The LARGEST LIBRARY in the World is in China (But Where Are the Books?)

but my point is, nobody born after 1980 go to library anymore, my library card expired like decade ago, I mean, when is the last time you visit a library? Even just to use their toilet?
Lol, how can you , just one person, speak for the humanity, especially for we Chinese people? Tons of people go to libraries in China, as for me, as I mentioned, the national library of China is next to where I live and I have a card and go there regularly, you always tend to speak for others, remember, next time, speak for yourself is enough. You don't go to the library doesn't mean others don't, Americans don't go to libraries doesn't mean Chinese don't.

Lol, how can you , just one person, speak for the humanity, especially for we Chinese people? Tons of people go to libraries in China, as for me, as I mentioned, the national library of China is next to where I live and I have a card and go there regularly, you always tend to speak for others, remember, next time, speak for yourself is enough. You don't go to the library doesn't mean others don't, Americans don't go to libraries doesn't mean Chinese don't.
When did I speak for others?

I am asking you, that's not the same as speaking for others. Or did you missed the line "If China public library visit is enough to justify that big building, then good on you"?

And if I am speaking for others then aren't you doing the same? Just because you go to the Library everyday doesn't mean everybody in China did.

Last edited:
A physical place is fine, but putting a lot of money and try to recreate a dying atmosphere is probably not the best idea.

I mean sure, I am against closing down the library of congress (Which is THE BIGGEST library collection in the world) I too think history should be preserved physically but at the same time, I don't want to build a palace around it since that facilities using my tax money. A place to store all those manuscript is just that, a place.
I think that a library should be well-maintained because it shows commitment to preserving human knowledge and there are books and documents that can only be found in a library. The state should also encourage people including children to visit and use a library to gain knowledge. This is much better then kids wasting time on lame/useless content on phones.

Last edited:
When did I speak for others?

I am asking you, that's not the same as speaking for others. Or did you missed the line "If China public library visit is enough to justify that big building, then good on you"?

And if I am speaking for others then aren't you doing the same? Just because you go to the Library everyday doesn't mean everybody in China did.
How did I speak for others? I said tons of people using libraries in China, which is definitely a fact, I didn't use the word like "no one" or "everyone", and I spoke for myself because you asked me personally if I use on and I just replied your question. Remember, refrain from generalising other people and countries which you don't know much.
US likes to spend more money on wars and killings, China likes to spend on public facilities, countries have different policies, preferences and priorities.

It reads: "it's closing time but I really hate to leave". People love this place so much.
bei-jing-cheng-shi-tu-shu-guan-mian-feiwifi-re-shui-hai-you-sheng-jiang-zhuoface-screaming-in-fear_1_chi-yu-detropical-fish-jin-hua-ri-ji_lai-zi-xiao-hong-shu-wang-ye-ban-jpg.63576

Not only public libraries, private businesses like 自习室 , self study rooms are also super popular in China, people just like to find a reading friendly environment to read and study.

Surge in Demand for Guangzhou Paid Study Rooms

World’s biggest library reading space, in Beijing, was inspired by nature and designed to be a place where ‘everyone is under the same sky’

• The Beijing City Library houses the planet’s largest library reading space, designed to look like a valley of rice paddies with trees growing out of a river
  • The Norwegian architectural firm that won a competition to design the library described the space as a ‘reading landscape’
bf689cf9-15c4-4f64-a33a-94d767dace56_649f6d10.jpg

What do you picture at mention of the word “library”? Mountains? Rivers? Trees? Rice paddies?

Correct. At least in the case of shimmering new knowledge repository the Beijing City Library – which is where you’ll also find the planet’s largest library reading space, ratified by Guinness World Records.

At 21,809 square metres (235,000 square feet), the cavernous expanse incorporates the dominant section of a building that might look intergalactic to some of its target audience: all sorts of people of all ages.

Its copper-coloured, environmentally friendly roof is peppered with photovoltaic components to maximise generation of renewable energy from sunlight. Below it stand multi-laminated transparent walls up to 16 metres (52 feet) high, constituting China’s first self-supporting glass facade, its zigzag, folded design meaning one piece bolsters the next.

Up the valley sides are terraced “hills” of stepped seating recalling rice paddies; and gazing down on the whole ecosystem is a forest canopy of overlapping giant ginkgo leaves, in which the tops of glass-reinforced gypsum columns flare out, supporting the roof and draining rainwater for recycling. Real ginkgo trees have been planted outside.

The library’s overall sustainability quotient has earned it a Three-Star Green Building Evaluation Label, China’s highest ranking.

As designer – and Snohetta managing director for international projects – Robert Greenwood has described it, being inside the library is like “sitting under a tree reading a book”. Appropriate, given the generous use of solid white oak.

Beautiful building

Snøhetta have designed some of the most beautiful buildings in the world.

This is Oslo Opera House, also designed by Snøhetta.IMG_2943.jpeg

Paid self study rooms are also very poplar and a big business in China. You pay through your phone and go study in the room for some length of time depending on the fee you pay.

This is China, not Australia or US.
搜狗截图20240908151332.png

I think that a library should be well-maintained because it shows commitment to preserving human knowledge and there are books and documents that can only be found in a library. The state should also encourage people including children to visit and use a library to gain knowledge. This is much better than kids wasting time on lame/useless content on phones.
Well maintain is one thing, this is more than just well maintained, this is like building an entire Barns and Noble for 4 books. I get that people wanted a fully stocked Library for their leisure, but then there is a thing about the practicality, because we are paying for it, and especially so when the use of Library is in decline.

This is not a situation of "If you build it, they will come" Building a nice building to host book is not going to generate interest for library, people don't use them because you can just as easy to look up those knowledge online. That's the issue, not because your local library is old and dampy and small.....

As I said, if the concern is people are not getting to physically visit the Library, building it bigger and nicer is not really the way forward, the fund is better used to either engage the new generation or to acquire more material.

How did I speak for others? I said tons of people using libraries in China, which is definitely a fact, I didn't use the word like "no one" or "everyone", and I spoke for myself because you asked me personally if I use on and I just replied your question. Remember, refrain from generalising other people and countries which you don't know much.
US likes to spend more money on wars and killings, China likes to spend on public facilities, countries have different policies, preferences and priorities.

It reads: "it's closing time but I really hate to leave". People love this place so much.
bei-jing-cheng-shi-tu-shu-guan-mian-feiwifi-re-shui-hai-you-sheng-jiang-zhuoface-screaming-in-fear_1_chi-yu-detropical-fish-jin-hua-ri-ji_lai-zi-xiao-hong-shu-wang-ye-ban-jpg.63576
Dude, you are funny. You accuse me of speaking for others and then you are practically doing the same thing as me (Just in another spectrum) and then when I point this out, your reply is virtually the same as me.

If you didn't get the "no one born after 1980 visited library anymore" is a joke to say that is old fashion, instead of thinking of it as actually mean that (Which is impossible as no one can know actually how EVERYOINE above 44 think), then I got nothing more to say.

Dude, you are funny. You accuse me of speaking for others and then you are practically doing the same thing as me (Just in another spectrum) and then when I point this out, your reply is virtually the same as me.

If you didn't get the "no one born after 1980 visited library anymore" is a joke to say that is old fashion, instead of thinking of it as actually mean that (Which is impossible as no one can know actually how EVERYOINE above 44 think), then I got nothing more to say.
Dude, you are funny, I m in China and I see hordes of people go to libraries and paid self study rooms every day, don't let your jealousy go too far and restrain from the urge to badmouth China for things you know little about. I just posted some photos of a library in Beijing, why you get so upset? We Chinese believe the money was well spent, why you Australian are so pissed about it?

Dude, you are funny, I m in China and I see hordes of people go to libraries and paid self study rooms every day, don't let your jealousy go too far and restrain from the urge to badmouth China for things you know little about. I just posted some photos of a library in Beijing, why you get so upset? We Chinese believe the money was well spent, why you Australian are so pissed about it?
Again, what you see in a particular library does not represent the entire population in China, I mean did you go up and down the entire China to see how many people go to Library? By saying this mean "Chinese like to go to Library" itself is generalisation, you can't even say Beijian people like to go to the library just by looking at one library in Beijian alone. WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU ACCUSE ME OF DOING. Where I pointed out.

Lol, Jealous? You do know Beijing City Library only have a lousy 8 million collection; Library of Congress IS THE BIGGEST library in this world with 170 million plus collection trace back to earliest Human recording history, that's 20000 years before China was form ...Even Michigan State University Library have a bigger collection to Beijian City Library...that not even at Harvard Level....

1725799164883.png

1725799392364.png
In term of "City Library" 8 million collection will not even make top 100 in the US.......That's like Mid-Town Missouri Level

1725799683311.png

So do tell me what should I jealous about?

But then Did you see me open a thread about how big the collection is the Library of Congress are that dwarf any Chinese Library? I don't, because I don't care about Library, which is what my point is....

Last edited:
So do tell me what should I jealous about?

But then Did you see me open a thread about how big the collection is the Library of Congress are that dwarf any Chinese Library? I don't, because I don't care about Library, which is what my point is....
lol, you very behavior here manifects all your jealousy and frustration, why you get so upset, It's our Chinese library, we pay and build for it, you Australia doesn't. we don't need you Australian suggestions, go and take care your own busniess.

lol, you very behavior here manifects all your jealousy and frustration, why you get so upset, It's our Chinese library, we pay and build for it, you Australia doesn't. we don't need you Australian suggestions, go and take care your own busniess.
First, I probably pay more tax in China than you. So, it's MY money too.

Second. you still yet to tell me what should I be upset or Jealous about?

First, I probably pay more tax in China than you. So, it's MY money too.

Second. you still yet to tell me what should I be upset or Jealous about?
Your money, stop joking here, go and complain to the Chinese government and see if they take foreigners complaints. We Chinese love it, end of the story.

Your money, stop joking here, go and complain to the Chinese government and see if they take foreigners complaints. We Chinese love it, end of the story.
你係真唔係?我洗唔洗換番枝中國旗係Profile?

Do i need to change my flag in my profile? Dude, are you the new "Beijing" that don't know what "you" had been struggling in the last 10 years in this forum? Or did the previous guy didn't tell you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back