1st HANGOR Class Submarine of Pakistan Navy has been launched at Shuangliu

On April 26th, the first Hangor class submarine (referred to as Kirin class by the Chinese side) of the Pakistani Navy was launched at the Shuangliu Base of China's Wuchang Shipbuilding Industry Group. Representatives of Wuchang Shipbuilding Industry Group Co., Ltd. and China Shipbuilding Industry International Co., Ltd., as well as senior Pakistani and Chinese officials, attended the launch ceremony. Admiral Navid Ashraf, Chief of Staff of the Pakistani Navy, attended the event as the chief guestScreenshot_20240429_151636_Baidu.jpgGeneral Navid Ashraf emphasized the importance of maritime security in the current geopolitical environment of the region during his speech at the ceremony, as well as the commitment of the Pakistani Navy to ensuring a safe and favorable maritime environment for all. He added that the Han Gore class submarines equipped with the most advanced weapons and sensors will play a crucial role in maintaining peace and stability in the region. While acknowledging the unremitting efforts of China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (CSIC), he expressed satisfaction with the progress of the project and stated that the Hangore class submarine will undoubtedly add new dimensions to the tested friendship between China and Pakistan.On July 23, 2015, the Pakistani government signed a contract worth approximately $5 billion with China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (then part of China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation, now part of China Shipbuilding Corporation) to build eight S26 submarines for the Pakistani Navy. The S26 submarine is an export model of the 039B submarine of the People's Liberation Army Navy, with a surface displacement of 2300 tons and an underwater displacement of 3000 tons, measuring 77.6 meters in length (previously reported to be 66 meters in length), using an AIP propulsion system, and equipped with six 533mm torpedo launchers. The submarine was later named the Hangor class submarine by the Pakistani Navy. According to the contract terms, China will build four submarines for Pakistan, and the other four will be built at the Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Plant in Karachi, Pakistan.Screenshot_20240429_151911_Baidu.jpg
Four submarines built with Chinese assistance at Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Plant will be delivered by the end of 2028. The construction of S26 submarines for Pakistan is carried out by Wuhan Shuangliu Shipbuilding Group Wuchang Shipyard, a subsidiary of China Shipbuilding Corporation. This is a new shipyard located in the Gulong Industrial Zone of Wuhan. There is currently little information about the construction progress of these submarines in China, but it is understood that the naming ceremony for the first Han Gore class submarine was held in Wuhan on April 29, 2019, and it was named the "Han Gore".
Screenshot_20240429_152202_Baidu.jpg
Eight Hangor class submarines will greatly enhance the strength of the Pakistani Navy. After the project is completed, Pakistan is likely to enhance its anti intervention regional denial capability in the region. Although the official weapon system has not been confirmed yet, if the Hangor class submarines are equipped with Babur 3 submarine launched cruise missiles, Pakistan will gain depth strike capability

There are online reports in China that China has transferred conventional submarine construction technology to Pakistan, and the last four Hangor submarines will be built in Pakistan. It is the Pakistani version of the Chinese submarine 039b
“A few years ago, China and Pakistan signed a major military procurement agreement involving the purchase of eight S-26 conventional submarines, with a total contract amount of 5 billion US dollars. This agreement not only involves the purchase of submarines, but also includes technology transfer and cooperative production, reflecting the depth of military cooperation between the two countries”As far as I know, the submarine trade between China and Thailand does not include technology transfer,It is worth mentioning that China's 039b can load non VLS YJ18.The Hangor class and 039b are of the same origin, and it is a question mark whether Pakistan's transaction also includes the YJ-18 anti-ship submarine launched cruise missileScreenshot_20240429_155136_Baidu Translate.jpg

Last edited:
SSBN and SLBM projects will be extremely long with current financial situation and technical know how its extremely difficult to develop SSBN and SLBM tech in-house and don't think China will give their strategic tech to develop SLBM and SSBN, so we wisely move to much cheaper and more accurate methods to cover India SSK +SLCM combos
Kind of agree with that. I think SLBM tech is not an issue its not something new its decades old tech. It will takes max 4 to 5 years to make it . The main problem SSBN its is expensive keeping in mind operational and maintenance cost also. I think navy played smart with the available options and resources by trying to get SLCM first . but Its time to start project of SSBN we can take onboard some countries like turkey and also china for some input. Some one told me india navy plans to add 6 nuclear submarines in next 10 years or so. So it will be wise to start investing and gradually make progress on this project it can take time but once it will completed it will be very fruitful.

Kind of agree with that. I think SLBM tech is not an issue its not something new its decades old tech. It will takes max 4 to 5 years to make it . The main problem SSBN its is expensive keeping in mind operational and maintenance cost also. I think navy played smart with the available options and resources by trying to get SLCM first . but Its time to start project of SSBN we can take onboard some countries like turkey and also china for some input. Some one told me india navy plans to add 6 nuclear submarines in next 10 years or so. So it will be wise to start investing and gradually make progress on this project it can take time but once it will completed it will be very fruitful.

Not a priority for atleast this decade. The highest priority is creating conventional balance and credible A2/AD. Pakistan navy is a very small fleet in comparison to India. We need submarines to counter the indian fleet. Dedicating submarines for nuclear SLBM is not an option. We need attack submarines which are a threat to Indian navy.

However, SLBM and dedicated subs with nukes may only be an option once we have enough of a fleet to counter IN fleet OR create anti-access / area denial.

I don't understand this obsession with nuclear triad when we literally have no money. Indo-pak scenario vastly differs from US / Russians. They each had above 5000 nukes with far more destruction capabilities and above all these nations were NOT neighbors, they had liberty to use nuclear weapons without destroying their own populations either with impact OR radiations. Pakistan / India can never go to the point of destroying each other like that. We have to use any resources smartly. Instead of a single submarine with nuclear BMs, I would like 4 more attack submarines in that cost. or possibly air-defense destroyers. Something that can be actually used in a war. Nuclear carrying missile sub is not going to be used in the war at all. The little skirmish of 2019 saw the use of conventional weapons F-16s, JF-17s. It didn't see the use of Shaheen missiles. The later are for dooms day only, which shouldn't happen at all if you have have balanced conventional capabilities with your adversary.

how many heavy torpedoes and SLCMs can be stored in Hangor ?
how much is the range of babur SLCM ? and, any Vertical launch tubes ?

SSBN and SLBM projects will be extremely long with current financial situation and technical know how its extremely difficult to develop SSBN and SLBM tech in-house and don't think China will give their strategic tech to develop SLBM and SSBN, so we wisely move to much cheaper and more accurate methods to cover India SSK +SLCM combos
Issue is just not that we have ballistic missile launching nuclear submarines, we get it or not

the real issue is SSBN requires safe bastions any body who know about the SSBN operations (mind you i am not talking about SSGNs) knows that.

SSBNs are actually more venerable to anti sub ops then SSGNs. they require safe space and to provide that we require SSGNs as well.

its very very complicated for Pakistan

Not a priority for atleast this decade. The highest priority is creating conventional balance and credible A2/AD. Pakistan navy is a very small fleet in comparison to India. We need submarines to counter the indian fleet. Dedicating submarines for nuclear SLBM is not an option. We need attack submarines which are a threat to Indian navy.

However, SLBM and dedicated subs with nukes may only be an option once we have enough of a fleet to counter IN fleet OR create anti-access / area denial.

I don't understand this obsession with nuclear triad when we literally have no money. Indo-pak scenario vastly differs from US / Russians. They each had above 5000 nukes with far more destruction capabilities and above all these nations were NOT neighbors, they had liberty to use nuclear weapons without destroying their own populations either with impact OR radiations. Pakistan / India can never go to the point of destroying each other like that. We have to use any resources smartly. Instead of a single submarine with nuclear BMs, I would like 4 more attack submarines in that cost. or possibly air-defense destroyers. Something that can be actually used in a war. Nuclear carrying missile sub is not going to be used in the war at all. The little skirmish of 2019 saw the use of conventional weapons F-16s, JF-17s. It didn't see the use of Shaheen missiles. The later are for dooms day only, which shouldn't happen at all if you have have balanced conventional capabilities with your adversary.
There should be aerial denial. conventional subs and SSBN serves different roles you can not just say that get more conventional subs instead of ssbns because they cannot do role of SSBNS and similarly SSBNS cannot do role of conventional subs. There should balance of both. above i highlighted financial constraints. But to solve it not to raise hand say it can never be done. .CPEC holds key to pak growth its a strategic asset it should be protected at any cost and who do not want it to succeed every one knows. And there is no obsession with SLBM if there is a threat to national security and territorial integrity. It should be solved there should be no compromise on it. It will be an national asset not of someone individual. Russia and usa is different ball game still cuba crisis happened

Really? Please name the ones whoch have them and the types. And no, I am literally repeating what has been public for years.
Why do you think all ICBMs that USA/Russia/China/UK/France and India developed ballistic missiles without pen aids and decoys lol

No SLBM are more complex technology than you think and with a current economy its will take extremely long time to complete both projects 25 to 30 years to complete and don't think that China or some other countries will help you to develop SSBN/SLBM projects because these technologies are their top secret and strategic techs

Last edited:
No SLBM are more complex technology than you think and with a current economy its will take extremely long time to complete both projects 25 to 30 years to complete and don't think that China or some other countries will help you to develop SSBN/SLBM projects because these technologies are their top secret and strategic techs
Sounds mostly true I only disagree SLBM tech it is with in reach. Still hoping project to be started completed around 10 12 years 🤞

Sounds mostly true I only disagree SLBM tech it is with in reach. Still hoping project to be started completed around 10 12 years 🤞
No country will share it SLBM tech to us and SLBM is totally different and more complex tech as compare to land based ballistic missiles tech and more importantly where the $$$ will come for these super expensive projects?, we are currently cash stripped country

Last edited:
You said so in your previous post, saying that tell me the name and type of ballistic missiles which uses pen aids and decoys they used
Oh. I am so sorry, I thought I was talking to a person who knew what they were talking about.
My mistake.

I thought you knew your stuff. The difference between strategic nuclear carrying missiles and others.
And the kill probabilities against each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back