Iranian Air Force (IRIAF/IRGC-ASF) | News and Discussions

I agree. SU-35 would be a good stop-gap and the ToT would be very useful for future homegrown projects.

However, Iran really needs to consolidate its air fleet and only fly 2 or 3 types.
Training and engineering upkeep on such a diverse fleet is prohibitively costly.

Well arent those costs it will inevitably have to pay either way? There's no escaping paying for an airforce...

lets be realistic, it is not. you that want to liberate Jerusalem, or at least to fully support actors who are committed to task, right?

Wake me up when Iran gets invaded by another state then we can talk...until then the defence doctrine works. But Iran doesn't need an airforce to support proxies, they just need access to them to give them drones, missiles and battle knowledge.

Well arent those costs it will inevitably have to pay either way? There's no escaping paying for an airforce...
No. It’s extremely expensive.
Way cheaper to only have one or 2 types.
Training and engineering is the reason airlines only fly 1 or 2 aircraft types.
Low cost carriers only fly 1 type. Saves billions overall.

How is it "extremely" expensive to pay two suppliers for 10 planes than one supplier for 20 planes? Other than getting discount on the initial order on the latter, in both scenarios they will have to part with the same amount of cash for training and parts over time. All it does is makes it more complicated as you have Iranian, Russian and US systems.

Wake me up when Iran gets invaded by another state then we can talk...until then the defence doctrine works. But Iran doesn't need an airforce to support proxies, they just need access to them to give them drones, missiles and battle knowledge.
core of the problem that you obviously do not understand, proxies DO need air force and AD.

core of the problem that you obviously do not understand, proxies DO need air force and AD.

No, militants fighting guerilla warfare don't need an airforce, and there's no need to build a strawman regarding AD when Iran has been providing this. Airforce are for stateactors. Know the difference.

How is it "extremely" expensive to pay two suppliers for 10 planes than one supplier for 20 planes? Other than getting discount on the initial order on the latter, in both scenarios they will have to part with the same amount of cash for training and parts over time. All it does is makes it more complicated as you have Iranian, Russian and US systems.
I’m not having a pop at you, just imparting my knowledge, for what it’s worth.
As a B777 captain, I do know a little about aviation costs.

Iran under sanction, does not have the surplus cash to throw at a diverse air fleet.
It will end up consolidating to just a couple of types.

Just info. Take it or dismiss it…..

No, militants fighting guerilla warfare don't need an airforce, and there's no need to build a strawman regarding AD when Iran has been providing this. Airforce are for stateactors. Know the difference.
Yemen and Syria are not militants, it is not strawmen those two does not go in separate ways if want to achieve optimum effect of each mentioned.

I’m not having a pop at you, just imparting my knowledge, for what it’s worth.
As a B777 captain, I do know a little about aviation costs.

Iran under sanction, does not have the surplus cash to throw at a diverse air fleet.
It will end up consolidating to just a couple of types.

Just info. Take it or dismiss it…..

Assuming what you're saying is true, you know about how to save fuel in flight, but I would be hardpressed to take knowledge on purchasing fighter jets in a military. That would be like a truck driver claiming to know how to start a sports car manufacturing company.

Iran is doing a careful balancing act between immediate needs of the national security and domestic innovation. And considering a big chunk of Iran's airforce is Russian and Iran is helping Russia in Ukraine I'm sure there is a lot of cost savings that you are not aware of.

Last edited:
Yemen and Syria are not militants, it is not strawmen those two does not go in separate ways if want to achieve optimum effect of each mentioned.

The houthis are militants, Hezbollah and Hamas are militants, all the Iraqi groups are militants, all you're left with is Syria. Iran is helping Syria fight daesh, which it did successfully without airforce, and defence against Israel incursion which is less successful since enough effective air defence SAMs are not getting into Syria, nothing to do with airforce. If Syria wanted to get Golan back then an airforce would be required, or if Iran had offensive defence doctrine. But this is not the case as of now.

The houthis are militants, Hezbollah and Hamas are militants, all the Iraqi groups are militants, all you're left with is Syria. Iran is helping Syria fight daesh, which it did successfully without airforce, and defence against Israel incursion which is less successful since enough effective air defence SAMs are not getting into Syria, nothing to do with airforce. If Syria wanted to get Golan back then an airforce would be required, or if Iran had offensive defence doctrine. But this is not the case as of now.
yep, and america mission is to spread democracy around the world, got it.

Also, what do you mean LCC only operate 1 type of aircraft? Ryanair has 5, EasyJet has 4, Vueling has 5. Then you have other legacy airlines like BA which has 13 types of aircraft.

yep, and america mission is to spread democracy around the world, got it.

Yes they have an offensive strategy hence why their airforce is integral.

Yes they have an offensive strategy hence why their airforce is integral.
that was not what i meant, do not have intend to discuss around false state discourses, it is intellectual insulting.

that was not what i meant, do not have intend to discuss around false state discourses, it is intelectualy insulting.

Im not a mind reader, perhaps be more clear in what you mean than try to be sarcastic or cryptic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back