Iranian Air Force (IRIAF/IRGC-ASF) | News and Discussions

Greetings all.

In refence to the issue of building combat a/c for the IRIAF, I have posted an update to my previous 5-part paper.

Signs indicate that UAV’s could undertake rather similar missions through their AI also, to combat aircraft. I just wonder why then the rest of the world are buying combat aircraft as if it’s a fire sale . Does IRIAF’s brass and indeed the country’s political leadership perhaps have something in store that the rest of us don’t know about.

This is part of Paper no 1.

Acknowledgements

This five-part paper would not have been possible without generous member posts to; https://defencepk.com/forums/forums/iranian-defence-forum, et al; https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/iriaf-news-and-discussions, et al; Secret Projects (UK); X (previously Twitter); and other nuggets where these were are to be found across the internet.

UPDATED 2024 06 27 – Piet.

Iran’s future go-to combat aircraft.

LIGHT – MEDIUM POSSIBILITIES

Part 1: Forebears.

If a Northrop F-5-derived platform is indeed selected to be Iran’s future light - to - medium weight multi-role fighter, then it will probably be named along the following lines viz Azarakhsh II, Saeqeh-III, Kowsar III, and perhaps even – NG’ for instance. Going back to its roots however, it will still be a F-20 Tigershark at heart, albeit one on steroids. Also, I doubt whether the IRIAF would complain too much about entertaining an F-5 derived platform at this juncture, since its ORBAT clearly is unsatisfactory. So, let’s call the resultant aircraft ‘Saeqeh-III’ for easy reference.

The link to the above is: -

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/0qsp...ey=t6z4xzpdx7794d78d75ahtdut&st=umsqtoh7&dl=0

Enjoy

Piet
Greetings.

Glad that you enjoyed the above Article.

Have added some images and explanatory text.

Enjoy

Piet

This is an unrealistic dream for Iran. Not many Mig 31 remaining and Russia and Kazakhstan wont give any to Iran. If they would've, it would happen by now.

First of all, it's not a "dream" for Iran, whether realistic or unrealistic. It's my own personal suggestion because of the reasons I mentioned in the rest of the post, such as the limited options of available fighters that could be exported to Iran AND the ability or inability of Iran to afford or pay for such purchases because of the debilitating sanctions. These are clear and present conditions that are affecting the situtation at hand, hence my suggestion that perhaps even just a squadron (12 aircraft) of ex-Kazakhstan MiG-31 that are for sale (they've advertised that they're putting them in storage and will be selling them to whomever is interested).

Not many Mig 31 remaining and Russia and Kazakhstan wont give any to Iran. If they would've, it would happen by now.

How do you know any of what you just said? Did you even read the article that I linked? I don't even think you bothered to read it since it says exactly the opposite of what you just said there that Kazakhstan is specifically offering its retiring MiG-31s for sale. Not sure where you're suddenly deducing that the opposite is happening without even submitting even an unreliable source.

And what makes you so confidently sure that it would've happened by now?

Best bet for Iran is to continue to pursue the Su 35 somehow if the Russians ever decide to deliver.

"If the Russians ever decide to deliver"? What makes you think there's an issue with the Russians and their delivery process, and that it's not actually noy an Iranian issue? Because in all honesty, everything so far points at Iran being the reason why we're hearing rumors of 24 Su-30SMs ready to be delivered but then it doesn't happen because the following week we learned that the Su-30SMs were changed to 24 of the 30 ex-Egyptian Su-35Ss order that was cancelled because of CAATSA and now they'll be transferred to Iran and not only that, but also that there had been a decent number of Iranian pilots training in Russia to fly the Su-35S and that it was a matter of weeks before they would start showing up in Tehran and yet nothing happened.

Why is any of that Russia's fault? If anything, we already know that there really are only 2 sources for new fighter jets for Iran and they're either Russian or Chinese which includes the JF-17 despite Pakistan's involvement in that joint venture. And based on that article in my previous post you quoted, there was interest from the IRIAF for the J-10C but Iran wanted to pay for the deal in oil, but China wasn't interested in that. So based on that -- and if there's any truth to it -- which I don't see why there wouldn't be, then the onus for all these deals not materializing falls on Iran. Either the sanctions have had significant impact to the point where Iran isn't able to pay direct hard cash for these fighter jets, or those same sanctions are impacting trade clauses that are affecting the deals from being finalized, essentially making them dead on arrival.

It's a shame and I say this with all sincerity since I don't think it's a secret how much respect we all have for Iran and how it has stood up against all the threats and sanctions from the west including all the nasty (war justifying) threats from the zionist pigs that have been thrown at it for the last 25 years at least, if not 30+ years.

And it's truly a miracle that it's been able to keep all the aircraft it currently has flying as fully operational, especially the F-14s. That's an incredible feat in of itself and despite the UK, Germany, Spain & Italy never allowing the Typhoon to be considered for Iran, neither France and the Rafale or Sweden with the Grippen (we won't even mention the US unless you could use a good laugh), then the only choices left are Russia & China and certain oddly interesting possibilities such as the Kazakhstan MiG-31s.

And like I said in my original post, this undoubtedly would NOT be the equivalent of acquiring 3 squadrons of Su-30SM/35S, but it would give the IRIAF a huge & very powerful and additional option to strike the zionist deep into its occupied territory with the addition of a home-made Iranian version of the Kinzhal. Those of us following the Ukraine war carefully recognize the huge impact the Russians have had with that exact combination against many different targets in the Ukraine. Just imagine that barrage of low-cost drones followed by the buzzing destruction of all those cruise millsites compounded by the sample of ballistic missiles we all saw the night of April 14th except this time, that entire barrage of hellfire is now followed and terminated with a taste of specifically listed high-valued targets that are obliterated by hypersonic air-launched ballistic missiles from an unknown and practically impossible to defend against launching platform. 10 MiG-31s armed with Iranian hypersonic precision guided missiles with the maximum allowable warhead size (we can even talk tactical nukes level if we wish to) can fly over twice the speed of sound to and from while delivering 10 lethal weapons that could take out Demona entirely, along with the zionist Jericho II & III IRBM nuclear ballistic missile site at Sdot Micha Air Base and even spread out the gifts and send a couple right through the front door of the Knesset and say hello. I'm throwing a little levity into the whole thing but some of the stuff coming from the other side was and still is pretty despicable, so what comes around goes around, so to speak. Bottom line, that was the jest of the idea of adding 12 or so possibly available MiG-31s combined with Iranian air-launched ballistic weaponry would give the entire IRIAF a huge boost and not so big a cost.

Even better, Iran should upgrade the Mig 29 and Su24. That would be a big boost for IRIAF. Cheaper and easier too probably.
Iran should also work on acquiring more Yak130 for training and light combat.

More trainers for what? To train to attack in F-4 Phantoms? Or F-5s. Sorry but that doesn't make any sense. More Yak-130 trainers if they're going to acquire Su-35S' yes, for sure. Those don't have two-seaters training versions so having dedicated trainers would make a lot of sense but we're back to the main problem again, no money to buy new jets.

And there's only so much upgrading you can do on MiG-29As and especially Su-24s. Both of those are great for what they are but that's about it. Iran can only get so much out of those but if it can't seem to make a significant purchase and start a truly dedicated modernization of the IRIAF, then it needs to seek other, more subtle but impactful solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back