What book are you reading?

@Nilgiri @Joe Shearer @RescueRanger I am planning on reading Genghis Khan and the Making Of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford.
It will be an interesting book, I'm sure, but I no longer can bear to read the accounts of these killers. Whether Genghis, or Timur, or Nadir Shah, or the Osmanli emperors, or the savage crusaders, reading those accounts needs a detachment and composure that I have, I think, lost for ever.

It will be an interesting book, I'm sure, but I no longer can bear to read the accounts of these killers. Whether Genghis, or Timur, or Nadir Shah, or the Osmanli emperors, or the savage crusaders, reading those accounts needs a detachment and composure that I have, I think, lost for ever.

Yep pretty psychotic stuff. Not pleasant at all...but history worst moments also have to be learned from....people are not developed the same mentally, you have to create same environment everywhere somehow, or creatures of the environment sticks (though our potentials are the same, i.e the tabula rasa default). This even comes to valuation of basic innocent life at times. Collective humanity lurches past those extremely tribal times slowly with time in right direction away from it.

Sticking with just the Mongols, that nasty stuff changed especially Russia and China so much for their arcs to the present day and to some degree Iran as well (compared to central asia which subsumed their arcs with the mongols, you see some of that with Timur.... even though they greatly suffered at hands of Mongols)....that impact needs to be understood by more in end I feel.

Friend of mine was travelling across northern China and he was in inner mongolia taking a train....and it was very odd to see what he showed me later, that there was a big genghis khan statue there....coming into full view right from the railway line.

There is an odd mix of things going on there too....when really it should be a clear one. I have distaste already to Mongolia itself honouring Genghis Khan in modern day like it does.

I have a very different perspective on wars. In my opinion, soldiers should consider themselves living corpses the moment they join any military. The death of a soldier during combat no longer makes me feel even a shred of sadness but some happiness as he/she/they from their perspective tried to make this world a better place or at least attempted to do so by sacrificing their life.

Almost everyone wants to shape the world to their will. Expansionism is our nature. I no longer view expansionism as even remotely evil as long no unnecessary violence was used. By unnecessary violence, I mean any harm inflicted that cannot be logically defended as contributing to a higher probability of success or achieving a meaningful goal.

@Nilgiri @Joe Shearer Of course, you will heavily disagree with my view if not outright disgusted by it but this is what I believe.

Not pleasant at all...but history worst moments also have to be learned from....people are not developed the same mentally, you have to create same environment everywhere somehow, or creatures of the environment sticks
True, true; it's just that at the moment, I am feeling fragile, and unable to cope with the mental pictures these people conjure up. Think of Al Musta'sim wrapped in a rug and trampled by horses.

I have distaste already to Mongolia itself honouring Genghis Khan in modern day like it does.
And to the glorification of Timur, to take that parallel further, particularly in Uzbekistan, in Tashkent.

A1BtZbzG3qL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I have a very different perspective on wars. In my opinion, soldiers should consider themselves living corpses the moment they join any military. The death of a soldier during combat no longer makes me feel even a shred of sadness but some happiness as he/she/they from their perspective tried to make this world a better place or at least attempted to do so by sacrificing their life.

Almost everyone wants to shape the world to their will. Expansionism is our nature. I no longer view expansionism as even remotely evil as long no unnecessary violence was used. By unnecessary violence, I mean any harm inflicted that cannot be logically defended as contributing to a higher probability of success or achieving a meaningful goal.

@Nilgiri @Joe Shearer Of course, you will heavily disagree with my view if not outright disgusted by it but this is what I believe.

Well I was talking more about the wanton destruction of innocent life in pretty much genocidal ways by the Mongols et al.

After you defeat the fighting men and elite of a place you conquer, morally the civilians of the place are to be treated in proper way as they did not raise arms against you.

I have studied many conquering armies (from bronze age to common era), very few rank as badly as the Mongols regarding this from all the evidence/accounts we have at hand and contexts baked in.

Russia and China would recover in their own ways over time from the onslaught of the Genghis era....as horrifying as the accounts were there too at times.

Iran would never recover past its core plateau area, its sustained presence in central asia would never return. Some estimate a full 75% - 90% of its people were wiped out by the Mongol Genocide....as Iran (a Turco-Persian hybrid culture under the Khwarazmian empire) was actually quite concentrated outside its plateau at the time (alongside the central asian turkics) into the areas we call Merv, Nishapur, Samarkand etc.

The things that would set up later for hulagu and baghdad too (after the jebe and subutai arc was over).

What remains today is maybe the Tajik vestige, thats it.

How armies treat surrendered armies (and their commanders) morally, that can be another discussion w.r.t how geneva conventions came about and so on slowly.

That is separate moral caliber to treatment of civilians that I judge upon first.

I actually chatted with some Iranian friends elsewhere about this episode of distraught time. They have not forgiven the Mongols, but today's Mongolia is just much weaker and contained and no problem to them as they see it, so irrelevant thing to dwell on too much as they see it.

This one is hard to find in Pakistan, at least as far as the original copy is concerned.
Yes but a good one. If you have relatives abroad you may request them.

BD also has its agency in accepting this from Adani/Indian side....Hasina or no Hasina. Just like it has its agency in accepting and proceeding with projects/provisions from China and other big countries....or even from entities within itself wherever big money is required to get ball rolling on something critical base input related or infrastructure related.....all has erosive barganing power dynamic in the end that attaches a premium.

World is not a scam free place. India suffers from Adani/Ambani and such corporates for same reason....given govt and media are in cahoots with them to unacceptable degree i.e the big boy club gleichschaltung effect and no one really wanting to deal with getting elephant out of the room. It is in its worse relative state compared to say developed world, as the room is physically much smaller in India's case (given backlog consequence of not developing cohesively with the opportunities at hand since independence)....so the effect is all the more pronounced.

Then BD likewise with Hasina 15 year tenure got its portion of spillover of this...with its own rawer setting of less heavy capital corporates (but needing heavy capital, thus outsized role govt executive/autocrat plays with juggling that).

I will say this however, the bhakts on this thread stink to high heaven. They want to throw baby out with bathwater so bad as usual....and condemn all of Bangladesh to satisfy their selfish feelings.

When according to pew, its quite interesting to see the reality:

54% of BD muslims view India favourably, when 44% view SL favourably and 39% view Pakistan favourably.

Regd the overall BD population, it is maybe concerning that total favourability toward India has dropped from 70% (in 2014) to its current 57% (in 2024)....but this also might be driven by increase to DK/refuse to answer (from 1% in 2014 to 24% in 2024)....as the unfavourable rating also dropped from 29% (in 2014) to 19% (in 2024).

BD population, you need to break bread with them to understand things seriously, they are not some crazy anti-India population with Hasina keeping it all contained/suppressed. If you are fair to BD, it will be fair back to you. You are unfair to it, it will remember and be unfair back to you. It really isn't hard, it is like any other country and people in end, they all have their spread in sentiment/memory and ongoing exchange and practicalities regarding neighbour.

It is not unknown here in Canada....I told vcheng long time back about the canal fortifications here built to delay US forces (if deterrence proved insufficient) after 1812 experience till the RN could show up....i.e the strategic planning and faithful implementation regd the St lawrence to the great lakes.....Kingston being a lynchpin fulcrum....the move from York (now called Toronto) to Ottawa as capital (and its vital Rideau canal).....for that very reason as well (and also satsifying a quebecer qualm regd capital city, two birds with one stone)....some small strategic depth being better than literally none at all....

....but other than main canal waterways today, lot (feeder canals, defensive nodes etc) have now simply left to get silted up and grassed over and abandoned....making interesting exploration objects/areas for summer picnic activity or canal cruise....over passage of time generations moved on and sentiments moved with it (putting aside the drastic effect the US civil war had on itself later and its thinking that changed from it)....bigger human activities grew to occupy time and thinking, to intrude into and erode previous hostility....and rather larger threats from other continents grew in comparison than ones posed here to each other.

You have to be a 1% weirdo history + outdoors trek guy like me to find the old traces from before.... that mark a contrast forgotten by most today. One of my best buddies grew up very close to Niagara and likewise told me a lot about the Welland Canal history too, its competition with the American Erie canal network.....it wasnt all for fun and games trade/commerce....there was a strategic component that marked the 19th century, especially the early half given the war of 1812....and really how that came about due to the American 1776 revolution to begin with...given Canada was after all British till confederation happened in 1867 (accelerated in some part to again strategic consolidation needed locally w.r.t politics..... from US acquring Alaska..."uh oh civil war over, they're looking this way again!" etc etc.)

But bhakts, forum one-line blab type or otherwise don't know or dont care how to make friends outside of their circles....regd their own countrymen to begin with.....so what chance Bangladeshis have?

Goodwill that Dr. Shetty does, gets trampled on by fatass shah remarks, and all the other craphead sanghi gremlins trying to take everything down with them.

Then you have to rely on larger BD population sticking to better current and ignoring the nasty idiots....and positions of power they occupy.

BD itself is an immensity population wise and India is 7 times larger than that. This phenomenon is going to do its thing as to who is open minded and who is close minded in their % rates in each population.....lot of it is baked in. It just makes me sigh....and hope for best.

I cross the Welland a couple of times a month, and sometimes will chill along one of the locks just to appreciate the history behind all of it. The St. Lawrence Seaway itself has lots of such places to appreciate. One of my to-do items is Manic5, perhaps with the Trans-Labrador and/or the Gaspe Peninsula.

Not far from me is the Salmon Creek outlet of historic Pultneyville, not to mention lots of other sites from Fort Niagara to Sackets Harbor. And that's just this side.

Btw, regd the US Civil war and Canada..... I have this book sitting waiting to read at some point, I hope to get into it later in the year:

9781771861236-768x838.jpg

The US civil war is just one of those things that marked a massive sea change for the whole continent in massive ways. It can occupy several lifetimes of deep study...I wont have enough time in end haha....but it grabs so much of my attention regd the downstream today quite easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Country Watch Latest

Latest Posts

Back