• English is the official language of this forum. Posts in other languages will receive a warning, except in threads where foreign languages are permitted.

No JF-17 B3 with PL-15 Air to Air Missile (yet)

MastanKhan

Think Tank
Dec 26, 2005
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I have read the whole magazine "second to none" recently released, but I could find any link between PL-15 and JF-17 B3. So until now we should consider that there is no PL-15 on B3. I wish I am proved wrong in future. It is an other task to integrate PL-15 on B3, JF-17 will benefit if the new version PL-12 appears.
Then the debate about PL-15 or PL-15E, in the magazine PL-15 is referred as "PL-15 BVRAAM" and "PL-15 long range BVR". There is no E subscript. Even PL-10 is quoted as "PL-10E highoff-bore IIR missile with IRSTS &HMD combination" admitting the version as PL-10E and why the PL-15 is not mentioned as PL-15E?
Hi,

Love the assessment---if it is not on the internet---it is not true---.

arslank01

Feb 5, 2022
I have read the whole magazine "second to none" recently released, but I could find any link between PL-15 and JF-17 B3. So until now we should consider that there is no PL-15 on B3. I wish I am proved wrong in future. It is an other task to integrate PL-15 on B3, JF-17 will benefit if the new version PL-12 appears.
Then the debate about PL-15 or PL-15E, in the magazine PL-15 is referred as "PL-15 BVRAAM" and "PL-15 long range BVR". There is no E subscript. Even PL-10 is quoted as "PL-10E highoff-bore IIR missile with IRSTS &HMD combination" admitting the version as PL-10E and why the PL-15 is not mentioned as PL-15E?
There is no jf17 pl15 at the moment.

The serials for the PL15's say PL15E- thats that story ended too

Hakikat ve Hikmet

Think Tank Analyst
Nov 14, 2015
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I used to get excited about getting the latest PL-15 missiles and the kinetic edge it provided but there is nothing exciting about it.

Only exciting thing is when you have an indigenous defence industry which Pakistan has nothing that can truly be respected.

You can continue buying Chinese products, soon India will have a robust defence industry producing similar weapons and that too without relying on anyone.
Good points. Hence, the Pak military industrial complex should entwine with that of the Turkish one, so that it can beat the Indian one at any moment of the day....

A good initiative is in the joint R&D in the BVR missiles regime.....

Being alone and ahmak are the same.....

MastanKhan

Think Tank
Dec 26, 2005
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I used to get excited about getting the latest PL-15 missiles and the kinetic edge it provided but there is nothing exciting about it.

Only exciting thing is when you have an indigenous defence industry which Pakistan has nothing that can truly be respected.

You can continue buying Chinese products, soon India will have a robust defence industry producing similar weapons and that too without relying on anyone.
Hi,

Sir---look at it from a tactical perspective---. Chinese supply will not stop at time of war---.

If our industrial base got destroyed---there would be no ammo available---.

That is the first thing the enemy will strike---our production facilities---.

adnanash903

Mar 1, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Hi,

Sir---look at it from a tactical perspective---. Chinese supply will not stop at time of war---.

With Chinese support we will not be able to obtain the advance version of equipment like PL-15E, SD-10A, Pl-10E, unless our own industry comes up. Even china develops PL-XX PL-21 ramjet powered missiles, those weapon will be of no use to PAF as there will Export variants. PAF will only benefit if there is indigenization.

Tank131

Oct 7, 2015
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Hi,

Love the assessment---if it is not on the internet---it is not true---.
I think a more accurate restatating is that since there is no official confirmation, picture or verification, only supposition and speculation, we cannot assume that there has been integration. Advantage for PAF is likely India doesnt even know, so they have to plan both scenarios. The other advantage is that short of Meteor, which can only really be effective with Rafale (36) the rest of the IAF (MKI, M2K, Tejas, and Mig29)is still handily outmatched by AMRAAM and SD-10A (vs Astra, MICA, and R-77).

Mar 20, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
With Chinese support we will not be able to obtain the advance version of equipment like PL-15E, SD-10A, Pl-10E, unless our own industry comes up. Even china develops PL-XX PL-21 ramjet powered missiles, those weapon will be of no use to PAF as there will Export variants. PAF will only benefit if there is indigenization.
We don't have the required competent human resources or funding to do it. Nor any real efforts to obtain those two things. So don't expect to see anything good anytime soon.

MastanKhan

Think Tank
Dec 26, 2005
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Hi,

Really---it is ok if you believe so---.

PakFactor

Elite Member
Sep 29, 2019
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Hi,

I wouldn't say Chinese supply will not stop during wartime, as when sanctions start to bite and trade restrictions are put in place, the Chinese will bend; the Russian-Ukrainian War is one such example. I've said it before and will repeat it. Some might not take it seriously: Pakistan, for all it's worth, is a dead horse for the Chinese, and it's not an ally I would want on my side if I were in Chinese shoes; the only saving grace right now is India on China's Western front, and you're a counterbalance, but that too has its limit as the Indian's will not cross a certain threshold.

The stark difference between Western habits of supporting its strategic allies (e.g., Israel) and the Chinese strategic ally North Korea was sanctioned with Chinese approval by the Security Council.

Add to this the duplicity of Pakistani strategic planners. I think the Chinese have considered this when dealing with Pakistan for the last several years and Pakistan's current economic struggle; the Chinese just kicked the can down the road but haven't offered much support.

Last edited:

MastanKhan

Think Tank
Dec 26, 2005
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I wouldn't say Chinese supply will not stop during wartime, as when sanctions start to bite and trade restrictions are put in place, the Chinese will bend; the Russian-Ukrainian War is one such example. I've said it before and will say it again, and some might not take it seriously: Pakistan, for all it's worth, is a dead horse for the Chinese, and it's not an ally I would want on my side.
Hi,

You talk from your ---- of experience ---.

It is only the pakistanis that are not conscious about their flanks---chinese know very well what would happen---.

Last edited:

PakFactor

Elite Member
Sep 29, 2019
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Hi,

You talk from your experience and I talk from mine---. As israel to the US---pakistan is to china---.

I was editing my post while you responded, and there has been a stark difference in treatment between both sides. As for the current trust deficit of the Chinese, you can blame Bajwa's antics. He didn't help the situation.

As for Israel, they can force and bend the U.S., but the same can't be said of Pakistan. So, the relationship isn't the same. I also wouldn't be proud of being called someone's Israel, either.

MastanKhan

Think Tank
Dec 26, 2005
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I was editing my post while you responded, and there has been a stark difference in treatment between both sides. As for the current trust deficit of the Chinese, you can blame Bajwa's antics. He didn't help the situation.

As for Israel, they can force and bend the U.S., but the same can't be said of Pakistan. So, the relationship isn't the same. I also wouldn't be proud of being called someone's Israel, either.
Hi,

It is a very important relationship---.

Regardless of what you think---it is the ultimate in relationships---something that one can cherish about for generations to come---.

A relation build on blood and guts and gore and dead bodies same goals all in the name of God---.

Those who take it lightly---will be decimated like never before---.

Oct 29, 2020
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Are you talking about our Astra missile? It's being delivered now and will be the main BVRAAM for all our fighter jets. Also, the old Russian radar seeker on the Astra has been swapped for a new one designed in India by the DRDO's Research Center Imarat in Hyderabad.
View attachment 37494
This is not Astra shitra thread and don't derail the thread, you're reported to be off topic

vkdindian

Jan 6, 2021
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Since Paksiatn has developed many capabilities w.r.t JF series, why is PL-15 trial being done by CAC? More so because, PL-15 must be available and integrated with J10 with PAF.

krash

RETIRED MOD
Jul 28, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Since Paksiatn has developed many capabilities w.r.t JF series, why is PL-15 trial being done by CAC? More so because, PL-15 must be available and integrated with J10 with PAF.

Because the Chinese produce the PL-15............?

Jokes aside, I got what you said. It's been 21 years of this but if you still need it then no worries; It's because Pakistan holds no rights to the aircraft....except to drop bombs from it on Indian locations. Unfortunately, the bombs forget that and merrily go on exploding. Fortunately, the Indian soldiers can't get hurt from them since the aircraft is Chinese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest