The SC

INT'L MOD
Feb 13, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
THAAD Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense

1715844956526.jpeg

THAAD Anti-Missile Interceptors for Saudi Arabia

The THAAD terminal high-altitude area defence missile system is an easily transportable defensive weapon system to protect against hostile incoming threats such as tactical and theater ballistic missiles at ranges of 200km and at altitudes up to 150km.

The THAAD system provides the upper tier of a 'layered defensive shield' to protect high value strategic or tactical sites such as airfields or populations centres. The THAAD missile intercepts exo-atmospheric and endo-atmospheric threats.

The sites would also be protected with lower and medium-tier defensive shield systems such as the Patriot PAC-3 which intercepts hostile incoming missiles at 20 to 100 times lower altitudes.

THAAD missile battery
The THAAD battery typically operates nine launch vehicles each carrying eight missiles, with two mobile tactical operations centres (TOCs) and a ground-based radar (GBR).

1715844818969.png

THAAD missile information
The target object data and the predicted intercept point are downloaded to the missile prior to launch. The updated target and intercept data are also transmitted to the missile in flight.

The missile is 6.17m in length and is equipped with a single stage solid fuel rocket motor with thrust vectoring. The rocket motor is supplied by Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne. The launch weight is 900kg.

"The THAAD (theatre high-altitude area defence) missile system is an easily transportable defensive weapon."
A separation motor is installed at the interstage at the forward end of the booster section. The separation motor assists in the separation of the kinetic kill vehicle (KKV) and the spent boost motor.

The shroud separates from the KV before impact. The KV is equipped with a liquid-fuelled divert and attitude control system (DACS), developed by Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, for the terminal maneuvering towards the target intercept point.

A gimbal-mounted infrared seeker module in the nose section provides terminal homing to close in on the target missile in the terminal phase of approach.

During the initial fly-out phase of flight, the seeker window is covered with a two-piece clamshell protection shroud. Metal bladders installed in the shroud are inflated to eject the protective shroud before the seeker initiates target acquisition. The infrared seeker head, developed by BAe Systems, is an indium antimonide (InSb) staring focal plane array operating in the mid infrared 3 to 5 micron wavelength band.

M1075 truck-mounted launcher
There are nine M1075 truck mounted launchers in a typical THAAD battery. Launch vehicle is a modified Oshkosh Truck Corporation heavy expanded mobility tactical truck with load-handling system (HEMTT-LHS). The 12m-long by 3.25m-wide launch vehicle carries ten missile launch containers. While on the launcher, lead acid batteries provide the primary power. The batteries are recharged with a low-noise generator.

After firing, reloading the launch vehicle takes 30 minutes.

Ground-based radar
The cueing for the THAAD system is provided by the Raytheon Systems AN/TPY-2 ground-based radar (GBR) for surveillance, threat classification and threat identification. THAAD can also be cued by military surveillance satellites such as Brilliant Eyes.

1715844730850.jpeg

The ground based radar units are C-130 air transportable. The AN/TPY-2 radar uses a 9.2m² aperture full field of view antenna phased array operating at I and J bands (X band) and containing 25,344 solid-state microwave transmit and receive modules. The radar has the capability to acquire missile threats at ranges up to 1,000km.

The first production radar is being tested at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. In September 2004, the THAAD radar tracked a tactical ballistic missile, cueing a successful intercept by a Patriot PAC-3 missile. A second radar was delivered to White Sands in June 2007.

Tactical operations centre
Each THAAD battery has two tactical operations centres (TOC). The TOC has been developed by Northrop Grumman, formerly Litton Data Systems Division. The TOC accommodates two operator stations and is equipped with three Hewlett-Packard HP-735 data processors.

"The THAAD missile uses kinetic energy, hit-to-kill technology."

Mobile BMC3I units
The THAAD system is able to 'hand over' targets to other defence systems and can cue the targets to other weapons. THAAD is able to interface to other US or allied air defence data information networks and to the battle management and command control and communications centre.

Northrop Grumman has been contracted to develop the THAAD BMC3I. The battle management and command, control, computers and intelligence (BMC3I) units are installed in hardened shelters mounted on high-mobility multi-wheeled vehicles (HMMWVs).

The THAAD communications system can use JTIDS, mobile subscriber equipment, SINCGARS and the joint tactical terminal for voice and data communications and for intelligence data transfer.

The SC

INT'L MOD
Feb 13, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Saudi Arabia launches Exercise Red Wave 7 at King Faisal Naval Base

Conclusion of the joint naval training activities (Red Wave-7) in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

The SC

INT'L MOD
Feb 13, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The huge billion-dollar deal, F-15 EX , against the Rafale and Typhoon, the next Saudi Arabia contract in the year 2025.

The SC

INT'L MOD
Feb 13, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The variety of missiles that K239 can fire is actually amazing..

1716173878742.jpeg

The SC

INT'L MOD
Feb 13, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Is the Saudi Arabia going to buy additional M-SAM-II or even L-SAM?And it appears that the Malaysia also one step closer to buying M-SAM-II.Reportedly the Saudi government officials visited Korea again to inspect the Hanwha Systems and LIG Nex1 which were directly related to L-SAM-I and M-SAM-II.According to following news, Saudi willing to acquire more M-SAM-II anti air and missile interceptor system.And as I posted many times, Saudi continues to be deeply interested in buying L-SAM-I(or II).Meanwhile, LIG Nex1 has participated in DSA 2024 defense exhibition which is held in Malaysia to display M-SAM-II and SAAM and other superior missile systems.Currently, Romania and Malaysia is considering purchasing M-SAM-II.And UAE, Saudi already bought the M-SAM-II massively.Export version of the M-SAM-II is equipped with special individual MFR radar system unlike Korea have.More details about missiles are below.

1716174269273.jpeg

The SC

INT'L MOD
Feb 13, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
1716992805709.jpeg

The Financial Times reported, The United States has signaled to Saudi Arabia that it is willing to lift restrictions on the sale of weapons defined as “offensive,” including the F-35 fifth-generation fighter jet, according to military observers. as part of its efforts to restore warmth to relations with the Kingdom and enhance security cooperation in the region.

1716993720685.jpeg

The United States is expected to lift restrictions on the sale of “offensive” weapons to Saudi Arabia in the coming weeks, according to senior officials in Washington familiar with the matter.

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken recently confirmed that the two countries are close to concluding agreements in the fields of nuclear energy and security and defense cooperation.

The SC

INT'L MOD
Feb 13, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The Saudi armed forces are also looking to acquire the Chinese-made HQ-17AE air defense system, an upgraded version of the Russian “TOR” system, along with drones and other advanced munitions from China, indicating a closer defense relationship between Riyadh and Beijing.

1716994671683.jpeg

Designed for export, the HQ-17AE is developed by the Second Academy of Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation of China (CASIC), and has a series of high performance standards and integrates many advanced technologies.

The system is capable of high-performance interception of targets and resistance to intense attack, with all functions integrated into a single wheeled vehicle for off-road mobility, the state-owned Global Times reported, citing CASIC.

The most prominent features of the system are:

• Adaptability: The HQ-17AE system can adapt to complex electromagnetic environments on the battlefield.

• Advanced technologies: It uses advanced technologies such as a fully solid-state phased array radar and a vertical missile launch system.

• Interception capability: The system can intercept intensive attacks within just one vehicle.

• Flexibility of movement: The vehicle can launch missiles while moving.

• Communicate with other vehicles: The system can communicate with other vehicles through the Internet during combat.

The HQ-17A is intended to provide short-range air defense against precision-guided munitions – such as cruise missiles, guided bombs and air-to-surface missiles – as well as against conventional targets such as aircraft, helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).

This system plays an important role in providing air cover for mechanized forces and protecting vital military installations.

GoMig-21

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2016
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The United States has signaled to Saudi Arabia that it is willing to lift restrictions on the sale of weapons defined as “offensive,” including the F-35 fifth-generation fighter jet, according to military observers.

I always try to explain to my PDF brothers who constantly throw such things at us about how we have F-16s without AMRAAMs and Rafales without Meteors and their point is really to shame. What they don't realize (or maybe they do they're just playing dumb to suit their argument or hatred) is that there is a reason those weapons are banned from us and they seem to ignore that and especially the "why". It's because they're considered "offensive" weapons, duuuhhh. And who do they need to protect from the terribly bad and dangerously unpredictable Arab Muslims who are hellbent on destroying the zionist entity? The entity itself, duuuhhh. When that's not the case for the need to supply & have those "offensive" weapons. The need to possess those offensive weapons is because everyone knows, the best defense is a good offense. Simple as that.

If I was making the decision, I would choose the bottom one of those three, the C. Because of its larger wings and simply its design-to-mission role. The larger wings make it a much better performer at slower speeds and just gives it better lift and a higher AoA making it a better performer than the B and certainly the A.

The B has too many parts for STOVL application that its maintenance is ridiculously intensive and costly so that's out the door. The A is a lesser capable version than the C IMO so must go with the C.

The only problem would be that they'd have to pay a little more to have all the unnecessarily naval-specific items removed since those won't be needed. The beefier landing gears and arrestor hook are fine, nothing needs to be changed for that. But the other things that are specific to carrier-ops besides those two wouldn't be needed so they'd have to build them from scratch under that condition.

RSAF will be an even bigger beast behemoth than it already is loooool friggin awesome.

Better yet.

1716996076916.png

BTW, I'm surprised this pic of a Saudi Eurofighter Typhoon I posted on the EAF thread is not getting a lot more traffic on the Internet. This is huge in my opinion that Saudiya now officially has the best air-to-air missile in any inventory.

1716996565908.png

1716996598182.png

1716996630896.png

1716996668587.png

SC, do you know of any other pictures of RSAF Typhoon carrying the Meteor? That is the only one?

The SC

INT'L MOD
Feb 13, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I always try to explain to my PDF brothers who constantly throw such things at us about how we have F-16s without AMRAAMs and Rafales without Meteors and their point is really to shame. What they don't realize (or maybe they do they're just playing dumb to suit their argument or hatred) is that there is a reason those weapons are banned from us and they seem to ignore that and especially the "why". It's because they're considered "offensive" weapons, duuuhhh. And who do they need to protect from the terribly bad and dangerously unpredictable Arab Muslims who are hellbent on destroying the zionist entity? The entity itself, duuuhhh. When that's not the case for the need to supply & have those "offensive" weapons. The need to possess those offensive weapons is because everyone knows, the best defense is a good offense. Simple as that.

If I was making the decision, I would choose the bottom one of those three, the C. Because of its larger wings and simply its design-to-mission role. The larger wings make it a much better performer at slower speeds and just gives it better lift and a higher AoA making it a better performer than the B and certainly the A.

The B has too many parts for STOVL application that its maintenance is ridiculously intensive and costly so that's out the door. The A is a lesser capable version than the C IMO so must go with the C.

The only problem would be that they'd have to pay a little more to have all the unnecessarily naval-specific items removed since those won't be needed. The beefier landing gears and arrestor hook are fine, nothing needs to be changed for that. But the other things that are specific to carrier-ops besides those two wouldn't be needed so they'd have to build them from scratch under that condition.

RSAF will be an even bigger beast behemoth than it already is loooool friggin awesome.

Better yet.

View attachment 44086

BTW, I'm surprised this pic of a Saudi Eurofighter Typhoon I posted on the EAF thread is not getting a lot more traffic on the Internet. This is huge in my opinion that Saudiya now officially has the best air-to-air missile in any inventory.

View attachment 44088
View attachment 44089
View attachment 44090
View attachment 44091

SC, do you know of any other pictures of RSAF Typhoon carrying the Meteor? That is the only one?
1717644460261.jpeg

1717644507909.jpeg

The SC

INT'L MOD
Feb 13, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Stages that preceded the inauguration of the National Defense University... Secrets of the most important place for the Saudi army

Users who are viewing this thread