Bangladesh Air Force

What? No! One of them died. It was an accident. Aircraft failed. Yak-130 has a shitty track record.

Unfortunately the aircraft didn't fail. Pilot clearly made a barrel roll at a really low altitude over what looks like a short runway or roadway, lost orientation then belly-slammed the Yak into the ground which caused the eventual fire in the short clip that was first posted.

But this longer clip clearly shows what happened and it's a miracle not only that he completed the roll because if he hadn't, they would've slammed the ground inverted and that would've been the end of it. Instead, he was able to keep that thing flying enough to it get high enough and over the water for both pilots to eject safely.

And credit Russian-built rugged aircraft, too. But clearly this was pilot bad judgement which is why I asked if he's had disciplinary action taken on him.

And did he die from some ejection injury or something? Because they both clearly ejected and parachutes deployed and they both looked like they landed in the water safely. Not sure why or how he was killed.

Those videos are awesome. Great footage and some excellent flying skillz there. Those MiG-29s are fantastic and so are the F-7s, even better with those color schemes, especially the blues.

Do you know if the pilot is facing any disciplinary charges or anything of the sort? And was he training for an upcoming airshow or was he just doing the flying and doing the rolls on his own?
Looks like they lost flight controls then hit the ground and caught fire… then they took the jet nearby the waters and ejected. Not sure if the plane malfunctioned or they did stunts

Looks like they lost flight controls then hit the ground and caught fire… then they took the jet nearby the waters and ejected. Not sure if the plane malfunctioned or they did stunts

To me it's clear TBH that he was attempting a barrel/aileron roll over the runway at that very low altitude and coming out of the roll he lost orientation with the stick than any malfunction.

After it belly-scraped the ground is definitely when the aircraft started malfunctioning for obvious reasons. But if you're suggesting the aircraft malfunctioned from the start causing the aircraft to go into a roll like that? I highly doubt it. Even if it started during the roll.

For a malfunction to cause an aircraft like that to perfectly roll up to the inverted position and attempt to complete the full roll and then plumet to the ground like it did would mean that as soon as it reached the inverted position and right during the process of completing the full roll, somehow the horizontal stabilizers got stuck in the nose-down pitch attitude.

I suppose anything is possible, sure. But that is almost unheard of. As a matter of fact, has it ever happened before? This kind of accident or similar certainly has happened before and it's always been determined as pilot error. Why I was wondering if there was any news of this Bangladeshi pilot being charged with anything. And if anyone knows if it was the training pilot or the instructor who was flying the aircraft?

The only other instances are bird ingestions into the engines and that happened too with Anatoly Kvotchur's MiG-29 at Farnborough Air Show in 1983 I believe. As well as the Canadian CF-18 a few years ago.

But this Bangladesh AF incident reminds me of two similar accidents at airshows in a French Mirage 2000 and Russian Su-30MKI, both coming out of some kind of stunt and scraped the ground damaging the bottom of the fuselage & engine nacelles to where the aircraft catches fire in its ass end.

Of course the worst one ever in the history of mankind was the Ukrainian Su-27 when it hit the ground except that one plowed into the audience killing 100+ IIRC.

Su-30MKI

Mirage 2000 (footage sucks but it's the only one available. Interesting thing about this incident is when it impacts the ground very like the Bangladeshi Yak-130 and bounces up, it looks like an RC toy. Even other normal Mirage 2K airshows that particular aircraft because of its size & shape and nimbleness often looks like a flying toy)

Last edited:
We know now why there was no procurement of fighter aircraft or acquisition of the 6 frigates, don't we?

I hope there is a new government that fast tracks these.

Those programs should be cancelled or revised at least. Let me explain why I think so.

In some way, they were kind of like BAL's mega development projects that shows some visible modernization, but not exactly what we need. I mean, yes we do need advanced new generation fighters and frigates ultimately, but not now. There are prerequisites lacking that are imperative to utilize said fighters and frigates to their intended roles within national defense strategy.

First, there are limited funds, hence it should be allocated based on priority need. Both fighter and frigate programs combined were projected to cost $5-5.5 billions at least. ($3 billions for Eurfighter and $2.5 billions for the frigates)

And I can guarantee you, given the state of forex right now we simply won't afford that much USD to spend on defense procurement in next 2/3 years. Yet, the armed force modernization already been delayed too long. So, what do we do?

Realistically, perhaps around $2 billions fund can allocated within short term. And those prerequisites I mentioned previously are, first and foremost long range high altitude air and missile defense system. (AMD)

Otherwise, if we spend huge sum of $3 billions on super expensive 16x Eurofighters. Yet most of those are destroyed on the ground by intensive enemy missile strikes of all kinds, specially BMs in the early hours of the conflict before they make to the fight in the sky, imagine how tremendous the moral and the capability loss it would be. And that huge sum of money would be wasted. Like this-

Hence, it would be much more adequate to procure at least 2x batteries of fully BMD capable long range AD system. SAMP/T NG from Italy or France is the right choice as we won't afford MIM-104 patriot. Two batteries would cost around $1 billions.

And obviously, those are not just about protecting air bases where future expensive fighters will be housed. Long range high altitude AMD systems is much more than that. It provides protection to ground formations against enemy air and missile threats. Its protective air bubbles is more capable of keeping enemy air assets at bay compared to traditional fighter interceptors. How?

Well, 16x Eurfighters maybe able to take on 32x IAF jets leveraging its qualitative advantage if they makes it to the fight in the sky, (Which it won't if there isn't any AMD system protecting them on the ground to begin with) but then IAF has far more assets to throw at our 16x Eurofighters and they will simply overwhelm them in the end.

On the other hand, hit to kill capable AMD system can withstand intense enemy air and missile strikes until the last interceptor. (specially ballistic missiles, which are a huge threat and can't be shot down by fighter jets) We saw how well system like Patriot and SAMP/T is performing in Ukraine. Fending of intense air raids and keeping mighty Russian air force from gaining air superiority.

In a nutshell, modern AMD provides more bang for the bucks compared to expensive fighter jets. And as of now simply we can't afford both. So, it is clear which one we need to prioritize.

One could argue, unlike AMD systems, fighter jets provide offensive capabilities to destroy enemy formation and air assets on the ground. It is true, however, 16x Eurofighters are too few and would be eliminated by IAF long before they could do any of it at scale.

On the other hand, we can leave the offensive capabilities to army's long range operational and strategic artillery capabilities and invest more in it. System like TRG-300 GMLRS and Khan tactical ballistic missiles batteries when despersed are much more survivable and hard to find and kill. Those would be much efficient and offer persistent and greater volume of firepower compare to what 16x can potentially carry. We saw that with HIMARS and ATACMS's outstanding performance in Ukraine.

And given the proximity of IAF Eastern command's air bases to our geography, it is the most optimized solution. Also, I believe Myanmar can be deterred with our long range surface to surface fires.

And frankly, in the long run we should look to procure BVR capable stealth UCAV instead of traditional super expensive 4.5th fighters. The only advantage Eurfighter has over something like Baykar Kızılelma, is higher payload and longer range. Both are relevant if we are planning to bomb Delhi, but we aren't. Also, keep in mind that we are never going to match IAF in one to one.

Our main goal is to prevent enemy air superiority. Given its stealth advantage, Kızılelma is better fit for the role as we have a very small airspace to defend. Also, we can procure 3x of it for the cost of a single Eurofighters. And unlike Eurofighters those have much smaller logistical footprint and can potentially be operated from highways. Reducing the risk of being destroyed at ground.

As for the navy, we should allocate $1 billion to modern AIP submarine procurement instead of the frigate program. @LeonBlack08 @Joe Shearer

Last edited:
Those programs should be cancelled or revised at least. Let me explain why I think so.

In some way, they were kind of like BAL's mega development projects that shows some visible modernization, but not exactly what we need. I mean, yes we do need advanced new generation fighters and frigates ultimately, but not now. There are prerequisites lacking that are imperative to utilize said fighters and frigates to their intended roles within national defense strategy.

First, there are limited funds, hence it should be allocated based on priority need. Both fighter and frigate programs combined were projected to cost $5-5.5 billions at least. ($3 billions for Eurfighter and $2.5 billions for the frigates)

And I can guarantee you, given the state of forex right now we simply won't afford that much USD to spend on defense procurement in next 2/3 years. Yet, the armed force modernization already been delayed too long. So, what do we do?

Realistically, perhaps around $2 billions fund can allocated within short term. And those prerequisites I mentioned previously are, first and foremost long range high altitude air and missile defense system. (AMD)

Otherwise, if we spend huge sum of $3 billions on super expensive 16x Eurofighters. Yet most of those are destroyed on the ground by intensive enemy missile strikes of all kinds, specially BMs in the early hours of the conflict before they make to the fight in the sky, imagine how tremendous the moral and the capability loss it would be. And that huge sum of money would be wasted. Like this-

Hence, it would be much more adequate to procure at least 2x batteries of fully BMD capable long range AD system. SAMP/T NG from Italy or France is the right choice as we won't afford MIM-104 patriot. Two batteries would cost around $1 billions.

And obviously, those are not just about protecting air bases where future expensive fighters will be housed. Long range high altitude AMD systems is much more than that. It provides protection to ground formations against enemy air and missile threats. Its protective air bubbles is more capable of keeping enemy air assets at bay compared to traditional fighter interceptors. How?

Well, 16x Eurfighters maybe able to take on 32x IAF jets leveraging its qualitative advantage if they makes it to the fight in the sky, (Which it won't if there isn't any AMD system protecting them on the ground to begin with) but then IAF has far more assets to throw at our 16x Eurofighters and they will simply overwhelm them in the end.

On the other hand, hit to kill capable AMD system can withstand intense enemy air and missile strikes until the last interceptor. (specially ballistic missiles, which are a huge threat and can't be shot down by fighter jets) We saw how well system like Patriot and SAMP/T is performing in Ukraine. Fending of intense air raids and keeping mighty Russian air force from gaining air superiority.

In a nutshell, modern AMD provides more bang for the bucks compared to expensive fighter jets. And as of now simply we can't afford both. So, it is clear which one we need to prioritize.

One could argue, unlike AMD systems, fighter jets provide offensive capabilities to destroy enemy formation and air assets on the ground. It is true, however, 16x Eurofighters are too few and would be eliminated by IAF long before they could do any of it at scale.

On the other hand, we can leave the offensive capabilities to army's long range operational and strategic artillery capabilities and invest more in it. System like TRG-300 GMLRS and Khan tactical ballistic missiles batteries when despersed are much more survivable and hard to find and kill. Those would be much efficient and offer persistent and greater volume of firepower compare to what 16x can potentially carry. We saw that with HIMARS and ATACMS's outstanding performance in Ukraine.

And given the proximity of IAF Eastern command's air bases to our geography, it is the most optimized solution. Also, I believe Myanmar can be deterred with our long range surface to surface fires.

And frankly, in the long run we should look to procure BVR capable stealth UCAV instead of traditional super expensive 4.5th fighters. The only advantage Eurfighter has over something like Baykar Kızılelma, is higher payload and longer range. Both are relevant if we are planning to bomb Delhi, but we aren't. Also, keep in mind that we are never going to match IAF in one to one.

Our main goal is to prevent enemy air superiority. Given its stealth advantage, Kızılelma is better fit for the role as we have a very small airspace to defend. Also, we can procure 3x of it for the cost of a single Eurofighters. And unlike Eurofighters those have much smaller logistical footprint and can potentially be operated from highways. Reducing the risk of being destroyed at ground.

As for the navy, we should allocate $1 billions to modern AIP submarine procurement instead of the frigate program. @LeonBlack08 @Joe Shearer
This is the Afif I had grown to respect. Glad to know that he laid buried under a wave of radical fervour.
I would go even further, and re-orient the entire Bangladesh military to achieve three strategic objectives, no more, no less:
  1. Ensure a poisoned shrimp strategy vis-a-vis powerful neighbours inclined to bully the nation; the neighbour may win, but will bitterly regret having won;
  2. Rebuff, even defeat the hostile country to the east;
  3. Guard oceanic resources, starting with fishery protection.
Such an approach would walk away from shiny new toys, and concentrate on appropriate technology that, in many cases, even be supported locally.

As for the navy, we should allocate $1 billion to modern AIP submarine procurement instead of the frigate program. @LeonBlack08 @Joe Shearer
Yep, wholeheartedly agree with you man. For immediate future, our Army should focus on highly mobile and accurate artillery power, our Air force should focus on efficient layered air defense umbrella and our Navy should focus procuring couple of battery powered submarines like Japanese Taigei class.
BTW, you mentioned Eurosam SAMP/T NG. Turkey does have layered Air defense solutions. Those will be cheaper, No?

BTW, you mentioned Eurosam SAMP/T NG. Turkey does have layered Air defense solutions. Those will be cheaper, No?

Those aren't Ballistic missile defense capable yet. BMD is indispensable for us. SAMP/T NG is the best in this regard. Actually, Israeli David's sling is. But obviously that is off limit.

I don't know if you guys were following this, but there are some good news regarding BAF's air and missile defense capability development.

This is from the article 'ENHANCEMENT OF AIR DEFENCE CAPABILITY OF BANGLADESH THROUGH UTILIZATION OF BANGABANDHU SATELLITE' published in Armed Forces Division journal.

"Should the AD assets of Bangladesh Army and Navy be integrated with BAF AD assets? Officer Commanding ADOC opined that considering the threat, capabilities of own system and geography of Bangladesh, all the AD elements of Bangladesh should be integrated in to a single network. Director of DNW&EE also expressed similar opinion of integrating all AD assets. Integration of all AD assets, specially the naval assets, will also facilitate Air Defence Identification Zone (ADIZ) implementation process. Survey results found strong consensus among the participants of three services that all the AD assets should be integrated into a single network. The mode of the response was ‘Strongly Agree’. Kruskal- Wallis test also reinforced the finding statistically.

Current State of Integration Basing on the primary data this study found that BAF initiated project for AD system integration will connect all the BAF sensors to ADOC through fiber optic/microwave link. BN initiated project will integrate naval AD assets Maritime Operation Center by TDL. BAF initiated project has the capability of future expansion that means this project has the prospect of connecting all AD assets of Bangladesh to create an integrated AD system for Bangladesh provided suitable communication means are utilized.

Multi-Vendor Equipment: Recent procurement plan of BAF indicates that in near future, few Western origin sensors are likely to enter BAF’s inventory. Latest Naval sensors are of Western origin and can support digital data. Quantum share of the Army sensors are from China. Equipment from multiple vendors differ in terms of interface, communication protocol which pose significant challenges for integration.

Mitigation for Multi-Vendor Equipment: It is expected that, BAF initiated project for AD integration will support multiple protocols that means the system will have the capability to equipment from different manufactures. However, interfacing with specific sensor would require befitting interfacing equipment which may be sourced from vendors."

Remember, Proper integration within service and between services is crucial to the operational success of Air and Missile defense. Integration maximizes the capabilities of individual systems and compensate for its vulnerabilities by combining different sensors, interceptors and decision makers into a single network enabled redundant architecture. Each system having access to the combined air picture allows Early Warning, better readiness, and efficient engagement of threats.

Now get this, BAF's integrared air and missile defense project mentioned in the article has finally come to fruition.

1716230421309.jpeg

When I saw it at display at MHD-2024, i thought it was some sort of simulator. I had a hard time believing what was in front of my eyes. BAF having a comprehensive air defense system integration?! Sounded too good to be true. But after rereading this old article, I realized, woah, this is legit! Also, there was an MoD report that mentioned AD system integration. But didn't clarify the scope of it.

As mentioned in the article, 'BAF initiated project for AD integration will support multiple protocols that means the system will have the capability to equipment from different manufactures.' that means BAF's new Air Defence system integration can integrate all types of sensors in BAF inventory. Including–

2x Thales GM403 GaN based AESA radars.

1x RAT-31DL AESA radar

1x (potentially 6x) Leonardo Kronos Land AESA radar.

2x REL-4 AESA radar.

1x JH-16 AESA.

Also, any future air defense system purchased for BAF can be integrated with Artemis's Air Defence system integration.

Not only that, Army's recent Re-evaluation of Local Warning Radar (LWR) notice suggest that they are also planning for broader inter-service integration. Which is actually great.

1716235745440.jpeg

(Notice how it's talking about Bangladesh Air defence network. Not Army AD network)

I hope they get Aselsan's new gen ALP radar which meets all the criteria. (+ Has additional capabilities that could be valuable for the Army)

One could think what we are supposed to do with so many radars without air defense missiles.

The answer is Passive Air and Missile Defense

Passive Air and Missile Defense techniques are crucial to the survivability of friendly formations and critical assets. Apart from the real possibility of existing active AMD systems being overwhelmed due to focused and saturated attack by the enemy, most Armed forces around the world often lack sufficient numbers of AMD systems to provide active protection to all of its formations. Speically when it comes to BMD and C-RAM. And for Bangladesh Armed forces, it lacks any type of active BMD or C-RAM capability as of now. Hence for Army, passive AMD is the only measure to preserve and protect its formations against these threats. Additionally, its AD capability against air breathing targets is significantly insufficient. Thus, making Passive AMD indispensable across the spectrum.

Passive Air and Missile Defense measures includes–

Detection and Early Warning. Timely detection and warning of air and missile threats provide reaction time to friendly forces to seek shelter or take appropriate actions.(JP 3-01) Specifically when it comes to BMD, long range land based sensors detects the threat when it appears on the horizon, tracks it and calculate the point of impact, subsequently generates alarms. Timely dissemination of these warnings require robust, secure and fast automated communication systems.

Bangladesh army is yet to have any long range sensing capability of its own to detect and track air and missile threats at ranges. Though, Local Warning Radar aquisiton initiative is set to change that. As mentioned above, BAF operates variety of long range state of art AESA sensors. That includes, 2x GM403, 1x RAT 31LD, 2x REL-4, 1x JH-16 & 1x JY-11B. These system are capable of effectively tracking air and missile threats at ranges. Proper Inter-service AMD system integration would enable Army to leverage these sensors to boost its early warning capability.

@Bengal71 @LeonBlack08 @AbuShalehRumi @Oscar @Joe Shearer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts

Back