• English is the official language of this forum. Posts in other languages will receive a warning, except in threads where foreign languages are permitted.

No JF-17 B3 with PL-15 Air to Air Missile (yet)

warbird

Jan 23, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
There are two LRAAM >200kms versions employed in PAF. But obviously no details.

That_Guy

Think Tank Analyst
Mar 29, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Is jf-17B3 equipped with PL15E with a range of 145KM or PL-15 with a range of more than 200KM??
A lot of fanboys say it's the PL-15 with 200KM range, but it's likely the PL-15E with 145KM range.

I don't seen China giving the full range to anyone else until they develop a successor to it with an even longer range.

Oct 29, 2020
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
No for JF17 BLK III we have PL15E which has a range of 145 km, maybe our J10C is using standard PL15 with the range of 200 km that currently PLAAF using

Can anybody confirm or deny that we are using standard PL15 with a range of 200 km on our J10C just like PLAAF using?or we are using export version of PL15 (range 145 km) on our J10C?

warbird

Jan 23, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
No for JF17 BLK III we have PL15E which has a range of 145 km, maybe our J10C is using standard PL15 with the range of 200 km that currently PLAAF using

Can anybody confirm or deny that we are using standard PL15 with a range of 200 km on our J10C just like PLAAF using?or we are using export version of PL15 (range 145 km) on our J10C?

No details for now.

TopGun786

Jul 14, 2019
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Several sources claim that PAF 15s are not E versions.
J10CE jets with Pakistan have PL-15s with clearly marked "E" on those... But that may be a deception.
Plus there was some news of Pakistan getting some PL-15 directly from PLAAF stock post Feb 2019 incident.
Anyways the main question is JF-17 Block 3 are equipped with PL-15/PL-15E or not?

Oct 29, 2020
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
No details for now.
I think JF-17 Block-III has a E version (limited AESAs range 170 km) whereas our J10C has standard PLAAF PL15 with a 200 km in range better AESA range, and remember bro there were several rumors on old PDF that we have standard PLAAF version of PL15 for our JF17 after post feb 2019 skirmish

Lion

May 1, 2016
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Export version. PL-15E.

Lion

May 1, 2016
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
J10CE jets with Pakistan have PL-15s with clearly marked "E" on those... But that may be a deception.
Plus there was some news of Pakistan getting some PL-15 directly from PLAAF stock post Feb 2019 incident.
Anyways the main question is JF-17 Block 3 are equipped with PL-15/PL-15E or not?
No confirmed usage of a PL-15/PL-15E from a JF-17 so far. If they had integrated them successfully they’d have shown it by now, no reason to hide it. They’ve already shown they have the missiles after all.
I don’t doubt they have been fired from the platform, but given the lack of acknowledgment of a rather major achievement it’s most likely that it still needs more work. With how actively China and Pakistan market the JF-17, showcasing that it can now use PL-15 would be a rather high priority if this was already achieved, I’m sure it will be soon.

Last edited:

Lion

May 1, 2016
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Kind of a Moot point because missile ranges don’t work like that, they aren’t fixed numbers. I’m not sure why and how maximum hypothetical range under unknown conditions became an indicator for missile performance, because they tell you nearly nothing about the missiles effectiveness or performance.

Under many conditions the PL-15 won’t even go 150KM, let alone 200, in some conditions the PL-15E might even make it past 170KM. Nobody is going to engage at ranges like that anyways, what matters is how well it performs in the ranges where an engagement is most likely, say, 70-110KM. And in these ranges, I doubt PL-15E is that much of a downgrade from the Chinese domestic version.

Even an AIM120C5 could be a deadlier and more effective missile than a PL15 if it does a better job tracking and engaging in the range it does have, even if it doesn’t go as far as 200KM. A Prius can go a 1000KM in a full tank, a Ferrari can go maybe 400, but nobody is going to argue that the Prius is the better car, the range debate for missiles is honestly akin to that sometimes, I’m not saying the PL-15 is in any shape better than our old AMRAAMs, I just wish the discussion was not about pure hypothetical range and instead about actual missile performance.

There’s a good chance that PAF does in fact have tricks up its sleeves and keeps small stocks of better weaponry hidden in case it’s ever needed, and in the case of small scale skirmishes like swift retort this can be a major benefit. However in a full scale war what you have more of is what matters, a small stock of PL-15s won’t really be the deciding factor in that case, it would be the standard equipment (PL-15Es) that PAF would have in larger numbers. I’m sure PAF can manage its assets well but when in most cases you can’t pre-plan for an attack and are carrying your standard load-out instead of the very best available, you better hope your standard is up to par and not what you have back at base.

Luckily for us, smaller scale skirmishes are far more likely these days than an all out war, and PAF has a habit of coming out on top in those.​

Users who are viewing this thread