Iranian Air Force (IRIAF/IRGC-ASF) | News and Discussions

And those are fair points. My point was addressing @Ali_Baba 's post where he said this:

Not sure if the full-fat versions of the Su-35 will turn up or not, but i hope they do, it is quite evident that Iran does need to recapitalise her airforce and the Su-35 while not as good as the latest F16s or anything newer, are the best that Iran can get. This will allow Iran to conduct operations over Iraq/Syria that work against Iranian interests, given the range the Su-35 can offer for combat operations.

If the hypothetical scenario is the Su-35Ss vs "the latest F16s or anything newer", period. Not even the export Su-35S which he made clear that he wasn't sure which Iran would get so that would mean only the latest F-16s vs the current Su-35S.

So I simply used the F-16V which is why I mentioned the APG/83 AESA in the Viper vs the IRBIS-E PLUS its combined AESA L-band arrays on its leading-edge wings. People forget that is one of the MAJOR features of the Su-35S. But like all the usual anti-Russian bias, that gets ignored and slipped aside for the simple sake of winning an argument or whatever the reason may be.

Then I listed a few of the other major comparisons I could think of that are all well-known - single engine vs dual engine. TVC vs fixed nozzle. AIM-120D (not C-5, not C-7/8 but D) vs R-77-1 and AIM-260 vs R-37M. Radar ranges. Fuel capacity and even EW pods. And if sources are needed, then fine, no problemo there I can easily supply them but instead, I get silly replies like the ones you read. Stuff about the US simply being a leading industrial giant that spends 3 times what others do and just childish stuff. Nothing of worthy substance whatsoever.

To dismiss the Su-35S in such a manner is not only silly, but also indicative of a severe bias AND lack of understanding and basic familiarity of the many systems that make each fighter what it is. And to say that the F-16V would run circles around the Su-35S is beyond hallucinations and borderline wet dreams. :)

Fair points.

Why do you think the SU-35 like the rest of the Russian Air Force have failed to make a major impact in the Ukrainian war?

Hope when Iran receives the first basket of sukhois S-35 customizes all the air plane... Iran cannot trust russian rulette.

Iran must use their incredible skills of reverse engineering and break the sukhois in order to gain know how in engines and whatever of interests.

Iran needs to create beskope warplanes for its military, jump to six geration frameworks and technologies. Iran can,others not, Iran can. Iran must waste all cents in this.

Fair points.

Why do you think the SU-35 like the rest of the Russian Air Force have failed to make a major impact in the Ukrainian war?

Couple of reasons but mainly the SAM threat. Russians didn't take the threat seriously and they're not well-known to have an SEAD mission doctrine like the US for example. The US essentially invented SEAD tactics in Vietnam and created an entire doctrine in the Wild Weasels program which is dedicated strictly to suppression of enemy air defenses and then created mission-specific aircraft strictly for that role, specifically the EA-6B Prowler which was the US Navy's dedicated SEAD platform derived from the A-6 Intruder. It has since evolved to what's now known today as the EA-18G Growler. The Prowler -- and now Growler -- are both twin seat operated aircraft where the duties are shared between both pilots which is important in this scenario.

So the US took enemy SAM threats and the need for dedicated SEAD missions very seriously and created an entire program, force, training & aircraft just to deal with that threat aspect.

What the Russians did in Ukraine was take what they had designed as an air-superiority aircraft in the Su-35S, loaded with KH-31P which is what the Russians use as an anti-radiation missile (compared to the AGM-88 HARM the Growler uses) and tasked it for SEAD missions over Ukraine.

Problem is, the Su-35S -- despite its upgrades to fully automated systems compared to the Su-30MK and all derivatives except the Su-30SM -- is still a single seat aircraft, which doesn't make it the ideal SEAD platform compared to dedicated ones with a pilot and WSO. That was one of their issues in Ukraine.

The Su-34 is much more in line with SEAD but then comes the other issues. Russian pilots get an average of a little under 100 hrs. training a year, compared to US pilots who average around 200-250 hrs. per year and also conduct MAJOR exercises such as Red Flag for the USAF and Top Gun for the Navy. That's a huge difference.

So Russian pilots don't get enough training to begin with, let alone in specific SEAD missions, don't really have enough experience in SEAD missions and are given an air superiority aircraft designed for the workload of only one pilot making it that much more vulnerable to the exact threat it was attempting to neutralize.

That's pretty much why it failed to make a major impact in the Ukraine. But it has excelled in A2A missions and we shall see how it fairs against the F-16 soon enough, even though the Falcons being given to the Ukraine won't be the latest & greatest, it'll still give us some indication as to the Russian vs Western aerial capabilities.

Unfourtunately Iran air force is a disgrace.

Iran must take serious action on this, with Russia or not Russia on board. Iran must not wait for Russia, it s suicide.

I hate so much to see this old jets in Iran posession. Something must be done urgently. This must be a national priority.

And those are fair points. My point was addressing @Ali_Baba 's post where he said this:

Not sure if the full-fat versions of the Su-35 will turn up or not, but i hope they do, it is quite evident that Iran does need to recapitalise her airforce and the Su-35 while not as good as the latest F16s or anything newer, are the best that Iran can get. This will allow Iran to conduct operations over Iraq/Syria that work against Iranian interests, given the range the Su-35 can offer for combat operations.

If the hypothetical scenario is the Su-35Ss vs "the latest F16s or anything newer", period. Not even the export Su-35S which he made clear that he wasn't sure which Iran would get so that would mean only the latest F-16s vs the current Su-35S.

So I simply used the F-16V which is why I mentioned the APG/83 AESA in the Viper vs the IRBIS-E PLUS its combined AESA L-band arrays on its leading-edge wings. People forget that is one of the MAJOR features of the Su-35S. But like all the usual anti-Russian bias, that gets ignored and slipped aside for the simple sake of winning an argument or whatever the reason may be.

Then I listed a few of the other major comparisons I could think of that are all well-known - single engine vs dual engine. TVC vs fixed nozzle. AIM-120D (not C-5, not C-7/8 but D) vs R-77-1 and AIM-260 vs R-37M. Radar ranges. Fuel capacity and even EW pods. And if sources are needed, then fine, no problemo there I can easily supply them but instead, I get silly replies like the ones you read. Stuff about the US simply being a leading industrial giant that spends 3 times what others do and just childish stuff. Nothing of worthy substance whatsoever.

To dismiss the Su-35S in such a manner is not only silly, but also indicative of a severe bias AND lack of understanding and basic familiarity of the many systems that make each fighter what it is. And to say that the F-16V would run circles around the Su-35S is beyond hallucinations and borderline wet dreams. :)
I think the purpose of the L-band arrays in the Su-35 wing leading edge is not well defined/agreed upon. I've heard some argue that it could be for IFF purposes though I know the Irbis also has its own IFF capabilities. So I'm not sure.

One thing about IBRIS-E that you must consider is that 400km range is only when the radar search a field of 10 degree by 10 degree , in real scenario when the radar is in search mode the range shrink to around 200km

I'm sorry but this article is trash and written by someone who obviously has an agenda

The flight performance of the SU-35 in China has been well received by pilots. Unfortunately, poor electronic equipment and radar have made China no longer interested in purchasing subsequent batches after buying the first batch of 24 in 2015.

The flight performance of the SU-35 in China has been well received by pilots. Unfortunately, poor electronic equipment and radar have made China no longer interested in purchasing subsequent batches after buying the first batch of 24 in 2015.

Avionics has aleays been the weakspot of russian systms and i personally believe India has overtaken them in this space already ...

I'm sorry but this article is trash and written by someone who obviously has an agenda
then find an article which answer the author claims
with evidence

I think the purpose of the L-band arrays in the Su-35 wing leading edge is not well defined/agreed upon. I've heard some argue that it could be for IFF purposes though I know the Irbis also has its own IFF capabilities. So I'm not sure.
by what i heard the electric warfare and jamming enemy radars for su-35 come from this AESA radar not Ibris-e

Avionics has aleays been the weakspot of russian systms and i personally believe India has overtaken them in this space already ...
but they are still waiting for Russia to upgrade their su-30 radars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back