Indian Air Force News & Discussions

News emerged that IAF has damaged the Rafale during the exercise. ;)

@Windjammer

It happens, if anything shows IAF are pushing these birds to their limits. Issue is numbers though, one Mid air collision like they had with SU-30 and Mirage 2000 a year back means 6-7% of the fleet gone in an instant

Makes no sense to do this. Retire them in favour of tejas?

I think it's testing systems to be later adapted on new build Tejas and Amca if they ever get these off the ground

Makes no sense to do this. Retire them in favour of tejas?

My hunch is they wont be retiring the MIG-21s and Jaguars anytime soon now as writing is on the wall for Tejas MK1A. So these birds will soldier on for another 10 years.

My hunch is they wont be retiring the MIG-21s and Jaguars anytime soon now as writing is on the wall for Tejas MK1A. So these birds will soldier on for another 10 years.

Why? Seems like they have gotten Tejas finally over the line for Mk1. Some noise on engines, but they have a viable solution, they do need to get the manufacturing line to work properly.

I cant see them walking away from Tejas in favour of keeping the jaguars/mig-21s. By every measure - current tejas mk1 is miles better than both those platforms. Tejas may not have achieved all its design goals but still better platform than most of their current fleet.

Mk1A and Mk2 maybe dead if that is what you are referring to - but Mk1 with BVR capabilities and grown attack capabilities is quite viable in my view.

Last edited:
Why? Seems like they have gotten Tejas finally over the line for Mk1. Some noise on engines, but they have a viable solution once they can get the manufacturing line to work properly.

I cant see them walking away from Tejas in favour of keeping the jaguars/mig-21s. By every measure - current tejas is miles better than both those platforms. Tejas may not have achieved all its design goals but still better platform than most of their current fleet.

Mk1A and Mk2 maybe dead - but Mk1 with BVR capabilities and grown attack capabilities is quite viable in my view.

I think realistically, if no movement on engine (and a host of other issues HAL is having with it), they may have decided to just skip 4th/4.5th Gen.

Looking increasingly like HAL will not deliver a single bird this year. So in Two years basically IAF has not received a single new aircraft. That is unprecedented in IAF history as there was always deliveries of new fighters coming in to replace the oldest ones in the fleet, since the very inception of the IAF. As every single year goes on the problem compounds in size as more and more of the fleet gets older.

Right now the requirement is to replace MIG-21/Jaguar, then in 5 years to replace Miraiges/MIG-29s, then in 10 years SU-30MKIs that are not upgraded.

See my point? The scale of he problem increases with every passing year

Why? Seems like they have gotten Tejas finally over the line for Mk1. Some noise on engines, but they have a viable solution, they do need to get the manufacturing line to work properly.

I cant see them walking away from Tejas in favour of keeping the jaguars/mig-21s. By every measure - current tejas mk1 is miles better than both those platforms. Tejas may not have achieved all its design goals but still better platform than most of their current fleet.

Mk1A and Mk2 maybe dead if that is what you are referring to - but Mk1 with BVR capabilities and grown attack capabilities is quite viable in my view.

There are only 2 squadrons of MiG-21 Bisons left with the IAF as of now.

Out of which No.23 'Panthers' has already begun the process of transferring it's Bisons to No.3 'Cobras' at Nal AFS.

No.23 squadron will transition to the Tejas Mk1A once the deliveries begin in September-October. Ground activities for transitioning the squadron have been ongoing for months now.

No.3 squadron will begin retiring it's Bisons in 2025. After that, no more MiG-21s in the IAF.

Jaguars are viable as of now, with around 60 of them receiving the DARIN 3 upgrade with the Elta 2052 AESA radars. The remaining 40-50 are at the Jaguar DARIN 2 standard and will be start retiring around 2030, to be replaced by the 97 Tejas Mk1A whose order will be placed by this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back