Iranian Air Force (IRIAF/IRGC-ASF) | News and Discussions

Also, what do you mean LCC only operate 1 type of aircraft? Ryanair has 5, EasyJet has 4, Vueling has 5. Then you have other legacy airlines like BA which has 13 types of aircraft.
I think you maybe confuse variants with types.

Ryanair fly B737NG in 2 variants. These are slowly being replaced by B737-Max in 2 variants. They also own Airbus A320 from their purchase of Lauda Air. These will be replaced over time by B737-Max.
Vueling operate A319/320/321 family. That is 1 type.
EasyJet fly A319/320/321. Again 1 type.
BA is not low cost and needs different aircraft for the large or short distances it covers, but still it only operates A319/320/321, A350 and A380.
(Airbus types have commonality in engineering and training)
And Boeing B777/B787 again with commonality in training and engineering.
They choose these specifically to save on costs.

Anyway, I’m not sure why I’m needing to defend myself. I only offered an opinion on something I have knowledge of.

No, militants fighting guerilla warfare don't need an airforce, and there's no need to build a strawman regarding AD when Iran has been providing this. Airforce are for stateactors. Know the difference.
Every fighting force need Air defence, if Hamaz, Hizbullah or Hauthis have credible air defence, the situation would have been different.
One thing I don't understand about Iran is why it doesn't provide manpad to the axis of resistance?

Every fighting force need Air defence, if Hamaz, Hizbullah or Hauthis have credible air defence, the situation would have been different.
One thing I don't understand about Iran is why it doesn't provide manpad to the axis of resistance?
What can a MANPAD do to fighter jets?

I imagine they do, but are not effective. For instance as you have to point it at the drone, you have to first know that the drone is there!
Aircraft will fire their missiles from way beyond the range of manpads.
They are only really useful against helicopters or aircraft taking off & landing.

:oops::oops::oops:Do you mean ManPADs doesn't have any effect on the battle field?
they are useless against fighter jets unless you have a layered air defence forcing them to fly low

Ryanair fly B737NG in 2 variants. These are slowly being replaced by B737-Max in 2 variants. They also own Airbus A320 from their purchase of Lauda Air. These will be replaced over time by B737-Max.
BA is not low cost and needs different aircraft for the large or short distances it covers, but still it only operates A319/320/321, A350 and A380.

Anyway, I’m not sure why I’m needing to defend myself. I only offered an opinion on something I have knowledge of.
Similiarly TurAF operates 2 types, F4 2020 Terminator and F16 CCIP variants.

But soon F16s will divide into two variants, F-16 Özgür and F-16V and F4s are going to be replaced by Eurofighter Tranche 4s (hopefully)

We have to accept the bitter of reality bro. Israel will always air superiority thanks to American non stop support.

What fighter jet can we build that would he better than F35 and F22? Impossible mission because of decades of delay.

The asymmetric doctrine keeps high value fighter jets such as F14 or SU35 as the final air defense layer inside the country. In this doctrine, drones will protect Iranian naval assets plus the long range anti ship missiles. Not fighter bombers.

The only hope that we have in aviation sector to play that role that you mentioned, is the unmanned version of Qaher F-313. Which is still in development phase. No country in the world gives us engines and radars for fighter jets hence we are on our own. Takes time and effort

It will have air to air capability plus possibly small drones in its bay.
Nothing bitter about it. Zionia makes superior matzo ball soup too. Who cares and we don't need to compete with it. We have our own khoresh-ghorme-sabzi--and it kicks ass. :D

Last edited:
Nothing bitter about it. Zionia makes superior motzo ball soup too. Who cares and we don't need to compete with it. We have our own khoresh-ghorme-sabzi--and it kicks ass. :D
Noushe Joon

No, those are not types theyre called families. We have aircraft type designators which are differentiated by what you call variant. Anyway, seems that the choice in the airline industry is only two or three maximum as you either fly boeing or airbus. Also not seeing the relation with extreme effect on cost or the situation Iran is in when they only need to train 20 or 30 people at most per generation as opposed to generations of people in a company with an enormous fleet size with hubs across the globe! Hence why these don't translate to the military sector or for Iran specifically. Nobody asked you to defend yourself but don't expect an echo chamber either, that would be an appeal to authority.

Last edited:

No a non state actor wont have the luxury of an airfield, hangars or an airforce. That's unrealistic.

I'm not clear how good Iranian tech is on manpads considering they allegedly only recently took some javelins from ukraine for reverse engineer. Also logistics is a massive issue right now for obvious reasons. Regardless this is offtopic now.

No, those are not types theyre called families. We have aircraft type designators which are differentiated by what you call variant.

Righto. I’m talking out of my ass flying over 11,000 hours on these things for major airlines around the world over 25 years. 😂

WHAT HAPPENED DURING IRAN'S SEVEN-DAY ZULFIQAR-1400 EXERCISE?​

1. Aviation Features
  2. What happened during Iran's seven-day Zulfiqar-1400 exercise?

By Babak Taghvaee 12th January 2022
FEATURE

Babak Taghvaee recently monitored the activities of Iran’s main military branches during Exercise Zulfiqar-1400 - a major seven-day exercise on the southeast coastline of the country.
The Iranian military put on a major exercise in early November that saw all four of its military branches – air, air defence, ground and navy – practise their interoperability skills. The drills performed during Joint Exercise Zulfiqar-1400, took place from November 1-7, centring on the Makran district on the Gulf of Oman. Aviation assets in the exercise comprised 16 fixed-wing aircraft, including 14 Iranian Air Force fighters, alongside six UAVs and 14 helicopters, notably four AH-1J attack helicopters. All this took place a few days after a large scale air force exercise that involved more than 80 fighter jets.
Exercise Zulfiqar-1400 [Ali Kashani]
Two F-4E Phantoms of the 101 Combat Command Training Squadron participating in Joint Exercise Zulfiqar-1400 hold at the end of the Chahabahar runway on November 1. Ali Kashani

Defending the coast

Joint Exercise Zulfiqar-1400 was conducted with two key objectives: increasing interoperability of the Iranian army forces, while countering an enemy invasion in the southeast of Iran. It saw all of the assets simulating a counter coastal attack involving one or more regional adversaries.
Since 1979, the Iranian Armed Forces have had a relatively weak presence in the southeast of Iran. This means the shores of the Makran district are more vulnerable to an invasion by foreign forces compared to the coasts of south and southwest Iran. As a result Iran’s military has conducted a number of operations to compensate for the lack of military presence in that area.
Exercise Zulfiqar-1400 map
Map of Iranian bases involved in Zulfiqar-1400.
More importantly, participating forces simulated the rapid deployment of their joint forces to the region to counter any coastal attack from the enemy. Forces and military equipment from units based more than 1,500km away were deployed to the area, including the Airborne Special Forces of the 223rd Quick Response Special Operations Brigade (QRSOB) of the Amy Ground Force, who were flown from Tehran to Konarak onboard a C-130H transport aircraft on November 3.
While the Iranian Air Defense Force (IRIADF) was responsible for securing the airspace over the area where the exercise was being held, the Navy and Army Ground Force were tasked with protecting the coastline as well as the Iranian territorial waters in the Oman Sea from the invading forces. A number of units from the Army, Navy and Ground Forces played the role of enemy in an Orange — not the more usual Red — forces against Blue forces scenario.
One of five Ababil AB.3s of Iranian Navy at the 10th TFB, Chahbahar. They are used for surveillance and maritime patrol in the proximity of the air base. Ali Kashani

Iran's southeast

Exercise Zulfiqa-1400r took place in the southeast province of Sistan and Baluchistan, a largely mountainous area that shares a 200-mile frontier with Afghanistan and a much longer 575-mile border with Pakistan. There have been several flashpoints along the border with Pakistan, because of the local support for the Balochistan independence movement in Pakistan. From Iran’s perspective, Sistan and Baluchistan also has a 300-mile stretch of coast overlooking the Gulf of Oman that could be vulnerable to an attack from some of its neighbours, which served as justification for holding Zulfiqar-1400 there.
An ex-Iraqi Mirage F1EQ-6, 3-6214, of the 102nd Aggressor Squadron lands after a mission on November 7. Ali Kashani

Iranian Army Aviation on drills

This was the second time this year that the Iranian Army Aviation (IRIAA) had held an exercise in southeast Iran. Back in January 2021, the 4th Combat Support Group (4th GSG) attended Eqtedar-99 on the coast of Makran. During the maneuvers, seven infrared camera-equipped Bell 214A Isfahan utility helicopters and three CH- 47C Chinook transport helicopters were used by the 223rd QRSOB of the Iranian Army Ground Force (IRIGF) for day and night operations.
During Zulfiqar-1400, it was the Army Aviation’s 3rd Combat Group based in the city of Kerman which were involved, providing two AH-1J Cobra attack helicopters (serial numbers 3-4519 and 3-4531), two AH-1J TOW Cobras (serials 3-4550 and 3-4589) and three Bell 214A Isfahan utility helicopters (serials 6-4854, 6-4857 and 6-4858).
Ground crew of the 101st CCTS load flare pods on to an F-4D, 3-6702, prior to a night bombing sortie on November 3. The F-4Ds launched flares to light up targets for the F-4Es and their iron bombs. Ali Kashani
Unlike the four AH-1s, the three Bell 214As only worked day operations. They were used for transporting three teams of the 223rd QRSOB, while the AH-1Js provided close air support for them at a gunnery range off the coast. The AH-1J pilots and gunners practiced their skills with guns, rockets and BGM-71A TOW anti-tank missiles. They also provided close air support for the artillery, armoured and infantry Forces of the IRIGF.
The 288th Armoured Brigade of the IRIGF, from the city of Khash, participated in the exercise with its T-72S1 main battle tanks and BMP-2 infantry fighting vehicles. The 388th Infantry Brigade from Iranshahr also participated with its BTR-60 armoured personnel carriers, BM-21 Grad multiple rocket launchers and a number of Howitzers such as Austrian GHN-45s, Russian D-30s and Iranian HM-41s firing Basir laser-guided rounds.
Exercise Zulfiqar-1400 [Shahram Sharafi]
An AH-1J TOW Cobra, 3-4531 fires unguided rockets to support Navy Marines and Army Special Forces during a counter-attack mission on the coast of Konarak on November 4. Shahram Sharafi

Naval aviation involvement

Iranian Navy Aviation brought seven helicopters, four drones and two hovercraft, including two Agusta Bell AB 212ASW (serials 6-2410 and 6-2416), four Agusta Sikorsky ASH-3D Sea King anti-submarine warfare helicopters (serials 8-2301, 8-2303, 8-2306 and 8-2316) and a single RH-53D Sea Stallion (serial 9-2701).
During the exercise, a pair of the ASH- 3Ds and two AB212ASWs flew Iranian Navy Marines to the coast of Makran. The Marines performed fast-roping from the Sea Kings, while a group of eight Marine paratroopers took part in parachute jumping from the RH-53D. Their weapons and military gear were airdropped next to them over the coast of Konarak.
Exercise Zulfiqar-1400 [Mehdi Nazari]
Paratroopers of the Iranian Navy Marines prepare to board an RH-53D of the Iranian Navy (9-2701) on November 4. Mehdi Nazari
Four squads of Marines used four IRINA helicopters for the coastal defense operation, while two other squads used a BH7 Wellington-class hovercraft (serial 104) off the coast of Konarak. They played the role of Orange forces and each one used a trail motorcycle to exit from the front door of the hovercraft. The Wellington wasn’t the only hovercraft of the IRINA which participated in the exercise, as an SR.N6 Winchester-class vessel was also present.
The IRINA also operated four drones in the exercise. There were two Shahed-129 UCAVs (unmanned combat air vehicles), known by the Navy as ‘Simorgh’. These drones (serials 027 and 030) were used to airdrop Sadid smart bombs over the Konarak coast to support the Blue forces. A Mohajer-6 UCAV and a Mohajer-4 UAV were also used for a variety of missions, including maritime surveillance and battle damage assessment.
The oldest ASH-3D Sea King in Iran hovers over the marines landing zone, allowing troops to fast-rope down to the ground on November 4. Shahram Sharafi
During the maritime surveillance mission, the UAVs detected several ships and vessels that had been towed to the exercise area at night, so they could be targeted and destroyed by Iranian Navy frigates and fast attack crafts (FACs). The Tabarzin FAC (serial P232) launched a Ghadir anti-ship missile, while the Keivan patrol boat (serial 201) followed with a C-704 Nasr anti-ship missile fired at a retired cargo ship in the Oman Sea. The shore based anti-ship units of the Iranian Navy also launched anti-ship missiles, such as the C-802 Noor, at wrecked ships in the area of the exercise. The surveillance drones were used for battle damage assessment after each missile launch.

Air force participation

The 16 IRIAF fighters comprised three F-4D Phantom IIs of the 101st CCTS (serials 3-6693, 3-6697 and 3-6702), eight F-4E Phantom IIs (serials unknown), a Mirage F1BQ (serial 3-6406) and a Mirage F1EQ-6 (serial 3-6214). They conducted two types of missions – during close air support for the Blue forces, the F-4Ds were armed with 250Ib Mk 81 iron bombs to destroy targets on the coast. The F-4Es were also armed with AGM-65AM, a modern variant of the TV-guided Maverick missiles with a digital seeker instead of the optical/TV lens.
AB 212ASW, 6-2416, hovers while Navy Marines disembark from the helicopter along the coast of Konarak on November 4. Shahram Sharafi
All 16 fighters flew from their home bases. The F-4Ds with the Mirage F1s flew from the 10th Tactical Fighter Base near the area of the exercise at Chabahar, while the F-4Es, which belonged to the 6th and 8th Tactical Fighter Bases, flew to Konarak from Bushehr and Bandar Abbas respectively. Due to the long distance, a Boeing 747-131F heavy tanker (5-8103) refueled them.
All the Mirage F1s were used as aggressor aircraft to support the Orange forces, with a Mirage F1BQ-3 (3-6406) under the command of the high-ranking Brigadier Homayoun Heidari, commander of 10th TFB (who would probably have been in the rear seat). The jets were not just used for dissimilar air combat training against the F-4Es, but to work the surface-to-air missile (SAM) battery operators of the Iranian Air Defense Force (IRIADF).
A 53-year-old F-4D, 3-6702, prepares to land at the 10th TFB after a combat air patrol on November 5. It was returning after a dogfight with Mirage F1BQ-3, 3-6406. Ali Kashani
Three SAM systems were used in the main exercise area. One of them, a Modernized I-HAWK, fired one MIM-23B Hawk SAM at a target drone. The others were Mersad-16 and 15th Khordad. The Mersad-16 fired a Shalamcheh-2 medium-range surface-toair missile, while the 15th Khordad fired a Sayyad-3 medium-range surface-to-air missile. During the live SAM firings, Karrar and Kiyan target drones were used by the IRIADF to play the role of the fighter jets and drones of the Orange forces.
During the drills, the Iranian Air Force used a number of surveillance and reconnaissance assets, including an RF-4E Phantom II (serial 2-6502) from the 31st Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron (TRS) that has recently been equipped with digital cameras, capable of delivering photographs immediately after the landing of the aircraft. Obviously the aircraft has no data-linking capability.
Exercise Zulfiqar-1400 [Mehdi Nazari]
A weapon and ammunition air drop for Iranian Navy Marines from a Navy RH-53D on November 4. Mehdi Nazari
For maritime patrol missions, a P-3F Orion (serial 5-8705) flew from its base at Bandar Abbas and the 9th TFB was used alongside an Ababil AB.3 (serial 6-2324) surveillance drone. The drones flew in from 10th TFB at Konarak.
In addition to surveillance drones, the IRIAF was also operating armed and loitering drones. At-least one Kaman-12 armed drone participated in the exercise and airdropped Qaem TV/IR-guided smart bombs, while several Arash loitering drones were used against various ground targets off the coast of Konarak.
This ex-Iraqi Mirage F1BQ-3, 3-6406, was recently painted in a gunship-grey scheme after its overhaul at Mashhad. It is shown returning to the 10th TFB after a dissimilar air combat with and F-4D, 3-6702. Sitting in the back seat is Brigadier Homayoun Heidari, commander of the air base. Ali Kashani

Users who are viewing this thread

Back