Bangladesh Socio-Political Crisis 2024

The stories about economic development are all a sham. It is like driving a BMW on lease but claiming you own it. The national debt has grown over 100 bn, and corruption is at an unprecedented level. Drivers, office assistants of leaders have multi million dollar net worth - all thanks to corruption.

Now you can see with inflation rising and falling forex reserves, the lies about fudged up gdp numbers are coming to light. There is not enough job compared to the size of the economy. 2+2 no longer adds up to 4. Hence you are seeing this protest.

Whatever growth there is, it's because of hardworking entrepreneurial people of Bangladesh. Even there Hasina and her goons extort and oppress the businesses. You can't go about running business without paying protection money to the BAL thugs. You go to gov offices, you have to bribe to get your shipments out or do anything literally. This level of unchecked corruption and oppressiob is unsustainable.

Those Bangladeshis who rave about gdp and economy are either BAL members themselves or are completely detached from ground reality.

It's similar to problems in Pakistan and rest of the developing nations, the elite and their pals loot everything. What Bangladesh needs is a few new political parties with a future vision for Bangladesh, a party that wants to make changes, in the electrol system to make it fair, update the governmental system, create more provinces to devolve the power, free and independent institutes, the merit system to select people so competent and hard working people climb the ladder, reforms in health, police, judiciary, tax, education etc.

This will not happen because it will harm the current status quo, so they will not allow it, will cause civil wars rather than loose their power, power is everything for them.

So the solution is for the Bangladeshi people to unite and say enough is enough, we will never vote for these old corrupt parties and start campain against them, expose them and their activities, completely bring them down on their knees, form political parties and challenge them. If 80% of the population changes then it's game over for them, someone in the military or higher up will realise this is not going to work for too long, they will then come to the negotiation table. This may not sound possible but there is no other way except a rebellion which is not suitable for anyone.

@LeonBlack08 I'm hearing Hasina has left Bd. I hope it's not true.

@LeonBlack08 I'm hearing Hasina has left Bd. I hope it's not true.
Not true. She is still there. Spain trip cancelled. It was supposed to be today.

That is not to say that if situation gets out of hand she is definitely going to get air lifted to Delhi. I have no doubt about that

Unofficial press release from a group of young officers in the army. They remain anonymous. But the authenticity of this was confirmed by journalist Zulkarnain Sami

Not true. She is still there. Spain trip cancelled. It was supposed to be today.

That is not to say that if situation gets out of hand she is definitely going to get air lifted to Delhi. I have no doubt about that

What will replace her? I was looking at Bangladeshi political parties, it's mainly 3 big parties, AML, BNP and Jatiya Party. Bangladesh needs 2 new parties, with new fresh leadership, educated, looking to make reforms, upgrade the system and institutes, work for accountability, make long term policies for development and strong Bangladesh.

At the moment if AML is toppled, it will be replaced by BNP and Jamat e Islami. So back to square one.

What will replace her? I was looking at Bangladeshi political parties, it's mainly 3 big parties, AML, BNP and Jatiya Party. Bangladesh needs 2 new parties, with new fresh leadership, educated, looking to make reforms, upgrade the system and institutes, work for accountability, make long term policies for development and strong Bangladesh.

At the moment if AML is toppled, it will be replaced by BNP and Jamat e Islami. So back to square one.

Unfortunately yes, but right now, we have to get rid of this dictator.

In short term - it will probably be a caretaker govt if BAL and Hasina is kicked out, until an election can be held.

Unfortunately yes, but right now, we have to get rid of this dictator.

In short term - it will probably be a caretaker govt if BAL and Hasina is kicked out, until an election can be held.

Bangladesh needs this anti government movement to turn in to a political organisation, then from there identity some good leadership and create a political party or 2 political parties, then people of Bangladesh will have a option to vote for in the elections. That is only if the elite/establishment allows free and fair elections, otherwise the same old parties will be back in power and i thought Hasina is famous in Bangladesh, she is after all the daughter of Mujib ur Rehman, the hero of Bangladesh. I always thought she is trying her best to make Bangladesh create as she claims to be bangali nationalist.

Question for Bangladeshi members. If Hasina and AML leave power, do you have anyone better than her to come to power, make reforms, better economy etc. So far despite the internal issues Hasina has done well for Bangladesh, your economy is growing, foreign investors are coming, she also made a neutral policy between Russia China and USA, she is definitely pro India. I can easily work put certain world powers are not happy with her, they don't want a Bangladeshi first policy but pro their own policy which means become anti Russia and China. @UKBengali
Definitely doesn’t look like this going to help their country. Seems like western nations want her gone so they can push their own agenda. Not that it would means she’s a great person or anything

Definitely doesn’t look like this going to help their country. Seems like western nations want her gone so they can push their own agenda. Not that it would means she’s a great person or anything

I thought about this when she refused to condemn Russia and mentioned her government will maintain good relations with all powerful nations, which means Usa China Russia and India. For the Usa this is not acceptable. I understand the inflation and wrong policies of the government are becoming too much for the public but will the new government make revolutionary changes to benefit the public, I highly doubt it. Most likely BNP and Jamat Islami will be back in power and they have been tried and tested.

Hasina looks the better option from the rest, she should immediately announce she will negotiate with the protesters, listen to their demands, make reforms to make a stronger and fairer state for all. One big problem Bangladesh has is they don't have a powerful opposition in parliament, a parliamentary democracy needs opposition for accountability and criticism, it's also a voice for those who are not happy.

Last edited:
At least 25 more dead on Saturday, bringing total to 138

At least 25 people were killed on Saturday in yet another day of deadly violence in Bangladesh resulting from a ferocious government crackdown on a student movement that has morphed into anti-government protests, according to a count by our contributors on the ground who spoke to hospitals across the country, and a separate count of five additional deaths by a Dhaka-based newspaper.

Social media in Bangladesh in recent months has been dominated by discussions about corruption allegations against some of Ms Hasina’s former top officials – including a former army chief, ex-police chief, senior tax officers and state recruitment officials.

Ms Hasina last week said she was taking action against corruption, and that it was a long-standing problem.

During the same press conference in Dhaka, she said she had taken action against a household assistant – or peon - after he allegedly amassed $34 million.

"He can't move without a helicopter. How has he earned so much money? I took action immediately after knowing this,"

She did not identify the individual.

The reaction of the Bangladeshi media was that this much money could only have been accumulated through lobbying for government contracts, corruption, or bribery.

The anti-corruption commission in Bangladesh has launched an investigation into former police chief Benazir Ahmed – once seen as a close ally of Ms Hasina – for amassing millions of dollars, allegedly through illegal means. He denies the allegations.

This news didn’t escape ordinary people in the country, who are struggling with the escalating cost of living.

In addition to corruption allegations, many rights activists point out that space for democratic activity has shrunk over the past 15 years.

“For three consecutive elections, there has been no credible free and fair polling process,” Meenakshi Ganguly, South Asia director at Human Rights Watch, told the BBC.

“[Ms Hasina] has perhaps underestimated the level of dissatisfaction people had about being denied the most basic democratic right to choose their own leader,” Ms Ganguly said.

Toughest unrest in decades​

Veteran journalist Harun Ur Rashid Swapan says he hasn't seen such wide and violent unrest for many decades. In his experience, no protests can compare to the scale of the ongoing quota reform protests that have seen many casualties and attacks on government properties. In one case, protesters managed to release prisoners from jail.

"I have seen a mass uprising against Ershad [military dictator in the 1990s]," Swapan told DW. "Considering the current movement's pattern and activities, I think it's a big one. The violence has reached a high level."

Students clash with riot police in Dhaka

Witnesses describe the situation as the worst in living memory
Image: Rajib Dhar/AP Photo//picture alliance

Samir Kumar Dey remembers two other protests that took place in the past decades. In 2006, when current Prime Minister Hasina was the opposition leader, her party was able to stage a powerful anti-government protest in Dhaka that led to the fall of the BNP government. And, in 2013, the hardline Islamist group Hefazat e Islam's protest at the center of Dhaka failed after security forces dispersed the protesters.

"Both protests took place in two specific areas of Dhaka," Dey told DW. "But I haven't seen a wide and violent protest like the current one before."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts

Back