Pakistan General Elections 2024

Jahangir Tareen quits politics, Sirajul Haq resigns as JI chief post poll rout

In a shocking development, Istehkam-i-Pakistan chief Jahangir Tareen announced his decision to quit politics altogether while Sirajul Haq resigned as the emir of Jamaat-i-Islami.

“I would like to thank everyone who supported me in this election and want to offer my congratulations to my opponents,” said Tareen in a post on X.

“I have immense respect for the will of the people of Pakistan,” he said, offering his gratitude to all IPP members,“ he stated, adding that he would serve the country in a “private capacity”.

Meanwhile, Siraj said he has “accepted the responsibility for defeat” in the February 8 general elections.

Jahangir Tareen quits politics, Sirajul Haq resigns as JI chief post poll rout

In a shocking development, Istehkam-i-Pakistan chief Jahangir Tareen announced his decision to quit politics altogether while Sirajul Haq resigned as the emir of Jamaat-i-Islami.

“I would like to thank everyone who supported me in this election and want to offer my congratulations to my opponents,” said Tareen in a post on X.

“I have immense respect for the will of the people of Pakistan,” he said, offering his gratitude to all IPP members,“ he stated, adding that he would serve the country in a “private capacity”.

Meanwhile, Siraj said he has “accepted the responsibility for defeat” in the February 8 general elections.

Bara firoun bana phirta tha. Kuchh arse mien baqi firouno (aur firouniyo) ka bhi yahi haal hona hai. InshaAllah.

Yeh sabh khud hi garhay mien ijtamai chhalang laga rahay hien.

Suspension of mobile services on poll day created hindrance in transfer of data: ECP

The ECP has said the suspension of mobile services on February 8 created some hindrances in the sending of electronic data by presiding officers.

The caretaker government had suspended cellular services on poll day owing to security concerns. It later stated that the decision was not easy but was taken to prevent any security mishaps.

In a statement today, ECP said the move had severely affected coordination and transport of election material.

The electoral watchdog highlighted that the first result of the 2024 election was received at 2am compared to the 2018 election result which was received at 4am.

“Except for some constituencies, the results of the elections were completed within one and a half days,” the statement said. “The delay in results in some constituencies did not benefit or harm any specific political party,” the ECP concluded.

Lawyer Jibran Nasir says over 30 petitions filed in SHC against ‘malicious tabulation’ of poll results

Lawyer and activist Jibran Nasir has said that more than 30 petitions have been filed in the Sindh High Court (SHC) by his panel “Safeguard Karachi’s Vote” against the “malicious tabulation” of electoral results.

Speaking to the media in Karachi, Nasir said 17 PTI-backed candidates were being supported by the panel, adding that all candidates had similar pleas of malicious tabulation by returning officers misrepresenting the total count of Form 45 in Form 47.

In a post on X, Nasir said the SHC had given the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) till 11am tomorrow to come up with a “lawful and reasonable solution” to the issue.

He said the SHC has cautioned the ECP to not insist on any “flawed results” and to notify the returned candidates as soon as possible otherwise the court would be forced to intervene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts

Back