USA: The Decaying Empire

TruthSeeker

Nov 26, 2008
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
As an American born at the end of WWII and raised by two parents to be a Boy Scout, go to a Methodist Church every Sunday and study physics, I see the culture of the USA as changing in ways that I believe are harbingers of "decline". Led by the Democratic Party, the USA is engaged in an experiment to see if group-defined multi-culturism can be more successful than a melting pot defined by assililation into a culture which most prizes the individual, both in achievements and in responsibilities. I won't live long enough to see the result. But, I do believe that how the USA goes over the next 100 years, so will go human culture. If the USA fails in its cultural experiments to actually improve human lives, then I don't think there are any other "experiments" in the world going on that will pick up the slack.

Good luck to all you young whippersnappers...

VCheng

RETIRED MOD
Sep 19, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I see the culture of the USA as changing in ways that I believe are harbingers of "decline".

Isn't that what every generation has fretted about, for the following generation? You must have seen Woodstock, the SanFran culture etc. up close, right?

TruthSeeker

Nov 26, 2008
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Isn't that what every generation has fretted about, for the following generation? You must have seen Woodstock, the SanFran culture etc. up close, right?
Yes, that's true. I was on my college campus from 1963-1967 so saw the beginnings of "our" protest against the Vietnam War. I was on my graduate school University campus from 1967 to 1971 so saw the culmination of those years of rebellion against many aspects of the prevailing culture of our parents and grandparents. So, the optimistic view of what is happening now, the wokeism et large, is that it is "similar" and will work out for the better for USA inhabitants; and will offer the rest of the world a valid example to follow. For me, I remain skeptical that this is the case and agnostic about the future benefits of group rights over individual rights. I have always believed that Dante's seven deadly sins are a good read on human nature. In today's USA political culture I see abundant greed, envy, vanity and gluttony. What I don't see is enough personal individual, introspection and responsibility.

VCheng

RETIRED MOD
Sep 19, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Yes, that's true. I was on my college campus from 1963-1967 so saw the beginnings of "our" protest against the Vietnam War. I was on my graduate school University campus from 1967 to 1971 so saw the culmination of those years of rebellion against many aspects of the prevailing culture of our parents and grandparents. So, the optimistic view of what is happening now, the wokeism et large, is that it is "similar" and will work out for the better for USA inhabitants; and will offer the rest of the world a valid example to follow. For me, I remain skeptical that this is the case and agnostic about the future benefits of group rights over individual rights. I have always believed that Dante's seven deadly sins are a good read on human nature. In today's USA political culture I see abundant greed, envy, vanity and gluttony. What I don't see is enough personal individual, introspection and responsibility.

It will all work out. Of that I am quite sure.

Developereo

Elite Member
Jul 31, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
As an American born at the end of WWII and raised by two parents to be a Boy Scout, go to a Methodist Church every Sunday and study physics, I see the culture of the USA as changing in ways that I believe are harbingers of "decline". Led by the Democratic Party, the USA is engaged in an experiment to see if group-defined multi-culturism can be more successful than a melting pot defined by assililation into a culture which most prizes the individual, both in achievements and in responsibilities. I won't live long enough to see the result. But, I do believe that how the USA goes over the next 100 years, so will go human culture. If the USA fails in its cultural experiments to actually improve human lives, then I don't think there are any other "experiments" in the world going on that will pick up the slack.

Good luck to all you young whippersnappers...

You sound like Bill Bennet and Pat Buchanan (no offence intended if you don't like them).

Also, your words reminded me of a quote from my favorite book, Foundation by Asimov.

The rotten tree-trunk, until the very moment when the storm-blast breaks it in two, has all the appearance of might it ever had. The storm-blast whistles through the branches of the Empire even now. Listen with the ears of psychohistory, and you will hear the creaking.

VCheng

RETIRED MOD
Sep 19, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
You sound like Bill Bennet and Pat Buchanan (no offence intended if you don't like them).

Also, your words reminded me of a quote from my favorite book, Foundation by Asimov.

The rotten tree-trunk, until the very moment when the storm-blast breaks it in two, has all the appearance of might it ever had. The storm-blast whistles through the branches of the Empire even now. Listen with the ears of psychohistory, and you will hear the creaking.

Since when did psychohistory apply to trees. Oh wait, an analogy? A bit overly dramatic, I would dare suggest. When were these words written, and what has transpired since then?

Developereo

Elite Member
Jul 31, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Since when did psychohistory apply to trees. Oh wait, an analogy? A bit overly dramatic, I would dare suggest. When were these words written, and what has transpired since then?

The quote is from a book of science fiction set in the very distant future. The Empire in question is the Galactic Empire, but Asimov admitted being heavily influenced by the history of the Roman Empire.

VCheng

RETIRED MOD
Sep 19, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The quote is from a book of science fiction set in the very distant future. The Empire in question is the Galactic Empire, but Asimov admitted being heavily influenced by the history of the Roman Empire.

Ah yes, fiction. :D

Davey Crockett

Dec 17, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
So the fact that he was fired summarily doesn't cast doubt on your sweeping general conclusion?
Not at all.

For one, the deviant has not been charged. Second, no one seems to be interested in who the other perp is. And three, the cesspool in Washington D.C. is so well known, many are not surprised anymore.

If two men filmed themselves having gay sex in your country's legislature, how will your country react?

TruthSeeker

Nov 26, 2008
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The Foundation series is one of my favorites also. I first read it when I was in late high school in the early '60's. I recently re-read the series for "fun". The "rotten" tree analogy is appropriate, methinks. I believe that the USA became a great nation because individual talent, effort and "luck" could be rewarded and convey economic "freedom", and fulfillment in other ways, to anyone and their family, in a near-egalitarian fashion. This was the strong heartwood of our American tree. Our meritocratic system wasn't, and is not now, perfect, but is still the best we humans have yet achieved. Our new "woke" panoply of anti-meritocratic values threatens that past successful structure with unknown weaknesses. Time will tell whether our newly woke tree can withstand a new existential storm. Probably, we in the USA will be just fine. However, those around the world hoping we are their saviors may be on their own. Perhaps that is how it should be. God helps those who help themselves...

VCheng

RETIRED MOD
Sep 19, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Not at all.

For one, the deviant has not been charged. Second, no one seems to be interested in who the other perp is. And three, the cesspool in Washington D.C. is so well known, many are not surprised anymore.

If two men filmed themselves having gay sex in your country's legislature, how will your country react?

What would you like the charge against him to be? If the other "perp" is not an employee of the Senate, what jurisdiction would you like to apply to his behavior? However, I do agree with you that DC is a cesspool.

The incident you mention did indeed happen in my country. So, what is your point here?

Joe Shearer

INT'L MOD
Apr 19, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
That's from Asimov's Foundation, that took the idea of Big Data analysis of human actions and their impact on future eventuality to a pronounced degree. This discipline, in that series of books, is shown to have advanced to the point where the scientists who had mastered this discipline were able to ensure specific future outcomes by undertaking very minor present actions. Sort of butterfly wings effects on weather, but executed to ensure a specific weather condition, rather than working out in some randomised manner.

Worth a read if you are a teenager or in your 20s.

Joe Shearer

INT'L MOD
Apr 19, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The Foundation series is one of my favorites also. I first read it when I was in late high school in the early '60's. I recently re-read the series for "fun". The "rotten" tree analogy is appropriate, methinks. I believe that the USA became a great nation because individual talent, effort and "luck" could be rewarded and convey economic "freedom", and fulfillment in other ways, to anyone and their family, in a near-egalitarian fashion. This was the strong heartwood of our American tree. Our meritocratic system wasn't, and is not now, perfect, but is still the best we humans have yet achieved. Our new "woke" panoply of anti-meritocratic values threatens that past successful structure with unknown weaknesses. Time will tell whether our newly woke tree can withstand a new existential storm. Probably, we in the USA will be just fine. However, those around the world hoping we are their saviors may be on their own. Perhaps that is how it should be. God helps those who help themselves...
I put in a like for Foundation.

As far as the rest goes, I was never fond of Ayn Rand and her philosophy of selfishness, and ultimately, meritocracy heads in that direction. There are various other motifs crowded into socio-political packages that head in that general direction, so I'd like to say, it's fine for people to believe that and practise that, but it is to be hoped that those of a contrary point of view will be left alone to contemplate, perhaps even promote that point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread