Iranian Air Force (IRIAF/IRGC-ASF) | News and Discussions

Considering China sought a Chinook from Taiwan and was unsuccessful, and that China has good relations with Iran, has China ever sought to procure one of Iran’s Chinooks?

Why on earth would Chine ask Iran for decades old technology?

Considering China sought a Chinook from Taiwan and was unsuccessful, and that China has good relations with Iran, has China ever sought to procure one of Iran’s Chinooks?

They would have asked for a sample way back in the 90s if they needed one

Iran’s Chinooks are from 1970s.

Taiwan are CH-47 Super D variant, Iranians are older C variant. Both are “old” helicopters (20+ years for Taiwan and half a century for Iran). Not sure what information China could get from either helicopter as neither are the latest variant.

I don’t think China is seriously trying to get their hands on chinook. Russian helicopters in heavy lift class can lift a chinook. So Russian transport and lift helicopters are good reverse engineering choice for China.

Taiwan are CH-47 Super D variant, Iranians are older C variant. Both are “old” helicopters (20+ years for Taiwan and half a century for Iran). Not sure what information China could get from either helicopter as neither are the latest variant.

I don’t think China is seriously trying to get their hands on chinook. Russian helicopters in heavy lift class can lift a chinook. So Russian transport and lift helicopters are good reverse engineering choice for China.
Mi-26 could be a nice buy for Iran, but same problem as CH, old platform and new variants are barely being produced

Otherwise for heavy lift i don't know which one China uses or produce for export

The civilian department also needs them in case of natural distater

Why on earth would Chine ask Iran for decades old technology?
Like I said, China wants a Chinook, allegedly. Iran has them. China can improve upon the design with what has been developed for helicopters like the Z-20 and AC-313A. China needs larger transports for its LHDs and the ability to carry heavier loads in the Himalayas.

Chinook is compact, and a design well suited for use on an LHD. The larger Russian helicopters (in the same category) are too big for a LHD.

The chinook is old, but China has a 5000 kw turboshaft helicopter engine ready to go; if they want to make their capabilities more robust vis a vi Taiwan and India, a chinook is still a very capable design, especially to lift artillery, ammo, and other supplies along with troops to strategic positions in a hurry.

The CH-53 also uses an engine in the approx. 5000kw range (more powerful even for newer models). So both designs could be possible, but a Chinese version of the Chinook could win out, as China is probably well aware that the says Marine corp itself has chosen to go with Chinooks over its CH-53.

Like I said, China wants a Chinook, allegedly. Iran has them. China can improve upon the design with what has been developed for helicopters like the Z-20 and AC-313A. China needs larger transports for its LHDs and the ability to carry heavier loads in the Himalayas.
That allegation on principle is false. There is nothing in that chopper that a country like China (got J20s?) would want.

Makes sense, China doesn't have a tandem rotor helicopter
It’s also not like China hasn’t tested the Chinook back in the 80s when they had a better relationship with the US vis a vi arms.

They seem like they were interested then, it could have been that the 1989 arms embargo was what kept them from procuring the Chinooks directly themselves.

Btw, this was fora civilian purpose back then; “China Airlines”

IMG_6165.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s also not like China hasn’t tested the Chinook back in the 80s when they had a better relationship with the US vis a vi arms.

They seem like they were interested then, it could have been that the 1989 arms embargo was what kept them from procuring the Chinooks directly themselves.

View attachment 28863
Thanks I didn't know this.

Anyway there's no reason Iran shouldn't sell China a couple of their Chinooks to be reverse engineered. The question is what they will ask in return

Thanks I didn't know this.

Anyway there's no reason Iran shouldn't sell China a couple of their Chinooks to be reverse engineered. The question is what they will ask in return

IMHO, they could reasonably ask for and expect an upgrade package for some of their helicopter fleet, as selling new equipment might be an issue with some international agreements China maybe a part in. Upgrades Iran pays for, of course.

New engines, new munitions, new sensors, new comms.

Iran could be the guinea pig to test out the upgrades and provide China with useful data, so it’s a win win opportunity for both nations.

Last edited:
IMHO, they could reasonably ask for and expect an upgrade package for some of their helicopter fleet, as selling new equipment might be an issue with some international agreements China maybe a part in. Upgrades Iran pays for, of course.

New engines, new munitions, new sensors, new comms.

Iran could be the guinea pig to test out the upgrades and provide China with useful data, so it’s a win win opportunity for both nations.

That would be my guess too but I've been following developments in Iran for many many years and they seldom act so rationally.

the ukrainian war was a golden opportunity for Iran but they barely capitalized on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Iranian chinook is already a very versatile aircraft. It is in need up just an engine and avionics upgrade as well as improvements to its rotors to be able to do what modern chinooks can do.

The upgrades aren’t has dramatically different then one would think.

The Iranian chinook is already a very versatile aircraft. It is in need up just an engine and avionics upgrade as well as improvements to its rotors to be able to do what modern chinooks can do.

The upgrades aren’t has dramatically different then one would think.

But if China wanted one for study and reversing, they would have asked for a sample way back into the 90s and would already had a production of a Z-53 helicopter in mass

But if China wanted one for study and reversing, they would have asked for a sample way back into the 90s and would already had a production of a Z-53 helicopter in mass
Maybe at the time they didn’t think they needed it or that they didn’t have an engine ready to make use of the reverse engineering.

I’m just going based on the allegation that $16 million was offered to a Taiwanese pilot to defect with a Chinook.

Something may have changed and the Chinook may be in the process of being reconsidered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back