Indian Air Force News & Discussions

Pingle

Dec 20, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

What I am interested in this more is I heard Greek Mirages if we go for then those will be used for spares for existing fleet but these Qatari Mirages will be directly deployed in active duty and not for spares.... hope the deal goes on.... this will boost our Mirage inventory....

Oscar

Mar 28, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Far cry from Indian posters saying they never wanted them. I said it when they were first offered that India is the logical destination for countries looking to rid M2ks. IAF loves them for VERY good reasons and regardless of Tejas or otherwise these will continue to be in the IAF for another 15-20 years for capability and strength.

agidest

Mar 6, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Far cry from Indian posters saying they never wanted them. I said it when they were first offered that India is the logical destination for countries looking to rid M2ks. IAF loves them for VERY good reasons and regardless of Tejas or otherwise these will continue to be in the IAF for another 15-20 years for capability and strength.
Don't underestimate Indian MoD's sheer ineptitude at procurement. They will botch it up.

DDG-80

Banned
Dec 26, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
We have no alternative but to purchase these second-hand jets from Greece and the Qatar.

Oscar

Mar 28, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
We have no alternative but to purchase these second-hand jets from Greece and the Qatar.
Yes - your people realized this back in 2001 when they wanted new M2k-5s and the French said take the Rafale and pay 2.5 times more.

Circadian Rhythm

May 5, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I never said deal - I said asked.

Mirage Deal was Shelved because IAF was in favour of SU 30

We could only buy either Su 30 or additional Mirages

Then later when MMRCA competition started , Eurofighter was offered by Germany , F 16 Block 70 and F 18 by USA

So obviously France offered Rafale

The Cost is justified because of the Capabilities

Circadian Rhythm

May 5, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
IAF loves them for VERY good reasons and regardless of Tejas or otherwise these will continue to be in the IAF for another 15-20 years for capability and strength.

Tejas MK 2 serial production will start in 5 years time

It is shaping up very well with Rafale like Cockpit and Sensor Fusion

This was specifically demanded by IAF for Tejas Mk.2 after inducting Rafale

And Mirage 2000s will be retired after 2035

Even Now the Tejas MK 1A with AESA is better than Upgraded Mirage which carries RDY 3 radar

Mirage has more fuel carrying capacity and hence more loiter time

Oscar

Mar 28, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Mirage Deal was Shelved because IAF was in favour of SU 30

We could only buy either Su 30 or additional Mirages

Then later when MMRCA competition started , Eurofighter was offered by Germany , F 16 Block 70 and F 18 by USA

So obviously France offered Rafale

The Cost is justified because of the Capabilities
Mirages were not being pushed - Rafale was.
MMRCA came later.

Circadian Rhythm

May 5, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Mirages were not being pushed - Rafale was.
MMRCA came later.

France did the Right Thing by pushing Rafale in MMRCA tender

We made a mistake by Not going for more Mirage 2000s after Kargil

But then Resources were finite

And Su 30 was better than Su 27 in which PAF was interested in the Mid Nineties after Pressler had Stopped the sale of additional F 16s

Russia was desperate for an additional export order after selling 40 Su 30 to India in Mid Nineties

After Kargil , ie in 2000 AD
India went for 3 deals

1 Brahmos Joint Venture ,
2 Su 30 Licenced Production at HAL and
3 ) 2000 T 90 MBTs

So No Money left for Additional Mirage 2000s

Oscar

Mar 28, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
France did the Right Thing by pushing Rafale in MMRCA tender

We made a mistake by Not going for more Mirage 2000s after Kargil

But then Resources were finite

And Su 30 was better than Su 27 in which PAF was interested in the Mid Nineties after Pressler had Stopped the sale of additional F 16s

Russia was desperate for an additional export order after selling 40 Su 30 to India in Mid Nineties

After Kargil , ie in 2000 AD
India went for 3 deals

1 Brahmos Joint Venture ,
2 Su 30 Licenced Production at HAL and
3 ) 2000 T 90 MBTs

So No Money left for Additional Mirage 2000s

MMRCA was never M2k - France was shutting down M2k line and wanted to sell Rafale for additional marketing.

India even offered to do local ToT but the French wanted to sell Rafale. The two aircraft are not comparable in class.

The M2k fulfills a role that is different to a Rafale - India loves it - and needs to sustain the fleet as well until comparable local(or imported assets depending on delays) can be brought in

Users who are viewing this thread