JF-17 - Updates, News & Discussion

Would love to see PAF invest in radar absorbent paints for the Thunder and different schemes. Do still like the thunderbolt on the sides though 😀

1701463845567.png

On the topics of HOBs missile capability, while I do believe it would have to include some sort of advanced HMD as it helps enormously with situational awareness, I don't think a dedicated IRST is absolutely necessary. HMDs can not only be used to cue IRST, it can also be used to cue radar aspect in dogfight mode, and should subsequent JF-17s be equipped with AESA radars, that can create enormous off-boresight capability all on its own.
Given that the primary HOBs missile of the adversary for PAF will still overwhelmingly be R-73 for decades to come, and how much more precious the nose space is for radar and electronic warfare, I do believe a radar-based HOBs capability would suffice (as it is with F-15Es and F-22)
1702738766298.png

As for CFTs, I recommend cautious optimism as of what it can actually offer. The most comparable example for this would be F/A-18Es, a subsonic-transonic oriented jet with slightly anemic thrust and pronounced leading edge extension for strong induced vortex. Any CFT introduced would have to be strictly limited as to not disturb the vortex generation and not to induce excessive pressure drag. JF-17 with CFT might have extended range, but it would not enable it to ditch dump tanks entirely. And no, switching to WS-19 would not help - it is a lower bypass ratio engine with higher pre-turbine temperature designed for transonic-supersonic maneuver warfare in the context of A2A oriented stealth fighter like FC-31/J-35, at lower speeds it might not be as efficient. As for WS-13E or RD-93MA I don't know too much about, IMO thrust increase is secondary to increased power generation capability for more avionics, prolonged mean time between overhaul, and overall engine life.

At the end of the day JF-17 is designed as a MiG-21 replacement (which is succeeded in doing beautifully), and PAF at the end of the day is still overwhelmingly a Defensive Counter Air oriented force. I have no doubt the PAF would eventually have the need for and acquire a competent strike fighter, but it might not be anytime soon, nor would it be a JF-17 variant (unless something crazy was done to it that makes it unrecognizable)

The induction of JF-17 Block-III in Pakistan Air Force has sparked an increased international interest, notably from the Turkish Air Force as its exceptional multirole capabilities impressed Turkish pilots during the Indus Shield 2023.
View attachment 803

I am still waiting on the clarification on whether or no this platform can use the PL-15E. All of the mockups(including this picture which contains dummy rounds) never show it with the PL-15E.

I hope it is only a matter of time but i suspect the J17C has been restricted to the SD-10.

@deino - thoughts?

Thunders block 1 up to 3 perfect for cash strapped air force who needs numbers
Perfect for replacing F7
Not sure why PAF brought J10 and not more block 3 thunders
The money spent on J10 should have gone towards fifth gen fighters from china
Or Euro canard

Is it logical to have a new block of JF17 with Chinese parts replaced with Turkish parts but no significant increase in capability?

Is block 3 production ongoing or stopped?
Ongoing. Blk 2 for exports can be delivered if demanded. CnC and tooling upgunned. Blk 3 order could we'll reach 100 pieces as it's performing and outperforming at a steady pace.

It's victims include F-16s as well.

Discussion Caption would be like :
" So PAC - PAF Can integrate Locally assembled REK & JDAM Kits on Thunder ?"

View attachment 806
Turks are looking at blk 3 very keenly since the exercise. 🤔

Is it logical to have a new block of JF17 with Chinese parts replaced with Turkish parts but no significant increase in capability?
Nope.
Chinese parts are much better than their turkish counterparts.

Turks are looking at blk 3 very keenly since the exercise. 🤔

I dont see Turkey every going for the JF17 ever ... it is a wet dream with no logical foundations.

For Turks, JF17 is only a thing for bargaining. Not for purchase.

We need to preserve and upload images of JF-17 flying with RA'AD-1. It was long time coming. Since 2007. Took 15 years to integrate Ra'ad with JF-17

I am still waiting on the clarification on whether or no this platform can use the PL-15E. All of the mockups(including this picture which contains dummy rounds) never show it with the PL-15E.

I hope it is only a matter of time but i suspect the J17C has been restricted to the SD-10.

@deino - thoughts?

As per my assumption, PL-15 has not been integrated with KLJ-7A. PL-10 has been integrated and tested in china and probable -15E will be integrated in China first as well. Priority is being given to, well what we have seen in Pics so far. PL-15 will come but will take time like rest of the things e.g HMDS, RA'AD integration with JEFF, Dual SD-10's

Users who are viewing this thread

Country Watch Latest

Back