Iranian Air Force (IRIAF/IRGC-ASF) | News and Discussions

again if somebody say a modern f15 is better than Su-35 that is a fact and no i again state Iran must invest in domestic air plane that we can upgrade and improve even if in its current form its inferior to foreign one that you guys like so much but still inferior to anything our neighbors have . and for the record iran have the option of investing in domestic solution instead of wasting it on foreign parts. mark my word buying su-35 will bite us later just like when buying those mig-29 bite us latter and russia refused us upgrades they provided to anybody else .

I just dont understand why you always bring up American or Western being better when we mention Su-35, as though Iran has the option to buy western. Besides, Iran hasnt even got Su-35 yet so I doubt any funds have gone towards that endeavour so all we are left with is Kowsar. So, contrary to what you're saying, Iran is trying to built domestically but you will have to manage your expectations and be a bit more patient since Iran has no modern fighter to learn from nor are foreigners helping Iran like with Turkey. So it will go at snail's pace until this changes.

I think they too know that, that's why they've been trying to buy Su-35s. That's a silent admission of the problem.
frankly and in their defense they have very limited number of options due geopolitical status of their country and each direction they choose is with many strings attached, if they pursue hard on like this on other weapons they simply do not have money for domestic solution, even if they have money they do not have proper access to chips and engines, really challenging task, foreign airplanes are also out of the reach for them in long time ahead.
in that sense i can understand mindset to ditch that direction of developing formidable airforce but that does not change the fact of exposure and limitations of their armed forces, especially in aspiration to confront and challenge other western backed players in region.
but who knows many aspects of their doctrine work out well and yield results, so this inner airforce situation of theirs remains debatable in terms of significance for them.

frankly and in their defense they have very limited number of options due geopolitical status of their country and each direction they choose is with many strings attached, if they pursue hard on like this on other weapons they simply do not have money for domestic solution, even if they have money they do not have proper access to chips and engines, really challenging task, foreign airplanes are also out of the reach for them in long time ahead.
in that sense i can understand mindset to ditch that direction of developing formidable airforce but that does not change the fact of exposure and limitations of their armed forces, especially in aspiration to confront and challenge other western backed players in region.
but who knows many aspects of their doctrine work out well and yield results, so this inner airforce situation of theirs remains debatable in terms of significance for them.

Well, our lack of airforce and industrious missile defence has prevented an invasion so I don't know what exposure or limitations you are referring to. The defence doctrine is working thus far.

I just dont understand why you always bring up American or Western being better when we mention Su-35, as though Iran has the option to buy western. Besides, Iran hasnt even got Su-35 yet so I doubt any funds have gone towards that endeavour so all we are left with is Kowsar. So, contrary to what you're saying, Iran is trying to built domestically but you will have to manage your expectations and be a bit more patient since Iran has no modern fighter to learn from nor are foreigners helping Iran like with Turkey. So it will go at snail's pace until this changes.
I compare American aircraft because our neighbor use them ,and our airforce when equipped with su-35 must face them, and as i recall in old forum i brought up j-10c when relevant because that also is being used by our neighbors
and again Iran after experience how Russia threat us about mig-29 have the option on investing the money it want to give Russia for su-35 in domestic fighter program and developing the needed subsystem for it and use the money we are going to give Russia for yak-130 trainer in building enough yasin trainer for our air force

Well, our lack of airforce and industrious missile defence has prevented an invasion so I don't know what exposure or limitations you are referring to. The defence doctrine is working thus far.
speed and acceleration of thousand cuts doctrine that you are trying to implement, enemy has time to adapt and confront it. regarding limitations, those one are obvious, jews attack your assets in syria and libanon and kills your personal without to many troubles and risks for them.

Thus proving our point that you have had foreign help. And who gave Russia or US engines? The same can be said of China as they have copied most of their designs from foreign jets, some would say stolen.
So what?
USA stole jet engine technology from UK and Germany in 1945.
Doesn’t matter how you got the knowledge, it matters what you do with it.

Frank Whittle Inventor Turbojet

Last edited:
Iran didnt show interest in Su-35 after Pakistan incident...
Yes. They've been aware of this problem for a long time.

I think they could have done better than obsessing over F-5. If they were able to get F-14 parts, they could have gotten their hands on some engines.

Also brain drain is a real problem, I've met Iranian aerospace engineers living abroad, western educated, capable people, not wanting to go back to Iran. Something could be done about that.

I compare American aircraft because our neighbor use them ,and our airforce when equipped with su-35 must face them, and as i recall in old forum i brought up j-10c when relevant because that also is being used by our neighbors
and again Iran after experience how Russia threat us about mig-29 have the option on investing the money it want to give Russia for su-35 in domestic fighter program and developing the needed subsystem for it and use the money we are going to give Russia for yak-130 trainer in building enough yasin trainer for our air force

Okay, but what makes you more confident that Kowsar would fare any better than Su-35 against western jets? We don't even know if Iran has parted money for these Russian products, all we see are articles and the odd statement from the military spokesman. I also agree that the yak acquisition seems pointless unless it has something to do with ease of training with Russian systems. But even if Iran has parted money, is the money a significant dent to the funds needed for Kowsar? Could the su-35 acquisition be part of a bigger trade with how Iran is helping Russian in Ukraine? And why are we ignoring the immediate needs of our air defence, when a few squadrons of su-35 can give us some cover until Kowsar is more developed?

So what?
USA stole jet engine technology from UK and Germany in 1945.
Doesn’t matter how you got the knowledge, it matters what you do with it.
So alot! Theres a massive difference between stealing tech in 1945, and foreigners being paid to tell you exactly what to build. Chalk and cheese comparison. Hence why the Turkish chest beating doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
speed and acceleration of thousand cuts doctrine that you are trying to implement, enemy has time to adapt and confront it. regarding limitations, those one are obvious, jews attack your assets in syria and libanon and kills your personal without to many troubles and risks for them.

You need to realise that Iran's defence doctrine is defensive not offensive, hence why the current plan works. We're talking about how well Iran has prevented invasions of Iranian airspace not foreign airspace where Iran merely sends personnel and advisors, that is the responsibility of Syria and Lebanon.

a few squadrons of su-35 can give us some cover until Kowsar is more developed?
I agree. SU-35 would be a good stop-gap and the ToT would be very useful for future homegrown projects.

However, Iran really needs to consolidate its air fleet and only fly 2 or 3 types.
Training and engineering upkeep on such a diverse fleet is prohibitively costly.

You need to realise that Iran's defence doctrine is defensive not offensive, hence why the current plan works. We're talking about how well Iran has prevented invasions of Iranian airspace not foreign airspace where Iran merely sends personnel and advisors, that is the responsibility of Syria and Lebanon.
lets be realistic, it is not. you that want to liberate Jerusalem, or at least to fully support actors who are committed to task, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back