Bangladesh Socio-Political Crisis 2024

Bro, going by the characters here - who claim to represent Bangladesh - I don’t think BD is ready for democracy.

You can have all the systems and process you like - but if people cannot accept plurality of views - then everything falls apart like a pack of cards!

We are heading for Martial Law then BNP autocracy.

And BAL LIKELY TO RETURN BEFORE 2030. Maybe sooner if BNP CANNOT control the Islamists in their ranks.

Learning from Egypt and Tunisia revolution, after a year or so when the situation calmed down, the deep state came back to power. Bangladesh could face the same. If the new power ie youth, students, professionals, clean politicians are not organised enough we will then witness the old forces coming back to power. The young people need to understand this. Regarding policies, it's not easy to make independent policies, Hasina on record claimed she wants balanced relations between Russia China Usa and look what happened to her, although she was definitely pro India. The Bangladeshi military establishment will decide on the new foreign policy, I believe no matter what the old policy will continue, establish a balanced relationship between all super powers, the Indian policy I am not sure about as Bangladesh will be inviting trouble if they try to reduce Indian influence, India wants to control bangali policies and politics in order to have an ally against China, they will not accept independent Bangladesh.

Learning from Egypt and Tunisia revolution, after a year or so when the situation calmed down, the deep state came back to power. Bangladesh could face the same. If the new power ie youth, students, professionals, clean politicians are not organised enough we will then witness the old forces coming back to power. The young people need to understand this. Regarding policies, it's not easy to make independent policies, Hasina on record claimed she wants balanced relations between Russia China Usa and look what happened to her, although she was definitely pro India. The Bangladeshi military establishment will decide on the new foreign policy, I believe no matter what the old policy will continue, establish a balanced relationship between all super powers, the Indian policy I am not sure about as Bangladesh will be inviting trouble if they try to reduce Indian influence, India wants to control bangali policies and politics in order to have an ally against China, they will not accept independent Bangladesh.

Your entire thinking is based on projecting PAK situation on BD. Every country and its system operate differently and has its unique phenomenon.

Whatever Pinaki says, I take it with a good amount of salt. As I said before, people like Pinaki and Farhad majhar are true revolutionaries. Compromise is not in their dictionaries. We need people like them to keep soft one sin check so they don't end up compromising too much.

However, when we are operating within statist power structure, it is always about balanced compromises. You never get 100% of what you want. In some case given the circumstances, sometimes you may have to take 60% as success.

For promoting army officials, the bar seems to be between those who were explicitly involved in crime of Hassina regimes and those who weren't but toe the line (whole muki judho chetona and sheikh Mujib thing) and played along. These folks are more concerned with their own carriers but did not ultimately tie their luck with Hassina regime like those generals who were explicitly involved in crimes hence forced to retired, fled or arrested. Yes, this is not ideal. The bar is low. We don't like it, and we should voice our dissatisfaction. Unfortunately for us all the major generals are appointed by Hassina regime anyway. Hence, if it ended up happening, we shouldn't go fully conspiratorial.

Because realistically, the chances of a coup is very low.

Gen walker had far more chance immediately after 5th of August when for several days we had no formal government.

Also, general waker cannot pull this alone. And had more chances of success with Hassina's royal generals who were expelled.

Secondly, and most importantly. this government is Widely backed up by uncle Sam and uncle Afif....ahm, I mean public, externally and internally. It's going to be really damn hard and risky to pull something like that right now.

There's lot going on behind the scene. We must remain vigilante but hopeful.

Agree. We can't have a perfect world where all pro Hasina officers are replaced with immediate effect. It can be done gradually over time, but not immediately.

Nonetheless, it's important for the likes of Pinaki to criticize and keep the government in check.

While every country and their systems operate differently valid and pertinent generalizations can also be made and which apply across the board and are very possibly the reasons why the Arab Spring, colour revolutions and uprisings in Hong Kong, Kazakhstan, Georgia all failed and the reason is that the deep state was ready to make a comeback and remained well entrenched.

Unless the previous set up is extricated root and branch the risks remain and this is more so in the case of Bangladesh as 80% of the previous set up still remains in place. The risks are increased by the fact that Bangladesh has an inimical neighbour which has been deeply embarrassed by the August 5 revolution and which has for India created a massive security dilemma for the country.

Some of the biggest traitors ever were Bengali Muslims. That being said, some of the leading student protestors were Hindus who brought down that witch. They are full members and citizens of Bangladeshi society whose security is paramount just like any other citizen.

The Hindutva are a micro-threat. The Zionists are a macro-level threat. But, that is another discussion.
what are you taking about?

Who are those leading Hindus? I do not recall one prominent Hindu activist in 2024 revolution. How many Hindu died in 2024 revolution? I watched every second of that revolution and I was middle of it.

I am sure some Hindu participate but this revolution was headed by Muslims against Awami maloon league.

If you are going to go into deep criticism of BNP and Jamat, it can only come credibly to me if you have first applied the same regarding BJP and RSS.
The sad part is that this even needs saying.

what are you taking about?

Who are those leading Hindus? I do not recall one prominent Hindu activist in 2024 revolution. How many Hindu died in 2024 revolution? I watched every second of that revolution and I was middle of it.

I am sure some Hindu participate but this revolution was headed by Muslims against Awami maloon league.

Their numbers were relatively few. It is impossible to verify the exact number of Hindus killed by Hasina's forces at this stage (if any). I recall one interview from DW News with a Hindu girl. Her name is Prapti something...

Let's see......here we go.

This is just one of them. There are more:

I even found her Facebook profile.

She is not some random protestor. This girl appearing on international news channels says that she may be significant, or may be I am missing something.

Regarding the Hindu community, I would give them a benefit of doubt, but we must be vigilant. Since August 5th, I have noticed various pages on social media posing as "Bangladeshi Hindus" releasing vicious lies about the happenings in our country and against Islam and Muslims in general. These pages are very active and I dare say are radicalizing the Hindutva in India. I know it would be easy to say that the ones posting are likely Indian trolls, but unfortunately it is suspected that they are Bangladeshi nationals hiding behind monikers. Though, their handlers are likely Indian nationals.

What do you think?

BD is a polarised country and so will find it difficult to move forward.

An Inaccurate statement.

It would be a bit naive to assume the same things will happen to Bangladesh as that of Tunisia and Egypt. We are culturally and politically very different from them. Also, America wields huge influence in that region with very different power dynamics.

We are cool with America so far. So no reason for America to feel antagonized or come up as a huge blip on their threat matrix. In fact, they are helping us rebuild. Both China and Russia would like to continue maintaining good relations with us. So we are cool with them as well. Very essential to keep it cool on both sides of the aisle.

India is a tricky part however. Clearly an underdog in the world of big powers but vicious and cunning nonetheless. Back in the early 2000's, it was never about 'minus 2' strategy. That is removing Khaleda Zia and Sheikh Hasina from Bangladesh's political equation. It is and always was 'minus 1 and plus 1' strategy from the start. With the War on Terror in full swing in the early 2000's, the Indians convinced the Americans to get onboard with this strategy. The result was a 15 year totalitarian nightmare.

Now, we undid everything New Delhi worked for during the past two decades. They got sloppy. India has a severe image problem amongst Bangladeshis right now and that image will not change for at least a generation or two.

The future is optimistically uncertain with or without India.

I will always endorse death penalty for everyone involved in BAL dictatorship. By everyone I mean everyone who benefited from BAL dictatorship. And they're currently acting against Bangladeshs Stability

For the nation's safety and security, we must not show any mercy to these Awami Leaguers. They will never understand humility.

This video describes the lines well.

If the IG does not go hard on them, the next elected government will.

For the nation's safety and security, we must not show any mercy to these Awami Leaguers. They will never understand humility.

This video describes the lines well.

If the IG does not go hard on them, the next elected government will.
Violence is in the DNA of AL , even from the early days when it was Muslim League under Sohrawardi.
AL will always use violence to create issues out of thin air.
Without violence this party can’t exist.

Their numbers were relatively few. It is impossible to verify the exact number of Hindus killed by Hasina's forces at this stage (if any). I recall one interview from DW News with a Hindu girl. Her name is Prapti something...

She is not some random protestor. This girl appearing on international news channels says that she may be significant, or may be I am missing something.

Regarding the Hindu community, I would give them a benefit of doubt, but we must be vigilant. Since August 5th, I have noticed various pages on social media posing as "Bangladeshi Hindus" releasing vicious lies about the happenings in our country and against Islam and Muslims in general. These pages are very active and I dare say are radicalizing the Hindutva in India. I know it would be easy to say that the ones posting are likely Indian trolls, but unfortunately it is suspected that they are Bangladeshi nationals hiding behind monikers. Though, their handlers are likely Indian nationals.

What do you think?

Sometimes we are giving too much credit to .0001 %while undermining 99.99%.

Let's not deviate from whats important here. Abu Saeed ruh will not be in peace.

Hindu were treated like 1st class citizen under Awami league. Hindus are citizens and they will be treated same as the rest on merit basis. No more special treatment.

What do you think?

Disclaimer - just my personal opinion based on my observation of social media activities.

Overall - participation of Hindus in the revolution were minimal. This is understandably so, given that most Hindus benefitted during the Hasina regime, so no change was better for the general Hindu population. Also, many Hindus are actively involved in BAL politics, and therefore had absolutely no reason to go against Hasina.

But, the handful few Hindu activists who stood up publicly, had significant impact on the revolution. I will name a few -

Pinaki Bhattacharya - although he is probably an atheist or agnostic than a devout Hindu, his voice has riled up the masses against Hasina for many years now. To the point, he had to flee Bangladesh to save his life.

Debashish Chakrabarty - he is a digital graphic designer. All those posters in black, red and yellow denouncing the dictator were his creation. His posters flooded social media and were also used on the streets both in Bangladesh and abroad. His posters served as a powerful tool to invigorate the revolutionaries.

Musicians Arnob and Shayan Chowdhury - their involvement attracted media attention.

Student leaders like Meghmollar Basu - who got a bit of fame by shutting down Indian media journalist trying to peddle the idea that this revolution was a Jamaat conspiracy. He explicitly stated that he himself was a Hindu and believed in the cause.

However, having said all that - the number of Hindus still vouching for BAL rule and how "better" off we were in the past is overwhelmingly greater than those who were pro Revolution.

And when we compare the number of Madrassah students and Shibir members killed alone, the contribution becomes even more visible. The disproportionate portion of the martyred revolutionaries had either Madrassah or Shibir or other Islamic party background.

Now, argument can be made that there are fake accounts operated by Indians to give the illusion that Bangladeshi Hindus are not happy, which brings me to the next point you noted.

While I agree that some FB accounts and pages may be operated by false flagging Hindutva VHP RSS members, but unfortunately there is a growing number of Hindutva ideology influenced Bangladeshis. To the point that VHP / RSS now has official branches in Bangladesh. These folks were usually also affiliated with BSL / Chatra League politics. They have been rapidly growing under the protection of BAL government.

Together with them we have the Uber secular leftists (both Muslims and Hindus) who are responsible for giving legitimacy to the BAL fascist regime.

These are the people who are involved in mass misinformation campaign post Hasina's fall in the international media and social media. In fact, they went as far as staging false flag operation in their own temples. There were 2-3 cases reported across the country where temple vandalism perpetrator turned out to be Hindu individuals.

This Hindutva propaganda cell concertedly amplified any attack on Hindu communities and suppressed information about Madrassah students protecting the temples or any positive news of Hindu Muslim cooperation. For instance, there were local Hindu priests praising Madrassah students and Jamaat members while meeting with Jamaat amir. But this was not picked up by the International media. The mainstream journalists are particularly to blame and it is not surprising that most mainstream journalists in Bangladesh belongs to that Uber liberal bunch.

To sum it up - Bangladeshi Hindus are 10+% of our entire population. However, if you look at the contribution both in terms of those who led the revolution or was an active voice in social media or who were martyred and injured, their numbers are significantly lower. There were contribution from the Hindu community, it simply wasn't proportional to the size of their population.

I hope Bangladeshi Hindus realize that BAL isn't their savior, in fact in last 15 years more low income Hindus were oppressed and their lands illegally grabbed by influential BAL leaders. Bangladeshi Hindus also need to realize that Hindutva BJP is no friend of theirs either. Once their use is finished, the Indian non Bengali BJP will just throw them under the bus. They need to side with pro Bangladeshi Nationalist views, and that goes for both Hindus and Muslims. Political parties like BNP and Jamaat have a responsibility to ensure they give the Hindu communities the confidence to support them, this includes treating them fairly and making it safe for them in Bangladesh.

Both BNP and Jamaat have been trying to do that, I hope they continue and be strict on any radical members within their ranks. These reforms are a must in the new Bangladesh.

Proposal to ban Awamo League for 10 years. The video is in Bangla

They will however come back in a different banner with the same ideology, just like the neo Nazis in Europe. Parties can be banned but not the ideology.

No matter how symbolic the ban is, BAL needs to be permanently banned nonetheless and their misdeeds studied in schools. So it serves as a lesson for the future generations.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Afif
Back