USS Benfold lost power in South China Sea, leaving crew of the US Navy warship without toilets, hot food and AC for 4 days

BHAN85

Trusted Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
6,627
Reaction score
5,198
Reputation
1,724.9
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG-65) spent four days in the South China Sea without power after an engineering failure, USNI News has learned.

Benfold suffered the engineering casualty resulting in a loss of power last month, Cmdr. Matthew Comer, spokesperson with U.S. 7th Fleet, told USNI News in a statement.

“On July 24, 2026, while conducting routine operations in the Indo-Pacific, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG 65) reported an engineering casualty involving its generators, causing a loss of power,” reads the statement. “There were no injuries to the crew, who demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism and unwavering steadiness in their response.”

The loss of power meant sailors were without galley services, toilets and air conditioning. Potable water was also affected, Comer said. He did not respond to a question about how sailors handled waste.

The George Washington Carrier Strike Group supported the destroyer, according to 7th Fleet. USS Robert Smalls (CG-62), the cruiser attached to the George Washington Carrier Strike Group, helped provide meals for the crew, Comer said.




USS George Washington is now heading to Iran, if something similar happens again in South China Sea, US Navy would need to ask help to PLA Navy to avoid die of starvation.
 

Did a Chinese Electronic Attack Just Disable a Top-Tier U.S. Destroyer? USS Benson Loses Power for Four Days​

August-20th-2026

e3xeblfzz4kh1-hero.jpg
U.S. Navy Destroyer USS Benfold

The U.S. Navy is investigating a serious engineering failure that left the Arleigh Burke class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold without power for four days while operating in the South China Sea. The destroyer suffered what the Navy described as an “engineering casualty involving its generators” on July 24, forcing the ship to remain without normal electrical power, forcing it to be towed to Subic Bay in the Philippines for repairs. The incident occurred while the USS Benfold was operating with the USS George Washington Carrier Strike Group, which has since been redeployed to the Middle East, leaving the Pacific without American carriers.


The loss of power left the USS Benfold unable to operate normally and required assistance from other vessels in the strike group. The USS Robert Smalls reportedly helped provide meals to the affected crew while the Navy organised the recovery. The Navy has not publicly disclosed the precise technical failure within the generator system, and an investigation remains underway to determine what caused the issue. The loss of electrical power affected galley services, toilets, air conditioning and potable water, leaving hundreds of sailors without many of the basic facilities normally available aboard a modern warship. The Navy said the crew responded professionally throughout the four-day ordeal and specifically praised their resilience and steadiness.

An Arleigh Burke class destroyer is heavily dependent on electrical power for its combat systems, sensors, communications and other equipment, meaning a prolonged generator failure can effectively remove a destroyer from combat operations even if its weapons and sensors remain physically intact. The incident therefore comes at a time when questions about U.S. Navy readiness and maintenance capacity are receiving increasing attention, with serious shortcomings having been repeatedly been highlighted during operations against Iran from late February.

Chinese PLA Navy Type 055 Class Destroyer - Currently Considered the World’s Most Capable Surface Combat Ship Class
Chinese PLA Navy Type 055 Class Destroyer - Currently Considered the World’s Most Capable Surface Combat Ship Class

In mid-2024 the U.S. Navy and the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy were reported to have engaged in intensive electronic warfare battles in the South China Sea near the Philippines. Electronic warfare engagements reportedly lasted a full twelve hours in the northern Philippines, and as a result American warships “faced an unprecedented crisis—screens full of static and a total loss of GPS signals,” with the fleet withdrawing due to the serious disruption of communication and navigation capabilities. The Navy’s electronic warfare equipment was assessed to be a full generation behind that of China, fuelling significant criticisms domestically.

Clashes in 2024 highlighted prevailing concerns raised in the Western world regarding the consequences of the vast discrepancies in the Chinese and American industrial bases, and in particular their shipbuilding and electronics industries, for the balance of power between the two states. The disabling of the USS Benfold is widely speculated to be the result of a similar engagement.

 

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back
Top