‘Nepal's hydropower can benefit Bangladesh, entire region’

Rooppur is still not 100% at capacity if I recall correctly. Once it is, it should take care of our short term needs.

The rest can be a combination of fossil fuels. Bangladesh does have a coal mine as well in Barapukuria.

Need to stop natural gas through pipelines for household use and divert it for industrial use and power production only. This should have been phased out years ago, as we explore for more gas fields and develop extraction capabilities. But like everything else in Bangladesh, we have been reactive instead of proactive. Only this year I have seen tenders being out for offshore exploration, whereas the forecast of gas running out has been for more than a decade.

Although I am not surprised at all at the lack of foresight based on my interactions with PetroBangla's employees in the past. Incompetency plagues that organization. This is what happens when you have quotas and party loyalists, instead of merit based recruitment.

The problem is all these options apart from nuclear and hydroelectric are quite expensive, nuclear has huge capital costs though, unless BD uses its own gas reserves which are likely to last just 10 years at current rate of extraction. Hope more reserves are found but you cannot rely on that.

Plants that rely on imported coal and LNG are going to cost more to produce each unit of electricity. BD has been struggling to pay suppliers and Indonesia even cut off the supply of coal for Payra as BD had not paid them in 4 months.

It needs to be a combination of the following as a 15-20 year plan:

1. Build 3-4 more Russian VVER-1200 or follow on models - Moderate cost and clean
2. 5-10GW of hydroelectric power from Nepal/Bhutan through India. - Cheap and clean
3. More Coal and LNG plants - High cost and most polluting.
4. Rely on its own gas for gas plants - Cheapest cost and moderately polluting

Of course with number 4., it would be excellent if BD does find more gas but you cannot rely on that as the exploration may end up with nothing.

I cannot see how BD can afford to take hydroelectric out of the equation here as billions a year of forex would be saved to generate completely clean electricity and there would be no land loss in BD due to building these power stations.

Yah Yah, classic vishwa goru india stronk with imported AKs. You folks didn't had to support a dictatorial regimes if you could negotiate from a position of strength. lol...
Let me give you an example:
View attachment 61373
View attachment 61374
Apparently we can handle US friendship better then you folks. 😉
Yah Yah, classic vishwa goru india stronk with imported AKs. You folks didn't had to support a dictatorial regimes if you could negotiate from a position of strength. lol...
View attachment 61373
View attachment 61374
Apparently we can handle US friendship better then you folks. Classic pakistani stuff

View attachment 61373
View attachment 61374
Apparently we can handle US friendship better then you folks. 😉
Classic Pakistani behavior—true to your ancestors. You should learn from Pakistan sometimes. You've been under a dictatorial regime for decade, that's means something.

Dreaming is good, just like pakistani they did during Imran Khan's tenure, talking about making the nation self-reliant makka madina and all that, and look at them now and you're on the same path. At least they have a military to back them. I don't know what gives you such arrogance to you guys —economy, army, or any geostrategic advantage?

we could sever all ties with Bangladesh in a month—can Bangladesh afford that?

Depends what you mean by afford.
Bangladesh cannot afford to loose independence or be subjugated.

Its a unitary single ethnic republic home to almost 180 million people. Bengalis have endured far tougher things in its thousands of years of history, than India severing all ties with Bangladesh.

According to wikipedia:
Bengalis are the third-largest ethnic group in the world, after the Han Chinese and Arabs. They are the largest ethnic group within the Indo-Europeans and the largest ethnic group in South Asia.

Its a unitary single ethnic republic home to almost 180 million people. Bengalis have endured far tougher things in its thousands of years of history, than India severing all ties with Bangladesh.

According to wikipedia:
Bengalis are the third-largest ethnic group in the world, after the Han Chinese and Arabs. They are the largest ethnic group within the Indo-Europeans and the largest ethnic group in South Asia.

Ignore him as he is clearly immature.

India absolutely needs to try to get along with BD due to its NE States and its relationships in the region with Nepal and Bhutan.

Both those countries want trade ties with BD and India needs to facilitate this as otherwise they will turn away from India and look at China.

Yes India is the stronger party but BD also holds plenty of cards. India has not and will not give charity to BD.

Classic Pakistani behavior—true to your ancestors. You should learn from Pakistan sometimes. You've been under a dictatorial regime for decade, that's means something.

Dreaming is good, just like pakistani they did during Imran Khan's tenure, talking about making the nation self-reliant makka madina and all that, and look at them now and you're on the same path. At least they have a military to back them. I don't know what gives you such arrogance to you guys —economy, army, or any geostrategic advantage?
Classic hindu behavior, always overestimating themselves thinking imported AKs can get them respect. LOL.

You need to look at this from a holistic basis.

Indian NE at least is not going to prosper and be stable without a prosperous and stable BD.
Let me put it in this way, even if the above is true and I doubt that it is, India can live without NE being prosperous or even stable. Point is, can Bangladesh do that?

Likewise selling electricity to BD will also help develop Nepal and Bhutan in due course.
One is a country that has shown extreme hate towards India and other is a country that does not matter. Why will India help them become prosperous at its own cost?

Of course BD will need to reciprocate and the 2 countries can look at "quid-pro-quo" transit facilities but 99 year lease is unrealistic but more like 25 year agreements at a time.
I do not know what kind of negotiations India will do, but then, in 2026 Water treaty between India and Bangladesh is also up for renewal. If I were India, I would force a good strategic bargain in exchange renewing that treaty and energy deal.

It will take some time but soon the mutually beneficial co-operation between India and BD will resume.

Countries that do not trade with neighbours generally do not develop much.
I doubt the issue is that of trade, it is that of geopolitics. If Bangladesh hosts India enemies, I expect India to also hurt Bangladesh's interests. If Bangladesh helps Indian geopolitical interests, I think India should also help fix Bangladesh's geographic vulnerabilities.

Every SA countries are fed up with indian "wisdom", because india is the problem of SA...
The fun part is, all of the "SA" is currently a basket case. Leaving India.

Pakistan is an unmitigated disaster.
Nepal never had and still does not have a future.
Sri Lanka had a revolution and an economic collapse.
Bangladesh just started a very bloody revolution and lets see how it goes.
Mayanmar had a coup and a military dictatorship.

That leaves Bhutan.... which is okay.

Given it is South Asia and typical south asian drama that goes here, I doubt anyone will ever have any love for India. Its very common crab politics.

Last edited:
Number of muslims killed and lynched by hindu mob unfortunately.
So, what is that number ? And what is your source for it ?
What! When? Yunus administration said india didn't shared enough data and didn't gave us warning about floodgate release. Although we know why india did it, but they kept things formal.
So, BD doesn't have the capability to track rainfall data on its own ?
We have to ask China to help us on river management...
Good luck with that. Why wasnt it done in the last 77 years since Pakistan and Bangladesh have been friends with China ?
India isn't an export destination for us. India doesn't print dollar. That makes india replaceable. Obviously it will be painful for us.
Yes, India does not import textiles and that is all that BD is capable of exporting. Once the tariff benefits of GSP roll off, there is going to be a cliff drop in Bangladeshi exports to the West and they would be lucky to be able to sell to India.
This is 2024 and we have options...
Not as many as you think. China is busy in the east and its relationships with India and Myanmar are more important than with BD. Pakistan can barely help itself. And the west is in active conflict with China and Russia and is dealing with a mess in the Middle East. They have chosen India as a partner in the Asia Pacific. They may make noises about political repression by Haseena, who had chosen India , China and Russia as her partners, but there is no way they are going to jeopardize their relationship with India for BD, when they have left Canada to fend for itself.

Not sure what your point is. Exports to the US create jobs in the BD economy. Imports, other than those of raw materials not available in BD, from China and India take away jobs that could have been created if those goods and services had been produced in BD ( though most likely at a higher cost) .

Not sure what your point is. Exports to the US create jobs in the BD economy. Imports, other than those of raw materials not available in BD, from China and India take away jobs that could have been created if those goods and services had been produced in BD ( though most likely at a higher cost) .
They need to import raw material and parts to make products to export to US. These are important too. US consumers need competitive affordable BD products too, it's two way street.

Last edited:
They need to import raw material and parts to make products to export to US. These are important too. US consumers need competitive affordable BD products too, it's two way street.

Yes, but Bangladesh can source its imports from other countries or produce locally ( which will create jobs in BD) . It is a lot more difficult to find another market to sell to if it loses the US as an export market. The US is a customer and China is a supplier and customer is always king .

According to wikipedia:

Wah! You conveniently forgot us.

The world's top 10 largest ethnic groups by population:

Han Chinese (~1.3 billion)This includes people who speak various Chinese dialects, such as Mandarin, Yue (Cantonese), Wu (Shanghainese), etc.

Indo-Aryan (~1.2 billion)Primarily includes people from northern and central India, as well as parts of Pakistan, speaking languages like Hindi, Bengali, and Punjabi.

Arabs (~450 million)Encompasses people from across the Arab world, including countries in the Middle East and North Africa.

Bengalis (~250 million)This includes the population of Bangladesh and the Indian state of West Bengal.

NOTE: We have as many bhayyas as your entire ethnicity. In only one state of India.

Americans of European descent (~230 million)Includes white Americans primarily of European ancestry, mostly from the UK, Germany, Ireland, and other parts of Europe.

Malay/Indonesian (~220 million)Encompasses people from Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, and the Philippines, who speak related languages and share cultural traits.

Brazilians (~215 million)This includes people of mixed European, African, and indigenous descent, with strong influences from Portuguese culture.

Russians (~120 million)Ethnic Russians, primarily in Russia, with significant populations in other parts of the former Soviet Union.

Japanese (~125 million)Ethnic Japanese people, primarily in Japan.

Mexicans (~130 million)
Includes people of mostly mestizo (mixed European and Indigenous) descent.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back