Arshad Nadeem Wins Gold Medal for Pakistan

Nadeem, now 27, calls that throw the best of his career so far.
No doubt lmao, he just broke the all time Olympic record and second best of all time, even his last throw was above 90m's.

Respect.

Time to say good bye to that sordid and dying sports called cricket and invest time and money into traditional olympic sports as well as soccer and baseball...
There is no replacement for cricket. Period

1723152272741.png

javelin thrower​

Arshad Nadeem is one of seven athletes representing Pakistan at the Paris Olympics - and its biggest hope for a medal.

Pakistani javelin thrower Arshad Nadeem is a nine-time international medallist and four-time gold medallist [Muhammad Waqas/Al Jazeera]
By Abid Hussain
Published On 4 Aug 20244 Aug 2024
Lahore, Pakistan – On a balmy evening in August 2022 at Birmingham’s Alexander Stadium, the largest athletics grounds in the United Kingdom, a packed crowd was following the drama unfolding in the men’s javelin competition.

Arshad Nadeem, the Pakistani athlete, was preparing for his fifth and penultimate throw.

Moments earlier, Grenada’s Anderson Peters, a two-time world champion, had delivered a mighty 88.64-metre (291ft) throw, propelling himself to the gold medal position and pushing Nadeem down to second place.

Nadeem took hold of his bright yellow javelin and strode towards the beginning of his run-up, holding up his arms and clapping at the crowd, which cheered back enthusiastically.

Until Peters’s throw, Nadeem had led the competition, already surpassing the 85-metre (279ft) mark three times with his longest throw at 88 metres (289ft).

As the crowd’s clapping and cheering picked up, Nadeem, his throwing arm lined with pink therapeutic tape, took long strides before launching the javelin with a low grunt.

Beneath Birmingham’s pink and blue dusk sky, the spear soared through the air for about five seconds, then landed beyond the 90-metre (295ft) mark. The crowd roared as Nadeem held up his arms triumphantly, a gentle smile on his face before hugging a smiling Peters.

Shortly after, with no other competitor matching Nadeem’s record in their sixth and final attempt, his victory became official.

Nadeem’s throw was a new event record and also Pakistan’s first gold medal in track and field in six decades. He also became the first South Asian and only the second Asian man to surpass the 90-metre mark in the javelin throw.

Nadeem, now 27, calls that throw the best of his career so far.

“I was in good rhythm,” he recalled on a June afternoon after training. “I was confident [the earlier throws] would enable me to win the gold.

“Usually, by the third or fourth throw in any event, you have an idea who will emerge on top. Then Peters sent his fifth throw and went past 88 metres. But I was not nervous. By the grace of God, despite pain in my right elbow, I somehow managed to pull off my personal best,” he recounted.

Nadeem is Pakistan’s biggest hope for a medal in the 2024 Paris Olympics, which began on July 26.

The nine-time international medallist and four-time gold medallist came fifth at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. In Paris, he hopes to secure the country's first medal in 32 years after it won bronze in field hockey at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

“I feel strong and fit,” Nadeem said, “and quite hopeful of a strong performance in Paris.”

1723152366970.png

Self-made through hard work and determination. Today, I will just enjoy this, as it's one piece of good news in the midst of so much mess.

He did the nation proud at a time when it was sorely needed. BRAVO!

I am very happy for him and Pakistan today at this achievement. And who is second only makes it sweeter somehow. :D

At the opening ceremony of the Olympics on July 26 in Paris, Nadeem carried the Pakistan flag along with swimmer Jehanara Nabi.

“This is something straight out of a dream to be able to carry your country’s flag at the Olympics and a huge honour. But this is not the only thing for me. My main objective is to see my country’s flag being raised and the anthem being played if I get the gold,” Nadeem told Al Jazeera about a week before the Olympics began.

Among his competitors will be India’s Chopra, a now 27-year-old who has won seven gold medals. When they competed against one another at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, people on social media fanned the flames of the traditional rivalry between the South Asian countries and criticised Nadeem for being distracted and not winning a medal while Chopra won gold.

But Nadeem speaks fondly of his rival from India.

“Neeraj and I are on very good terms. Whenever we are abroad in training or an event, we always talk to each other and stay in touch, but when it comes to competition, then you only think of yourself,” the athlete explained. “Look, India is our neighbour. People on both sides say a lot of things about each other’s country, but this is what sports teaches us – to be friendly and that we don’t have to focus on our differences.”

He continued: “I know I have great rivals like Chopra or Peters or others, but ultimately, I compete against myself.”

Special on ONLY Arshad Nadeem: Mansoor Ali Khan

Special on ONLY Arshad Nadeem: Junaid Akram

There is no replacement for cricket. Period
Perhaps, but I really hope the Pakistani Football (Soccer) team gets really good. A great way to raise the right mind of awareness about the country around the world, the way our Gold medal Olympian has done today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back