Why India persists on Tejas mk 2

The operative word is OPEX. The operational costs for F-16 are a fraction of the costs for other major platforms. The F-16 is a potent platform with all the avionics upgrades and weapon systems. The F-16 with AIM-120 and AIM-260 (if it works with F-16s) can be useful for decades.
Even the upgraded F-16 can't fire Meteor missile, something Tejas can do with ease—provided MBDA agrees to share the source codes.

The operative word is OPEX. The operational costs for F-16 are a fraction of the costs for other major platforms. The F-16 is a potent platform with all the avionics upgrades and weapon systems. The F-16 with AIM-120 and AIM-260 (if it works with F-16s) can be useful for decades.

the only catch I may add is the airframes. I am not sure how well the old airframes will hold up

Even the upgraded F-16 can't fire Meteor missile, something Tejas can do with ease—provided MBDA agrees to share the source codes.

For now MBDA has not released Meteor for Tejas. I expect it to change sometime in the future

I see no reason why Lockheed cannot get the Meteor to work on the F-16. If it is the difference between getting an IAF contract or not I can see Lockheed getting MBDA to agree.

I take it at some point India would want domestic missiles on both Tejas and imported combat aircraft

For now MBDA has not released Meteor for Tejas. I expect it to change sometime in the future

I see no reason why Lockheed cannot get the Meteor to work on the F-16. If it is the difference between getting an IAF contract or not I can see Lockheed getting MBDA to agree.
Integrating Meteor missiles with F-16 is either not possible or not practical due to the aircraft's very old design. If it were feasible, Lockheed Martin would have done it by now, but so far, not a single F-16 has been equipped with Meteor missile.

What's the point of using Meteor with Tejas when Astra MK3 is in Indian hand?

It's always the same ...

Tejas Mk.2 will be the best when powered by indigeniously produced F414 engines ... provided GE agrees to share the TOT.

Get mature and accept, the world is not waiting for India!

Indeed, Only condition was Indian Radar, not Israeli. Which will come after 40th airframe..

What's the point of using Meteor with Tejas when Astra MK3 is in Indian hand?
I never said that Meteor is a necessity for Indian Air Force. I was comparing the capabilities of Tejas with F-16. Modern weapons, whether it's Meteor, Astra MK3, or BrahMos NG, work best with modern fighter jets.

Indeed, Only condition was Indian Radar, not Israeli. Which will come after 40th airframe..

you mean they will integrate the missile with Indian radar not Israeli radar

meteor is not necessary because Astra MK3 is going through trials
Wrong, SFDR is Meteor replacement, as per defence sources despite two stages Astra Mk2 dimensions will be very close to MK1, so NEZ will be increased substantially, but total range will be 140 km only.

That is interesting they treat Elta as a serious commercial threat
Indian made UTTAM AESA radar will unlock Tejas' full potential, not only because it’s GaN-based and more powerful, but also because it will enable Tejas to fire Indian, Russian, and Israeli weapons. Currently, it can only fire Indian and Israeli weapons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back