Why India persists on Tejas mk 2

HAL Chief mentioned in an interview that Tejas MK2 is a crucial stepping stone toward the AMCA. advanced technologies incorporated in Tejas will directly contribute to the development of AMCA. naval version of Tejas is being used as a technology testbed for TEDBF
HAL isn't creating a showpiece propaganda fighter jet like the KAAN; they're developing a genuine 5th-generation fighter jet that will take its first flight with all systems integrated, just like the Tejas did in 2001. After that, it will undergo further modifications, testing, and certifications before entering production. As stated by the IAF Chief in his official press conference, this will be a real 5th-generation fighter jet, comparable to the F-35 or F-22.

Blessing in disguise for Pakistan. Thumbs Up to HAL (y)(y)(y) .

I don't see the point in tejas. Its already an obsolete plane compared to what china is fielding. If you are going to buy an American engine might as well just buy the plane.latest version of f-16,f15 , or kf-21 Rafael and focus solely on amca. Tejas makes sense against jf-17 but only 36 are in active service.

Wanna bet South Korea will have a domestic engine before kaveri? Joint partnership for a 5th generation development is a much better way to go about it. Save cost.

I don't see the point in tejas. Its already an obsolete plane compared to what china is fielding. If you are going to buy an American engine might as well just buy the plane.latest version of f-16,f15 , or kf-21 Rafael and focus solely on amca. Tejas makes sense against jf-17 but only 36 are in active service.

Indians planned for obsolete jets right from the start and that's why i said it's blessing in disguise for Pakistan.

If they are planning for 5th Gen comparable to F35/F22 when China will be fielding 6th Gen and working on 7th Gen. Even Pakistan might be planning to field 6th Gen by that time. The way Indians are working, Soon China will be two Gen ahead of India and Pakistan will be one Gen ahead of India.

Wanna bet South Korea will have a domestic engine before kaveri? Joint partnership for a 5th generation development is a much better way to go about it. Save cost.

Indians have infinite money and didn't need to save cost. They only need their own product, doesn't matter it's obsolete or not.

Last edited:
Tejas has been in development for a long time way before china had any 5th generation fighter. Joint development project is a much better option if you really think about it because u gain so much knowledge from others I'm sorry to say but indian aerospace industry is still behind that of uk,usa,Russia,France china heck even Japan. definitely not the time to go all alone.

Indian gives example of their space rocket cryogenic rocket engine success and compare it with HAL development path but they forget the main difference. They were behind the world when they started to work on rockets even behind Pakistan in 60's, thanks to US so they didn't wait for go for first liquid then solid then cryogenic but start working in parallel and reduce timelines so that they are standing with the world now. but in case of HAL they want to go for Tejas MK1 then MK1A (if not MK1B in between) then MK2 then AMCA. So they are planning for being obsolete from the start.

What if Made in India Rafale will replace Mirage 2000, Jaguars and Mig-29?

What is going to be the cost of a Made in India Rafale? North of USD 200 million each, including the cost for setting up a new assembly line.

Operating costs too are nearly double for twin engine fighters, which the IAF already has in large numbers (Su-30MKI, Rafale, Jaguar, MiG-29).

Tejas Mk2 in the Mirage-2000 weight class offers the range, payload and the right balance of capability versus affordable operating costs.

Besides, many of the systems going on AMCA are being first developed for the Tejas Mk2. They have a high degree of commonality between them.

Tejas has been in development for a long time way before china had any 5th generation fighter. Joint development project is a much better option if you really think about it because u gain so much knowledge from others I'm sorry to say but indian aerospace industry is still behind that of uk,usa,Russia,France china heck even Japan. definitely not the time to go all alone.

When process is more important then the end product and getting money for each and every step is real objective then things won't happen in this way.

Hal really lose out on fgfa prototype joint development with sukhoi. Su-57 despite what anyone says still a better aircraft than Rafael and much cheaper.Rafale is not stealth and it has no TVC or super agility with much more limited payload.

What is going to be the cost of a Made in India Rafale? North of USD 200 million each, including the cost for setting up a new assembly line.

Operating costs too are nearly double for twin engine fighters, which the IAF already has in large numbers (Su-30MKI, Rafale, Jaguar, MiG-29).

Tejas Mk2 in the Mirage-2000 weight class offers the range, payload and the right balance of capability versus affordable operating costs.

Besides, many of the systems going on AMCA are being first developed for the Tejas Mk2. They have a high degree of commonality between them.

To be honest 1st Sensible and logical reply from an indian member. I can still give arguing comments just for the sake of comments on this but as your points could be debatable but are not wrong so i refrain myself. 😇

Hal really lose out on fgfa prototype joint development with sukhoi. Su-57 despite what anyone says still a better aircraft than Rafael and much cheaper. Rafale is not stealth and it has no TVC or super agility with much more limited payload.

For Indians Stealth is over-rated and Rafale is equivalent to F35. Even Rafale F5 is better than F35. Only Tejas is comparable to Rafale F5 and MK2 will be better than Rafale F5

Indians like to say jf-17 are only for poor countries. But wheres the interest for tejas. Iraq and Azerbaijan are both oil rich countries. Comparing tejas to jf-17 is like lowering your standard if you aspire to become a great power...,..

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back