TF-X / KAAN / Hürjet Turkish Fighter & Trainer Aircrafts News & Discussions

SSB President Haluk Görgün said "the indigenous engine will be ready for KAAN's mass production".

Some say that "domestic engine means the F110 engine to be produced under license"

@MMM-E What is your opinion on this?

First 20 Kaan will be delivederd with 40 F110 engines, licence build in Turkey. With spare engine maybe 10 we are talking about 50 engines. After 2030 if everything goes well TF35000 engine.

Turkish Defense Industry has made great efforts in KAAN

1708818312177.jpeg

Only one example
Turkish company MASTER DEFENSE produces KAAN's fire protection system, which cannot be supplied from abroad.

The warning time of the system, which can detect and extinguish fire in the body, wings and engines of the aircraft, is less than 5 seconds.

While you have raised valid points I would raise two counterarguments:
1. F22.
2. Kaans maximum Mach target is 2. Obviously this target isn't being met right now but this is the target. I don't know how feasible that 2 is with DSI.

I don't know what pros and cons the aerodynamics team have in front of them. But I know DSI wasn't something in internal discussions. But there's always change and who knows what we might see in the future.

I don't think windtunnel is a limitation. TA is building many of their own and have bought time on tunnels all over the world. The wind tunnel effort has been massive. No reason to think that they don't have access to supersonic wind tunnels - they obviously did.
Actually the intake is one of the most prominent stealth flaw on the F-22, especially noticable amongst confrontational trainings between F-22 and F-35. At the end of the day F-22 is a 90s project, with most of the aerodynamic work performed without the luxury of modern computing power.

I'm not saying DSI intake is a hard barrier of technology that TAI could not conqueror, but perhaps they decide that dedicating required manhours and resources is not worth the effort or doesn't meet the timetable for development.

lol

if we do not have the right equipment how did we make the fighter? What do you now about Turkish aviation industy what we don't have?
Uh, I'll give you a hint.

HAL Tejas' aerodynamic work is largely done by Dassault, while high fidelity supersonic wind tunnel models and tests were outsourced to japan...

Obviously to avoid unecessary hurdles and PR issues, such information are hardly ever confirmed. But I don't think this is a bad decision - back a few years ago when Kaan's final design features are frozen, Turkey have had only experience in assembling F-16 and have never developed indigenous projects that would warrent building a supersonic wind tunnel complex, which is both expensive and time consuming to build. I have no doubt that Turkey would eventually commit to such a project, if they persist with their ambition for military independence and develop future projects.

Like I always said, "all is fair in love and war", and the top prioirty of TAI should be to deliver the Kaan in accordance with the timetable with minimal delays...

Reactions: pag
It will certainly be difficult to build an engine in the 35,000 class, but I guess lets see how it plays out. Turkey isn't starting from scratch, and may even get some help from Ivchenko Progress or RollsRoyce.

People mention the China example, but Japan has managed to build a similar engine as well, or atleast a prototype.

Xf-9 engine project was failed,and now japense is working at a new gen5th engine with Rolls-Royce Plc.

Xf-9 engine project was failed,and now japense is working at a new gen5th engine with Rolls-Royce Plc.

Failed how? This is like saying the RollsRoyce XG-40 was a failure, just b/c the program was merged into a consortium project with Germany and Italy to jointly build the Eurojet EJ2000. It was a technology demonstrator, that wasn't funded to production, in favor of a merging of the Japanese and British projects..

back a few years ago when Kaan's final design features are frozen, Turkey have had only experience in assembling F-16 and have never developed indigenous projects that would warrent building a supersonic wind tunnel complex, which is both expensive and time consuming to build. I have no doubt that Turkey would eventually commit to such a project, if they persist with their ambition for military independence and develop future projects.

Turkiye's first Supersonic High Speed Wind Tunnel Project is nearing completion in ANKARA

Turkiye had a subsonic wind tunnel in ANKARA since 1950
With the new investment, we now have a supersonic wind tunnel. ( ANKARA WIND TUNNEL )

Also METU supersonic Wind Tunnel, ANKARA
1708831491675.png
1708831503345.png

Turkiye's first Supersonic High Speed Wind Tunnel Project is nearing completion in ANKARA

With the new investment, we now have a supersonic wind tunnel. ( ANKARA WIND TUNNEL )

Also METU supersonic Wind Tunnel, ANKARA
View attachment 21784
View attachment 21785
Like I said, back a few years ago
Good for turkey for developing such a project, but it would not have contributed for the Kaan project, since the aerodynamic design would have been concluded a few years before the first flight of the demonstrator/prototype.

Like I said, back a few years ago
Good for turkey for developing such a project, but it would not have contributed for the Kaan project, since the aerodynamic design would have been concluded a few years before the first flight of the demonstrator/prototype.

TURKISH AEROSPACE has everything to develop , test and produce Fighter Jets , UCAVs and Helicopters

Only USA , Russia , China , Europe and Turkiye did it in the World

TURKISH AEROSPACE IS BUILDING EUROPE’S SECOND BIGGEST WIND TUNNEL FOR TURKISH FIGHTER to allow aeroacoustic testing

Turkish Aerospace is building Europe's second largest subsonic wind tunnel facility.
The facility is underway for the purpose of carrying out wind tunnel tests of Turkish Fighter.
The wind tunnel is intended to be used in the development ofindigenous, rotary-wing and fixed-wing aircraft, especially the Turkish Fighter.

The tunnel will have three different test sections, large, small and open. The test specimens will be positioned in these sections and will be equipped with state of the art technology measurement and sensing devices for advanced testing.
1708848952906.png

TAI' National Fighter Jet Engineering Center
1708851156230.jpeg
1708851035150.png

TAI built the 4th biggest facility in the World to produce composite material

We built the facility so big that it also generates income by doing business with Boeing and Airbus.
1708849373380.png
There are large titanium parts on the wing of the KAAN
We made a big investment to make it via 3D printer
1708849489201.png
1708851796552.png

Fuel transfer, filling/discharging, engine feeding and ventilation systems and sealing processes on the aircraft were tested in this facility.
1708849881140.jpeg

TAI built the 5th biggest facility in the World for the radar cross-sectional area tests of the KAAN

TAI's Lighting Test Facility
KAAN was tested for physical damage or electromagnetic interference that could impair flight safety due to the effect of lightning, and the fuel system will be evaluated.
1708850349011.png

TAI BIRD STRIKE TEST FACILITY
1708850636260.jpeg
1708850738890.jpeg

And many more

Last edited:
TURKISH AEROSPACE has everything to develop , test and produce Fighter Jets , UCAVs and Helicopters

Only USA , Russia , China , Europe and Turkiye did it in the World

TURKISH AEROSPACE IS BUILDING EUROPE’S SECOND BIGGEST WIND TUNNEL FOR TURKISH FIGHTER to allow aeroacoustic testing

Turkish Aerospace is building Europe's second largest subsonic wind tunnel facility.
The facility is underway for the purpose of carrying out wind tunnel tests of Turkish Fighter.
The wind tunnel is intended to be used in the development ofindigenous, rotary-wing and fixed-wing aircraft, especially the Turkish Fighter.

The tunnel will have three different test sections, large, small and open. The test specimens will be positioned in these sections and will be equipped with state of the art technology measurement and sensing devices for advanced testing.
View attachment 21853

TAI' National Fighter Jetm Engineering Center
View attachment 21873
View attachment 21872

TAI built the 4th biggest facility in the World to produce composite material

We buil the facility so big that it also generates income by doing business with Boeing and Airbus.
View attachment 21855
There are large titanium parts on the wing of the KAAN
We made a big investment to make it via 3D printer
View attachment 21857
View attachment 21874

Fuel transfer, filling/discharging, engine feeding and ventilation systems and sealing processes on the aircraft were tested in this facility.
View attachment 21861

TAI built the 5th biggest facility in the World for the radar cross-sectional area tests of the KAAN

TAI's Lighting Test Facility
KAAN was tested for physical damage or electromagnetic interference that could impair flight safety due to the effect of lightning, and the fuel system will be evaluated.
View attachment 21865

TAI BIRD STRIKE TEST FACILITY
View attachment 21867
View attachment 21869

And many more
You can't test HURJET and KAAN there because one is transonic jet and other is pure supersonic jet other than in subsonic regime in this wind tunnel testing facility

You can't test HURJET and KAAN there because one is transonic jet and other is pure supersonic jet other than in subsonic regime in this wind tunnel testing facility

TAI has Europe's 2nd biggest subsonic wind Tunnel

but There is supersonic wind Tunnel too in ANKARA
With the new investment, We own supersonic wind tunnel. ( ANKARA WIND TUNNEL )

Turkiye can test everything in subsonic and supersonic wind tunnels in ANKARA for many industries such as Aviation, Automotive and Construction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back