Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

He said no pl-15 bvraams or pl-10 not sure which one on j-20 lmao
.I'm not even a Chinese military expert I can pull images out left and right not hard to find buddy. Maybe more research and less typing can go a long way.

Last edited:

F-35 will get meteor by end of decade keep dreaming dude.not only j-20 can carry SRAAMs but also bvraams .

Last edited:
Guys … a kind reminder in a similar way like @Michael noted not to drivel this discussion led by too high hopes in an endless way!

Too much is speculative, not much is proven or confirmed and a lot is at best guesswork! As uch presenting this in a too strong manner as facts can only lead to disappointments and anger within that topic!

That's not too bad tbh . At least we know ws-15 is in service now

Sorry again … it is NOT YET in service. It is said to be in LRIP but the J-20A - you call it B, but this is most likely wrong - is still in the test phase and not in production.

Sorry again … it is NOT YET in service. It is said to be in LRIP but the J-20A - you call it B, but this is most likely wrong - is still in the test phase and not in production.

When do you expect J-20B with WS-15 to be in service?

First - and maybe @Michael can correct me - the designations are most likely wrong. As it seems, the J-20 in service today is allegedly still just the J-20 and not the J-20A. Some add Roman numbers in brackets to differ this first variant clearer, namely the J-20 = prototypes, J-20 (I) = AL-31FN or FM powered and J-20 (II) = WS-10C powered and as such, the WS-15 powered one will be the J-20A.

But besides this uncertainty, if all goes well, I think it is possible, the J-20A (WS-15) to enter LRIP soon if nor already in the making and so that the first aircraft for the PLAAF are ready by year‘s end and being handed over in easily 2025 within the usual FTTC units. Service within active frontline units I expect only after two more years, so maybe by 2027.

But hey, that‘s just my guess.

The latest test flight images of the WS15+J20 have just been leaked. There is no more reliable information at this time.

According to the practice of PLA, Chinese military fans will pay special attention to CCTV7 in the near future. If CCTV7 recently aired some interviews/life reports of J20 pilots, or CAC-related videos, Chinese military fans will carefully look at every frame of these videos. Usually we find some absolutely reliable evidence.

The official announcement of the time, the actual production and use of these engines, will be a very large time difference. Chinese military fans will not wait for the official announcement, we will have our own way to find out.

Please be patient!

================================

@Deino

What the hell are these guys J20? J20A? J20B............

Unimportant. Until the official naming announcement comes out, we use it as we please, as long as we know what it means.

CCTV reporters often call the wrong model of PLA weapons and equipment in the official news.........................

Last edited:
First - and maybe @Michael can correct me - the designations are most likely wrong. As it seems, the J-20 in service today is allegedly still just the J-20 and not the J-20A. Some add Roman numbers in brackets to differ this first variant clearer, namely the J-20 = prototypes, J-20 (I) = AL-31FN or FM powered and J-20 (II) = WS-10C powered and as such, the WS-15 powered one will be the J-20A.

But besides this uncertainty, if all goes well, I think it is possible, the J-20A (WS-15) to enter LRIP soon if nor already in the making and so that the first aircraft for the PLAAF are ready by year‘s end and being handed over in easily 2025 within the usual FTTC units. Service within active frontline units I expect only after two more years, so maybe by 2027.

But hey, that‘s just my guess.

I am trying to use a simple system in order to differentiate between the engine versions.

J-20 - AL-31F
J-20A - WS-10C
J-20B - WS-15

Of course this may be completely different to how the PLAAF designates the aircraft but in the absence of concrete information from them, we just need to use a simple reference to each engine version of the J-20.

With WS-15 in serial production since 2023, I think we may see the first squadron of J-20Bs formed next year but there is no reason they cannot be put straight in front-line units in 2025. It is a dual engine plane and so there is less risk of complete engine failure and remember the current J-20A engine WS-10C is quite a powerful engine in its own right and so this would be like half a generation lift in performance(~140Kn - ~160kn). Not a night and day difference.

Pl-15 is a very long range bvr aam and has a use case against force multipliers awacs tankers but also capable against other aircraft like fighters and bombers. It should be in the range of 400 km.
PL15 range is 205 km according various respected Chinese sources PLAAF version and why you need 2 missiles (BVR) with similar capabilities ? It's a waste of resources to develop 2 BVR with same capabilities (to target awacs/tankers and ISR platforms) PL-15 and PL17?

Ok guys … this stupid back and forth and constant off topic posting MUST END!

Take this as a warning to stick to the topic, namely the J-20 or face the consequences

I am trying to use a simple system in order to differentiate between the engine versions.

J-20 - AL-31F
J-20A - WS-10C
J-20B - WS-15

Of course this may be completely different to how the PLAAF designates the aircraft but in the absence of concrete information from them, we just need to use a simple reference to each engine version of the J-20.

With WS-15 in serial production since 2023, I think we may see the first squadron of J-20Bs formed next year but there is no reason they cannot be put straight in front-line units in 2025. It is a dual engine plane and so there is less risk of complete engine failure and remember the current J-20A engine WS-10C is quite a powerful engine in its own right and so this would be like half a generation lift in performance(~140Kn - ~160kn). Not a night and day difference.
At present, the official AL31/WS10C version of J20 is collectively referred to as J20, and does not use the suffix A or B.

As I said before, AL31 has always been a temporary solution in the official positioning. We don't know how many J20s use AL31, so we can only guess that it shouldn't be a large number.

At the moment, we don't know how much the J20 in WS15 has changed compared to the previous version. According to the analysis of the pictures that have been leaked, it is a relatively big change, but this is only the analysis of Chinese military fans, and it is not reliable.

Therefore, we guess that the latest WS15 version of J20 is more likely to use J20A code.

But, it's just speculation, that's all. Until the official announcement comes out, these can only be taken as a joke.

However, now that PLAAF has been equipped with a large number of J20s, Chinese military fans and Chinese media have not shown much interest in J20 news, and it is difficult to become a hot news.

The first J20 leaked photo in history. The author was invited to tea by the police, warned and sent home.

20 days after the photo was leaked, test pilot Li Gang successfully completed its first flight in the J20.

Friends who like to study can bookmark this historically significant picture

bfmtle7l.png

8wy239zk.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Country Watch Latest

Back