state-owned United Aircraft Corporation (UAC), which controls Sukhoi, sought to offer a 5th generation aircraft at a lower price than the Lockheed Martin F-35 and thus help to rebuild the country’s aerospace industry.

1719330001767.png

The original design (top) vs new (bottom).

1719329961763.png

The invasion of Ukraine took place seven months later and plans regarding the Su-75 were unclear. Optimistic predictions about entry into service have given way to a longer schedule, but since then little has been seen of the aircraft beyond the full-scale mockup unveiled in 2021.

In the meantime, patent drawings of a hypothetical two-seater variant have emerged, as ADN has shown firsthand, as well as proposals to assemble it in countries such as India and the United Arab Emirates.

But days ago new information emerged in Russia, patent drawings in which Checkmate appears with its tail greatly modified.

Conventional tail, larger wings​

The drawings are of rather poor quality, but show important changes in its configuration, which would no longer use a V-tail to have orthodox vertical stabilizers.

The fighter also had the trailing edge of the wings would be elongated, joining a kind of diagonal fin next to the vertical stabilizers.

1719330145912.png

1719330354460.png

The two-seat version features canopy changes from the one we showed in November 2022, plus the engine nozzle appears shorter.

Most popular posts​

[wpp range=’last24hours’ wpp thumbnail_width=100 thumbnail_height=75 limit=3 stats_views=0 order_by=’views’]
The images were published on the Russian intellectual property service, but it is not clear if they are a studied version or if Sukhoi has indeed decided to improve the project.

This hypothesis was cited by Aviation & Week which attributed the change to studies to make the Checkmate more stealthy.

The Checkmate and Su-57 fighters (Rostec)

Despite the rush to have one more advanced fighter, Russia seems to be at a very early stage of the project, as not even the final configuration seems defined.

Needing to allocate resources to the production of more fighters, especially the Su-57 Felon, Russia may have to delay the development of the Checkmate for several years. Unless it finds a foreign partner capable of funding the project.

@The SC @Soldier35

Ali_Baba

May 27, 2018
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
It does look nice for sure - but knowing Russia - avionics/EW systems will suck as usual ( my view ) - i do think Egypt should look at this and get into the action if it does not like the idea of Ka'an or FC-31, as a development partner and contribute techology and workshare etc.

Last edited:

Raj-Hindustani

May 4, 2019
It does look nice for sure - but knowing Russia - avionics/EW systems will suck as usual ( my view ) - i do think Egypt should look at this and get into the action if it does not like the idea of Ka'an or FC-31, as a development partner and contribute techology and workshare etc.

Well, if India wants, it might follow the Su30Mki way and mix the platform with western avionics.

But the only problem is that they are not near F22/F35 aircraft.

Pingle

Banned
Dec 20, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Well, if India wants, it might follow the Su30Mki way and mix the platform with western avionics.

But the only problem is that they are not near F22/F35 aircraft.
No way any big ticket purchase from Russia now... they're bogged down in Ukraine and we are yet to receive our balance S400s..... it will be a foolish on India if she ever goes for Russian fighters which if I'm not wrong won't come to us before 2045.....

Raj-Hindustani

May 4, 2019
No way any big ticket purchase from Russia now... they're bogged down in Ukraine and we are yet to receive our balance S400s..... it will be a foolish on India if she ever goes for Russian fighters which if I'm not wrong won't come to us before 2045.....

yeah - not 5th gen fighter, but Tupolev PAK DA is a good aircraft.

that something, india needs to look it

UKBengali

Elite Member
May 29, 2011
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

I won't trust Russia with making a decent 5th generation engine anytime soon.

That is if they can even make a proper airframe in the first place.

Ali_Baba

May 27, 2018
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

They will struggle with a variable cycle engine for sure - they dont have something like GE/PW/RR where the civilian arm can support the military programme(or vice versa) etc but they have a stock of engines that can be used that would be good enough eg Saturn AL-41 engines . The challenge for Russia is to stake stealth shaping seriously and make the effort to make an airframe that has a low RCS value in the same league as the F-35 ( let alone the F22 which is still the king of the low RCS score ). Once they have a stealth shape that works, trying to manufacture that on mass with the high level of precision required will also be an issue for Russia. So - engines, avionics are a concern, aswell as Russia's ability to do a low observable low RCS stealth platform. Other than that, things are ok for Russia.

The Su-75 does look like a baby Tempest now !!!!

Last edited:

UKBengali

Elite Member
May 29, 2011
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
They will struggle with a variable cycle engine for sure - they dont have something like GE/PW/RR where the civilian arm can support the military programme(or vice versa) etc but they have a stock of engines that can be used that would be good enough eg Saturn AL-41 engines . The challenge for Russia is to stake stealth shaping seriously and make the effort to make an airframe that has a low RCS value in the same league as the F-35 ( let alone the F22 which is still the king of the low RCS score ). Once they have a stealth shape that works, trying to manufacture that on mass with the high level of precision required will also be an issue for Russia. So - engines, avionics are a concern, aswell as Russia's ability to do a low observable low RCS stealth platform. Other than that, things are ok for Russia.

The Su-75 does look like a baby Tempest now !!!!

I think Russia will have to swallow its pride and buy Chinese fighter aircraft.

They do not have the money or engineering talent to create modern fighter jets anymore.

Anyone that does not need the patronage of Putin like Syria's Assad will be a fool to buy any "5th gen" fighter jets from Russia.

Avicenna

Oct 17, 2016
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I think Russia will have to swallow its pride and buy Chinese fighter aircraft.

They do not have the money or engineering talent to create modern fighter jets anymore.

Anyone that does not need the patronage of Putin like Syria's Assad will be a fool to buy any "5th gen" fighter jets from Russia.

Really China and Russia should do a joint project.

I am sure there is alot of data the Russians are getting from modern western systems in use in Ukraine.

Why not combine resources and utilize the strengths of each nation on a single platform?

Imagine a J-16 in service in the Russia/Ukraine conflict.

Raj-Hindustani

May 4, 2019
Really China and Russia should do a joint project.

I am sure there is alot of data the Russians are getting from modern western systems in use in Ukraine.

Why not combine resources and utilize the strengths of each nation on a single platform?

Imagine a J-16 in service in the Russia/Ukraine conflict.
Russian has original su27/30/35 - why do need j16?

Anyway good idea partnership between Russia and china for 5th generation fighter

FuturePAF

Think Tank Analyst
Dec 17, 2014
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

It’s a now or never thing with Russian arms. They don’t have the market share, military or civilian, to subsidize much more advancements in their military tech. Their AL-51 is probably the best they will be able to put out for a good while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest