PAF Future Acquisition Plans

Apply your common sense.

It helps the forum to have a clear demarcation of acceptable/unacceptable posts re: the army junta. If not, moderators will be tempted to impose their ideological will on others and delete posts they disagree with.

That’s common sense!

It helps the forum to have a clear demarcation of acceptable/unacceptable posts re: the army junta. If not, moderators will be tempted to impose their ideological will on others and delete posts they disagree with.

That’s common sense!
Here are some guidelines:

1. No abuse
2. No abuse
3. Stick to the topic;

Critique the system - in this case relating to procurement for the PAF and not whether the current chief or politics or decisions forty years ago by Zia or the quality of KFC in Pakistan

1. No abuse
2. No abuse
3. Stick to the topic;

Critique the system - in this case relating to procurement for the PAF and not whether the current chief or politics or decisions forty years ago by Zia or the quality of KFC in Pakistan
Speaking of KFC, Zia, and suicide chickens... I genuinely think the PAF will induct an attritable loyal wingman UCAV relatively soon. In the video, they made a clear reference to manned-unmanned teaming, for example. It won't be a stealthy flying-wing UCAV, but in the next 2-3 years, we could see something like the Turkish Super Simsek:

1706632852411.png

In fact, the Baykar-NASTP KaGeM V3 may be that project, or a starting point (along with the enlarged Hadaf target drone) towards such a system. This would be an evolution of loitering munitions, albeit with more operational capability (e.g., jamming decoy).

1706633428375.png

1. No abuse
2. No abuse
3. Stick to the topic;

Fair enough.

@Deino You laughing at my post indicates your disagreement. Is the J-31's internal bay large enough to make it a suitable strike fighter?

Sorry, it was not meant as an offence but the J-35's weapons bay has the same size (most likely based on what is known) as the J-20's bay and concerning Kaan, as a potential future striker, I still don't see it operational and even if, also not in PAF service.

Sorry, it was not meant as an offence but the J-35's weapons bay has the same size (most likely based on what is known) as the J-20's bay and concerning Kaan, as a potential future striker, I still don't see it operational and even if, also not in PAF service.
If this is true then would PLAAF even bother with an aircraft like J-31? Why go for a fighter that provides you with nothing that the J-20 already doesn't provide? And if PLAAF doesn't go for the J-31, this aircraft won't be able to take advantage of the economies of scale; consequently, making it unattractive to PAF.

Interesting development. Pakistan should do a Joint Venture with China for a 5th generation fighter.

If this is true then would PLAAF even bother with an aircraft like J-31? Why go for a fighter that provides you with nothing that the J-20 already doesn't provide? And if PLAAF doesn't go for the J-31, this aircraft won't be able to take advantage of the economies of scale; consequently, making it unattractive to PAF.

Don't you think it is a bit arrogant? The J-31 if it ever materialises is the best option Pakistan will have and you portray it as if it is "useless"?

The fact that the PLAAF is not (as it seems) procuring this type is indeed compelling but has an easy explanation, they have different assets and why going for a smaller, less capable fighter for the PLAAF if more J-20 and later J-20A are the better option? The J-35 is a naval type... and again, for Pakistan the best it could get since the J-20 is not for sale and Kaan IMO more a huge questionmark on almost everything as long it has no indigenous engines to replace the too weak F110 engines.

Don't you think it is a bit arrogant? The J-31 if it ever materialises is the best option Pakistan will have and you portray it as if it is "useless"?

The fact that the PLAAF is not (as it seems) procuring this type is indeed compelling but has an easy explanation, they have different assets and why going for a smaller, less capable fighter for the PLAAF if more J-20 and later J-20A are the better option? The J-35 is a naval type... and again, for Pakistan the best it could get since the J-20 is not for sale and Kaan IMO more a huge questionmark on almost everything as long it has no indigenous engines to replace the too weak F110 engines.
I neither used the word useless nor did I imply this craft being useless in any way. It will of course be a fantastic option for Pakistan but if the PLAAF refuses to buy it, it won't get mass-produced; consequently, making it too expensive for PAF. We have yet to see how similar or different the J-35 and J-31 will be so I will refrain from mentioning J-35. From my perspective, things look grim for PAF's 5th-generation fighter procurement ambitions.

Even if PLAAF does not purchase it, there is economy of scale from parts commonality with J-35. F-35A has about 70-80% parts commonality with F-35C for example.

Even if PLAAF does not purchase it, there is economy of scale from parts commonality with J-35. F-35A has about 70-80% parts commonality with F-35C for example.
I hope the J-35 will have at least 80% parts commonality with the J-31.

In case there is technology transfer or Pakistani engineers learn something from it then this is a good investment in the long run. Otherwise, even if it's cheap, it's just a waste
The Chinese are too stingy when it comes to sharing state-of-the-art technology even with key allies like Pakistan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back