Why India persists on Tejas mk 2

I don't think U.S. will ever agree to integrate American missiles with Tejas, since India had to go through intense negotiations just to obtain a non-lethal system like engine.

Why should India not Induct Tejas mark one and Two
The last time I checked
Pakistan is still fielding over 100 Second generation mirages and even more third generation thunders
China still has Hundreds of F7 and majority of it's fleet ie 75% is 4th generation j10/flankers

So please dispense with the Disney crap about 6th generation for now

The last time I checked
Pakistan is still fielding over 100 Second generation mirages and even more third generation thunders
China still has Hundreds of F7 and majority of it's fleet ie 75% is 4th generation j10/flankers

A fifth-generation fighter jet has a well-defined set of criteria, and any aircraft that does not meet these standards is fourth-generation. Terms like '4.5 generation,' '4.7 generation,' or '5th generation minus' are not true classifications. The concept of a sixth-generation fighter jet also lacks a clear definition at this time. It's similar to Lockheed Martin rebranding an upgraded F-16 as F-21 and attempting to sell it to India.

The last time I checked

Another example. Rafale production line is busy till 2030, but some jealous clowns here are yapping that "it will be too late".

My take on this.

First, IAF want decent numbers in medium category and ideally want Rafale, however it’s expensive to afford in numbers as India is a developing country with other priorities also.

Secondly, 4.5 generation planes are here to stay until 2050 so even if MK2 comes online in 2030, it would be useful for 20 odd years.

Third, I reckon IAF have been told by government that Rafale will be only available in small numbers thus MK2 is the only option for them, and decent numbers can be only achieved with local jet. The local production of Rafale would be even more expensive than buying directly from France as Dassault will double dip with charging royalties, consulting work with French personnel and required tooling for manufacturing eco-system set up.

Fourth, IAF doctrine/strategy comprises light, medium and heavy weight thus MK2 fits the low-cost home-grown medium platform with decent numbers.

Fifth, all parties including IAF are hesitant on focusing all their energies with AMCA, and more importantly MK2 up in the air can demonstrate to all concerned such as HAL, IAF and government that it can done. Don’t think HAL has fully convinced anyone that they can meet the deadlines with Mk1A being late now almost 6 months. Before people justifying this with engine delays, want to say, GE engine issue is a copout , I’m in program/project management and availability of engines would be critical on my project risk register and would have escalated that issue at least 6 months before the due date of March this year, and have mitigation strategies in place to deliver MK1A before 31st of March as promised so I reckon it’s just a ploy to divert attention.

Lastly and most importantly, Indian economy, size and influence demand a decent 4.5 generation fighter, we can call it ego or whatever and it would be a collective shame to buy a 4.5 generation with all the resources and know how that India has.

Induct and delivery are two different things. So far 0 tejas mk1a in service Because of no engine. Like I said if you are going to rely GE to deliver then might as well look for a backup plan.

The last time I checked

So your telling me a tejas is better than j-10c. J-16 is still the best flanker. And they are both 4.5 generation. J-7 and j-8 are pretty much training role lol. Because there are 626 j-10,350 j-20 and 350 j-16 in active fleet. India fleet is aging so there should be an alternative instead of of relying solely on Hal and GE to deliver on schedule lol

Tejas and jf-17 are pretty comparable in size so that's why people tend to compare them often.jf-17 is still a pretty damn good plane . There are still many countries showing interest in it like Argentina before now Iraq and Azerbaijan both are looking for a light aircraft and they have money from oil sale. And u can't compare the two when there are close to 200 jf-17 in active service.

Integrating Meteor missiles with F-16 is either not possible or not practical due to the aircraft's very old design. If it were feasible, Lockheed Martin would have done it by now, but so far, not a single F-16 has been equipped with Meteor missile.

You're getting it all wrong.

The US wants to sell it's own AMRAAMs with the F-16 Block 70s it is selling. And if any customer wants it's F-16s to fire Meteors, it needs MBDA to integrate the Meteor with the F-16's radar and onboard computers. MBDA will only do that if LM and it's radar supplier (Raytheon) agrees to share the source codes for the F-16's onboard computers and radar with MBDA. That isn't going to happen.

So that's why there's no Meteor on the F-16. It has nothing to do with the F-16's design, which was upgraded significantly when the F-16 Block 50/52 was developed.

So your telling me a tejas is better than j-10c. J-16 is still the best flanker. And they are both 4.5 generation. J-7 and j-8 are pretty much training role lol. Because there are 626 j-10,350 j-20 and 350 j-16 in active fleet. India fleet is aging so there should be an alternative instead of of relying solely on Hal and GE to deliver on schedule lol

I take Chinese numbers with a pinch of salt
In fact there is probably no where near those numbers in service any way you got off wipikedia almost certainly

Second the j10c is not superior to Tejas mark1a which has better USA engine and lower rcs and supports much bigger range of Indian and western weapons

Yes it's not in mass production but no way is j10 superior

If so then please explain how

I take Chinese numbers with a pinch of salt
In fact there is probably no where near those numbers in service any way you got off wipikedia almost certainly

Second the j10c is not superior to Tejas mark1a which has better USA engine and lower rcs and supports much bigger range of Indian and western weapons

Yes it's not in mass production but no way is j10 superior

If so then please explain how
Whatever makes you feel better my guy. Xd how many usa engine has been delivered btw? A big 0

J-10C features an active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar, a glass cockpit, a helmet-mounted display (HMD), an infrared search and track (IRST) system, and improved avionics and weapons. The J-10C is powered by a WS-10B turbofan engine that produces 142 kN of thrust with afterburner. The J-10C can carry up to 6.8 tons of weapons on 11 hardpoints, including PL-12 and PL-15 beyond visual range air-to-air missiles (BVRAAMs), PL-9 and PL-10 within visual range air-to-air missiles (WVRAAMs), LS-6 precision-guided bombs, YJ-91 anti-radiation missiles, and KD-88 air-to-surface missiles. J-10c will be supplemented by force multipliers like awacs ,ground based radar and air defense system. As for the numbers of j-10, there are over 700 j-10 numbers built. If anything wiki is still behind in terms of j-20 and j-16 numbers lol

Tejas mk2a might be closer to j-10c than mk1a let's be real here. Lol
there are currently 0 mk1a in active service which is meaningless comparison and China probably don't produce j-10c anymore now onto j-16d and j-20 and some naval variants of j-15 soon j-35.... China has vastly way more awacs than India currently have and it's not even close.

Tejas mk2a might be closer to j-10c than mk1a let's be real here. Lol
there are currently 0 mk1a in active service which is meaningless comparison and China probably don't produce j-10c anymore now onto j-16d and j-20 and some naval variants of j-15 soon j-35.... China has vastly way more awacs than India currently have and it's not even close.

Pakistan has vastly more AWACS then India has too.

In the information age IAF will be fighting blind

India will be shooting it's own jets like in 2019 India–Pakistan border skirmishes. 5 awacs, no bombers, and an aging fleet. Sheesh. Forget about 2 fronts war. Even paf is giving iaf a run for its money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back