JF-17 PFX program

It's a decade to 15 years to build a new fighter and cost of 1.5/2 billion dollars to build five prototypes

Then you need the complete eco system in place to achieve this

License assembly is nut and bolts screwing

If the Pakistanis are serious about j10 numbers ie more imports and j31
As well ...All supposedly happening IE next five to ten years then a brand new upgraded jf17 seems far fetched fetched

Three separate fighter inductions

I.think pfx will Chinese upgrades in Chengdu on the thunder peice meal they have the biggest aero space eco system In the world
I don't see anything happening in Pakistan
Ok, Mr. First hand witness to Pakistan's eco system.

It's a decade to 15 years to build a new fighter and cost of 1.5/2 billion dollars to build five prototypes

As well ...All supposedly happening IE next five to ten years then a brand new upgraded jf17 seems far fetched fetched

I.think pfx will Chinese upgrades in Chengdu on the thunder peice meal they have the biggest aero space eco system In the world
Ofcoarse you don’t but facts are Pakistan has continued to acquire/ develop to maintain credible deterrence, even give a 7 x bigger enemy a good spanking when needed, despite the longstanding and ongoing economic woes. I expect J-10 numbers will grow gradually as required to keep the balance, the JF-17 will get updated versions to keep it relevant, J31 will be longer term / when it is needed to keep the wolf from the door.

Always trying to downplay Pakistan. 😂
I bet you are having sleepless nights. 😁

Well this BOL News report almost confirms this
If the journalist is right, then it's something like Grippen E. We are going to follow the path of Grippen E. With a new very powerful engine, around 10 or 11 hardpoints, build in IRST, AESA radar most likely from Turkey, avionics also from Turkey and other most advanced modern features.

Yar Miltry apne sath Tito Partian Lga Rahi
This program does not deserve even a single page alas we have 52 and still running.
So air force is dumb and drunk they keep mentioning this program in every second video. They shared details during our parade. Even briefed Prime Minister in a ceremony about it while many foreign dignitaries were also present. So, either Air Force who is the institution who does these things doesn't know anything or you know better. So your thoughts are acting like an ostrich. Got it

@MastanKhan Their ignorance plus arrogance is mind boggling

Ofcoarse you don’t but facts are Pakistan has continued to acquire/ develop to maintain credible deterrence, even give a 7 x bigger enemy a good spanking when needed, despite the longstanding and ongoing economic woes. I expect J-10 numbers will grow gradually as required to keep the balance, the JF-17 will get updated versions to keep it relevant, J31 will be longer term / when it is needed to keep the wolf from the door.

I agree with every part of your post
However 90% of this is totally utterly dependant on super power china to make this happen even providing the very generous payment options

Ok, Mr. First hand witness to Pakistan's eco system.

Your right Oscar I don't know Pakistan eco system
I know your have efficient complex for keeping mirages flying even when the rest of the world stopped using these planes
I also know you send engineers technicians to Chengdu for training and observation
And you do license assembly and maintenance of Thunders

Now when it comes to upgrades I major changes to airframe pesa radar to Aesa radar new Chinese stand off weapons new airframes designs on thunders this work took place in Chengdu
Im taking about the block three thunders of course with the testing and work being done on your block three ..yes you may have technicians there but your totally reliant on Chinese know how funding and eco system

The JF-17 PFX

In a recent promotional video celebrating Operation Swift Retort, Pakistan's retaliation to India's airstrikes in Balakot, the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) unveiled a new initiative related to the JF-17 Thunder aircraft, dubbed the "JF-17 PFX." The acronym "PFX" appears to stand for "Pakistan Fighter Experimental," according to the PAF press release. This fresh program is part of the PAF's broader strategy for long-term modernization.

However, specific details about the JF-17 PFX program are still officially unavailable. Nevertheless, the announcement of the JF-17 PFX suggests that the PAF has crafted a plan for the program's implementation following the induction of the Block-III variant. As for the future of the JF-17 Thunder, it remains a cornerstone multirole fighter aircraft for the PAF. Since its debut in 2010, the PAF has procured a total of 168 aircraft, including Block-Is, Block-IIs, and two-seat JF-17Bs, with plans to add 30 Block-IIIs or JF-17Cs to its fleet. This procurement aligns with the PAF's initial goal of acquiring between 150 and 200 units.

The JF-17 PFX program could also potentially look to address the airframe lifespan of the aircraft, which is estimated at 3,000 hours. With the Block-I variants reaching the end of their operational life by 2030, the PAF faces the decision of either replacing them entirely or implementing comprehensive upgrades to extend their lifespan. However, funding constraints and Pakistan's economic challenges make large-scale replacements unlikely, underscoring the ongoing importance of the JF-17 in the PAF's multirole fighter fleet.

So air force is dumb and drunk they keep mentioning this program in every second video. They shared details during our parade. Even briefed Prime Minister in a ceremony about it while many foreign dignitaries were also present. So, either Air Force who is the institution who does these things doesn't know anything or you know better. So your thoughts are acting like an ostrich. Got it

@MastanKhan Their ignorance plus arrogance is mind boggling
The same institution mentioned Project Azm thousands of times lol
Kia wo sach howa ?
We learnt our lesson of not to trust these so called Institutions.
Tum b jld hi seekh jao ge bhai.

The same institution mentioned Project Azm thousands of times lol
Kia wo sach howa ?
We learnt our lesson of not to trust these so called Institutions.
Tum b jld hi seekh jao ge bhai.
Until PAF declares like they did that Project Azm is not happening anymore. We would have to take them seriously. Sorry they are our Air Force not halwai ki dukaan. Secondly this time we are not trying everything on our own. This time Arab countries are brought on board plus technological help by Turkey. Azm unlike this was way too ambitious. Thirdly if it's something like Grippen E then it's way more practical then Azm was. You are basically designing and making a Block 4 based on already designed plane which in Block 4 would have around 10 hardpoints built in IRST, AESA radar from Turkey and Avionics from Turkey plus other stuff. So, it's way more practical than designing a fifth Generation completely on your own. You are making a highly developed plane like a Grippen E. You already have a BLOCK III with 8 hardpoints.

Until PAF declares like they did that Project Azm is not happening anymore. We would have to take them seriously. Sorry they are our Air Force not halwai ki dukaan. Secondly this time we are not trying everything on our own. This time Arab countries are brought on board plus technological help by Turkey. Azm unlike this was way too ambitious. Thirdly if it's something like Grippen E then it's way more practical then Azm was. You are basically designing and making a Block 4 based on already designed plane which in Block 4 would have around 10 hardpoints built in IRST, AESA radar from Turkey and Avionics from Turkey plus other stuff. So, it's way more practical than designing a fifth Generation completely on your own. You are making a highly developed plane like a Grippen E. You already have a BLOCK III with 8 hardpoints.
Kia Turkey Turkey lga rakhi hai bhai
Chinese aviation technology is already advanced enough to rely on.No need for Turkish things in Thunder.Just a waste of money if PAF goes down to that route.
And PAF has bought J10C So no need for B4 even.

PFX thingy is just clown show by PAF

Reactions: HRK
Kia Turkey Turkey lga rakhi hai bhai
Chinese aviation technology is already advanced enough to rely on.No need for Turkish things in Thunder.Just a waste of money if PAF goes down to that route.
And PAF has bought J10C So no need for B4 even.

PFX thingy is just clown show by PAF

Some good points
China is next door the strategic alliance and already has the largest aero eco system.onthe planet and the thunder is a Chinese fan after built for Pakistan ...surely china should developed PFX I'm certain.nothing happens to thunder without china involved I don't think Pakistan can fund and improve the thunder on their own

As for your j10 point in think one more batch will arrive to take fleet to 50 planes or next three to five years

Beyond this similar number of j31 of 50 planes between 2030/2035

The thunder will need upgrading too many numbers are in place to try and replace them. One for one so upgrade of thunder will happen because it PFX or AZM or block three ...
150 Thunders to be upgraded to PFX with massive Chinese support
50/75 J10c direct from china
30/50 J31 from china paks tip of the spear .. project

Always trying to downplay Pakistan. 😂
I bet you are having sleepless nights. 😁
JF17 cost 1 billon to develop including the four prototypes. In addition to in Pakistan, eco system exists in China and Turkey and is mostly available to Pakistan.

In terms of precedent the formal agreement for JF17 was done in June 1999, the first prototype flew in August 2003 and first operational aircraft’s were delivered to PAF in March 2007. So total eight years. If PFX is based on JF17 and will have commonality development time can be shorter. PAF is not supid, they will never start anything they cannot handle and finish on time.

I think your assessment is based on your experience with Tejas, formal development started in the 80s, first prototype flew in 2001 and was inducted in 2016, 15 year later. Approximately 30 plus years from initiation to delivery of the first plane. Also Indian Defence research organization’s habit of trying to do everything thing in house and reinventing the wheel and failing in the process.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back