Bangladesh Socio-Political Crisis 2024

Several former army officers coming Forward with things that they couldn't say before.
Two categories - these people were there (they claim) but did not speak until it was most convenient for them to do so. How credible is that?

The families of the victims are as well. Hopefully, truth will come out in the end.
This is the second category. They were not there, but are speaking now that it is part of the surrounding impassioned narrative to speak, never mind what is spoken and why. How credible is that?

The last thing we need, is a blood feud with India.
This hurts to read.

How do you define a blood feud? What have you left for people like me, and for several million Bengalis, to feud about?

Two categories - these people were there (they claim) but did not speak until it was most convenient for them to do so. How credible is that?

This is the second category. They were not there, but are speaking now that it is part of the surrounding impassioned narrative to speak, never mind what is spoken and why. How credible is that?

I mean, if you know why I, a random guy, couldn't speak his mind in BD publicly online until it was convenient, then you could surely understand why of all people they couldn't either.

I didn't make up my mind yet, but i can't just dismiss what they are saying either. That's why I am hoping for the best.

This hurts to read.

How do you define a blood feud? What have you left for people like me, and for several million Bengalis, to feud about?

I just realized blood feud is not the right word at all. Poor choice of word ineed. Not that I was angry. Just my eng is bad. Sorry.

Hostility and resentment with the Indian state would be more accurate. Again, as I said, this is the last thing we need. And hopefully, it won't come to that.

And You are the last Indian....no, actually the last person I would want to hurt on this forum, or anywhere online.

Last edited:
I just realized blood feud is not the right word at all. Poor choice of word ineed. Not that I was angry. Just my eng is bad. Sorry.

Hostility and resentment with the Indian state would be more accurate. Again, as I said, this is the last thing we need. And hopefully, it won't come to that.

And You are the last Indian....no, actually the last person I would want to hurt on this forum, or anywhere online.
Quite clearly, you had overlooked the individuals in your audience, and I just wanted to remind you of the special cases within. No harm done, and your remark was well-understood in context.

All is good, please trust me.

PS: Blood feud between one Bengali and another is not appropriate. The term comes to mind even to our thoughts, in West Bengal, especially when we find egregious interference, and falsification of facts, and creation of wild myths about us by certain elements, so why you used it is clear, but not a blood feud between blood kin.

Let us agree that the Indian State has been selective and partial in its relations with the political segments of Bangladesh society, that it has been condescending and supercilious, that it has not given Bangladesh the respect that an independent neighbour deserves, and wholeheartedly condemn it.

As for individual events and incidents, anything that is proven is definitely worth deep analysis. Anything that remains speculative should be kept aside - not forgotten, merely kept aside - until a matter goes beyond speculation into proven fact.

My humble view of the matter.

Last edited:
When it comes to Indian interference in Bangladeshi internal affairs, why are we only restricting ourselves to that one incident of BDR massacre?

We have cases with paper trail in existence where we don't have to rely on hearsay and testimonials. We have major multi billion dollar deals with Indian companies and government, that were signed by the Hasina regime sacrificing the self interest of Bangladesh and instead served the interest of Modi's oligarchs or the Indian govt itself. The most prominent one being the deal with Adani Power. Bangladesh already paid over 400 million USD to Adani as capacity charge. And as we all know Adani is one of Modi's financiers.

And this is just one deal. There are so many others that have been signed over the last 15 years. All these will be re-examined now.

Indian govt was the sole backer of the Hasina regime and certified every single of Hasina's sham elections to legitimize Hasina govt globally, despite those being called out by literally everyone else. It was completely in Indian Government's interest to keep Hasina govt in power for gaining one sided deals like these. If this is not foreign interference, then what is?

Anyone denying Indian interference in Bangladesh is simply not being sincere.

Last edited:

So, as a supreme court justice he was involved in judicial murder of innocent people on behalf of psycho Hasina and her party. Now look at him.

When it comes to Indian interference in Bangladeshi internal affairs, why are we only restricting ourselves to that one incident of BDR massacre?

We have cases with paper trail in existence where we don't have to rely on hearsay and testimonials. We have major multi billion dollar deals with Indian companies and government, that were signed by the Hasina regime sacrificing the self interest of Bangladesh and instead served the interest of Modi's oligarchs or the Indian govt itself. The most prominent one being the deal with Adani Power. Bangladesh already paid over 400 million USD to Adani as capacity charge. And as we all know Adani is one of Modi's financiers.

And this is just one deal. There are so many others that have been signed over the last 15 years. All these will be re-examined now.

Indian govt was the sole backer of the Hasina regime and certified every single of Hasina's sham elections to legitimize Hasina govt globally, despite those being called out by literally everyone else. It was completely in Indian Government's interest to keep Hasina govt in power for gaining one sided deals like these. If this is not foreign interference, then what is?

Anyone denying Indian interference in Bangladesh is simply not being sincere.

We are looking at things myopically and not as a holistic picture. Currently BD has exclusive access to a 1.6GW coal powered power plant in India and exports 1GW of power from India at very reasonable tariff.

Land starved BD and its terrain will not allow the production of huge amounts of renewables like hydroelectric power such as on the below link, which is just a start as Nepal and Bhutan could be selling GWs of cheap and clean hydroelectric power to BD through India by the 2030s.

Wave goodbye to BD ever making it out of 3rd world status without acess to abundant and cheap power. Yes Hasina did make a start with Roopur Nuclear Power Station but the problem is the massive capital costs upfront that BD simply does not have the money to finance at this stage.

"
  1. According to the agreement, the NEA will supply 40 MW of hydroelectric power to Bangladesh through India from June 15 to November 15 each year
  2. Under the tripartite deal, Nepal will receive a tariff $0.064 per unit for selling electricity to Bangladesh"

We are looking at things myopically and not as a holistic picture. Currently BD has exclusive access to a 1.6GW coal powered power plant in India and exports 1GW of power from India at very reasonable tariff.

Land starved BD and its terrain will not allow the production of huge amounts of renewables like hydroelectric power such as on the below link, which is just a start as Nepal and Bhutan could be selling GWs of cheap and clean hydroelectric power to BD through India by the 2030s.

Wave goodbye to BD ever making it out of 3rd world status without acess to abundant and cheap power. Yes Hasina did make a start with Roopur Nuclear Power Station but the problem is the massive capital costs upfront that BD simply does not have the money to finance at this stage.

"
  1. According to the agreement, the NEA will supply 40 MW of hydroelectric power to Bangladesh through India from June 15 to November 15 each year
  2. Under the tripartite deal, Nepal will receive a tariff $0.064 per unit for selling electricity to Bangladesh"

Do you even know how significantly expensive power from Adani is?

An extract from the article I want to highlight which indicates massive corruption- "The decision to buy Adani's power also surprised everyone in the energy industry – because Bangladesh now has huge surplus power generation capacity. Right now, power plants having as much as 10,000MW capacity are sitting idle – mostly for lack of primary fuel.

With average power generation cost of Rs6.29 per unit, India has many sources from where Bangladesh could have purchased cheaper power."

As for power from Nepal, it took Hasina to sacrifice everything to get a mere 40MW. Whereas we had the hard bargaining chip to obtain transit for Bhutan and Nepal to give them access to Chittagong port and also get Hydroelectricity from Bhutan and Nepal in return for the transit facility we have been giving to India for such a long time already. A transit facility for which we significantly undercharge.

You are acting as if we are dependent on India for power production and almost everything, but in reality we are not. That kind of defeatist mentality is exactly the reason why we will never make it out of 3rd world.

Last edited:
Nothing buy best wishes for Bangladesh and hope they are safe after the latest news about floods issues

Very difficult news that the floods could have been avoided

Bangladesh Students have set a great example for all Muslim world how to handle corrupt people , remarkable story , followed the news closely in last few months

Do you even know how significantly expensive power from Adani is?

An extract from the article I want to highlight which indicates massive corruption- "The decision to buy Adani's power also surprised everyone in the energy industry – because Bangladesh now has huge surplus power generation capacity. Right now, power plants having as much as 10,000MW capacity are sitting idle – mostly for lack of primary fuel.

With average power generation cost of Rs6.29 per unit, India has many sources from where Bangladesh could have purchased cheaper power."

As for power from Nepal, it took Hasina to sacrifice everything to get a mere 40MW. Whereas we had the hard bargaining chip to obtain transit for Bhutan and Nepal to give them access to Chittagong port and also get Hydroelectricity from Bhutan and Nepal in return for the transit facility we have been giving to India for such a long time already. A transit facility for which we significantly undercharge.

You are acting as if we are dependent on India for power production and almost everything, but in reality we are not. That kind of defeatist mentality is exactly the reason why we will never make it out of 3rd world.
What's the price of Adani supplied power? What's the price of other power source, what's the price of power produced in Pakistan?

What's the price of Adani supplied power? What's the price of other power source, what's the price of power produced in Pakistan?

Please read the news report in my post. You will get your answer.

And why are you asking me about power produced in Pakistan? How is that relevant here?

**The Third and True Independence of Bengal**

The rapid changes in the situation in Bangladesh have left the world in awe. Analysts worldwide are astonished at how, in just a few days, middle-class students rose up like a storm, overthrowing one of South Asia's most powerful Prime Ministers. With this question in mind, a columnist reached out to some well-informed friends through digital waves.

When a Bangladeshi intellectual was asked where the student movement got its motivation from, he replied, "Many people don't realize that we are willing to go to the very end for our freedom because we are the heirs of the blood spilled by Siraj-ud-Daula and his companions in the fields of Plassey. Our youth are the sons of Waqar-ul-Mulk and Mohsin-ul-Mulk, in whose home the party was born that became the standard-bearer for the rights of Muslims across the subcontinent and liberated us from Hindu slavery. The brave youth of Bangladesh were destined to do the same."

A Bengali writer mentioned, "The spirits of Hussain Shaheed Suhrawardy, Maulvi Tamizuddin, Nurul Amin, and Fazlul Qadir Chowdhury have continuously questioned why we sided with India in breaking up Pakistan. This question hammered at our minds and weighed on our conscience, a burden that the youth have now lifted."

When a retired Bangladeshi civil servant was asked why the students destroyed the statues of Bangladesh's founder Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, he said, "The youth believed that we had been turned into a state of India, and Sheikh Mujib and his daughter Sheikh Hasina were responsible for this. The youth’s hammers didn’t just break the statues of Mujib and Hasina; they shattered Indian dominance."

A well-informed journalist residing in Dhaka stated that the Bengalis have achieved their third independence on August 5th. The first was in 1947 when Muhammad Ali Jinnah and Suhrawardy freed us from Hindu majority rule. In 1971, we gained freedom from General Yahya and his clique, and now, on August 5th, the students liberated the country from Indian subjugation. Mujibur Rahman had placed us in India’s lap, and his daughter had practically turned Bangladesh into an Indian colony. Ministers, generals, judges, and high officials in Bangladesh were appointed with Delhi's approval. The curriculum taught in educational institutions was prepared in India. The lava that had been simmering for decades against Indian hegemony and slavery erupted like a flood, sweeping everything away.

When I asked, "Why did such a powerful Prime Minister prove to be a wall of sand?" the response was, "The onslaught of oppression has been defeated by the outcry of patience." Abu Saeed, a student at Begum Rokeya University in Rangpur, stood tall and declared, "Shoot me, I will not back down." As soon as Abu Saeed's bloodied body hit the ground, every student in Bangladesh rose up, standing like a rock against oppression.

The Awami League’s Chhatra League had instilled such fear in educational institutions that no one could dare stand against them. The Rapid Action Battalion, responsible for Hasina’s personal security, had spread terror. The army, judiciary, and administration were her slaves and tools, but in the grand scheme of things, neither Hasina nor Modi's will prevails. Here, the power to say "Be" belongs to that magnificent entity who uses fragile sparrows to destroy armies of elephants. On July 20th, when Hasina unleashed all the forces of oppression, the students of Bangladesh wrote an incredible history of courage, perseverance, and sacrifice.

The young students, both male and female, kept falling to bullets, but no one retreated. In one day, 1,500 young people were martyred, but their blood illuminated the path for the nation. At that moment, the defiant call of their brave and fearless coordinator, Naheed Islam (son of retired teacher Badar-ul-Islam), resonated across the country: "Come out of your homes, hostels, colleges, and universities, and eliminate every symbol of slavery and oppression from your land. Swear to the souls of the martyrs that we will not return until we have achieved complete freedom for our country." When millions of students took to the streets, neither the police nor the army could stand in their way.

When asked if the students were receiving support from any foreign country, the answer was, "Their sources of strength are far more powerful than any nation. They draw courage, patience, determination, and strength from Badr, Karbala, Gaza, Plassey, and the gallows of Dhaka Jail."

A Bengali friend living in London said, "This movement isn’t just about ending the unjust quota system; it’s about reviving the Two-Nation Theory." When I asked another Bengali intellectual the same question, he said, "Our youth felt they had many debts to pay—the debt of siding with Hindu India against Muslim Pakistan in 1971, the debt of remaining silent in the face of Sheikh Hasina's brutal repression, the debt of remaining neutral over the death of a noble figure like Professor Ghulam Azam, and the debt of failing to save the lives of venerable leaders like Abdul Quader Molla, Quamrul Islam, Ali Ahsan Mujahid, Motiur Rahman Nizami, and Mir Quasem Ali, who were hanged. On August 5th, the students repaid all those debts."

The poet Iftikhar Arif came to mind:
*In our love for this land, we, the passionate ones, have repaid debts that were never even due.*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back