• English is the official language of this forum. Posts in other languages will receive a warning, except in threads where foreign languages are permitted.

Indian Light Tank Zorawar Breaks Cover

Dec 25, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Drones seem to have completely turned tanks into a vulnerable piece of expensive tech with not much of usage.
A few years from now , when anti drone tech becomes mature , you'll be thinking otherwise when dedicated anti drone columns will accompany armoured formations to fight off the threat of drones. Tanks have always been vulnerable, they were vulnerable to airpower, they were vulnerable to ATGMs and now they are vulnerable to drones , but just like everything else , we'll find a way to keep tanks relevant.
How is one going to defend such tanks against very small drones, that can’t be shot down by AD systems?
There are many ways , Anti drone tech is still in its early phases. Electronic warfare , Laser based
systems , self propelled AA guns equipped with modern FCRs and Electro optical tracking systems, flak rounds burst into tiny pieces thereby creating a cloud of metallic debris over a fairly large area which can disrupt a drone or a swarm of drones, these are some ways I can think of but nevertheless the Military Industrial complex is spending tons of money into R&D for effective anti drone solutions.
Can tanks contribute to a war effort or become a liability?
They'll evolve just like everything else.
Look at footage of tanks being destroyed by cheap drones and I wonder, how can they turned this around and once again prove their worth?
Much of it is propragnda by both sides.
It may be a good idea to convert Tank regiments into drone regiments with much higher versatility and results in a war. May not happen now because of our love of tanks and the perceived power they have, but, their time may have ended.
Raising a seperate anti drone unit to accompany tanks is a better solution.

vsdoc

Elite Member
Jul 8, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Zorawar Singh is the Dogra general who was also called the "Conqueror of Ladakh". He served for the Dogra king, Gulab Singh. Zorawar Singh captured Ladakh, some parts of Tibet, Gilgit, Baltistan and Skardu for the Dogras.

Zorawar Singh- Wiki

The tank is named after him, since it has been designed primarily for fighting in high altitude areas with it's 25 ton + 10% max weight and high angle of elevation 105 mm main gun.

Finally I got the weight. Thanks! 👍

MirageBlue

Feb 20, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
No. I said my opinion and you guys went nuts.

You can shove your worthless uneducated opinion where the sun don't shine.

Beauty contests for tanks it seems. As I said, it's no wonder the Turks are all over you incapable guys. War breaks out they'll be self sufficient in many areas..you'll be running for help from NATO and USA. Lazy asses.

Broghil

May 20, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
M

A fighter jet can destroy a drone with impunity using its gun. A drone is powerless against a fighter jet, but the jet can easily shoot down any number of drones with its gun.
Or balloons. :rolleyes: :oops:

Lulldapull

Oct 21, 2006
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I don't think the Iranis traditionally historically have ever been interested in your country beyond the Indus. Till that point, I dont think you have a say. They will always be there, pulling the strings. The outposts of their empire.

Another thing the Ukraine Russia war has made glaringly evident is that you can put down and sanction a country that has resources the world needs and wants.

And that when the shit hits the fan, you MUST have your own BLOOD and TREASURE to deploy, and you MUST be able to make your own weaponry to fight with. Even if its just catapults and stones to fling at the enemy. Thats more than a shiny western fighter jet or missile system or gun that never gets to you. In numbers. Or in time. To sustain your war effort.
Bhai in say koi pangay ne leta ab. It’s like you trying to fight a khatarnak wizard from some Hollywood filumm……😝

They are chess players and control freaks. Calm n composed……and very calculating……but they’ve been doing this for so long, it’s like they say what king Cyrus said that ‘if Iran ain’t an empire……it is nothing’…..!

US/Israel/ GCC/ Turkey……sub key bhund lugga dee hae throughout the ME without much of an effort. They make their own weapons which totally work and we see it in multiple theaters. Its quite the spectacle.

Sooner or later the US will sell Israel to Iran as an underperforming distressed asset. You know it’s coming…..I can see it from a mile away.

Both Russia and China greatly value Iran as a strategic partner. They know, irani’s can act independent and face the US without even flinching.

MirageBlue

Feb 20, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
What is it with you Indians thinking everything is sexual?
Even your nationality is a connotation for buggery and you wanna talk about Indians??

Go ask a person in the US what "does Greek" means..Loll

vsdoc

Elite Member
Jul 8, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Bhai in say koi pangay ne leta ab. It’s like you trying to fight a khatarnak wizard from some Hollywood filumm……😝

They are chess players and control freaks. Calm n composed……and very calculating……but they’ve been doing this for so long, it’s like they say what king Cyrus said that ‘if Iran ain’t an empire……it is nothing’…..!

US/Israel/ GCC/ Turkey……sub key bhund lugga dee hae throughout the ME without much of an effort. They make their own weapons which totally work and we see it in multiple theaters. Its quite the spectacle.

Sooner or later the US will sell Israel to Iran as an underperforming distressed asset. You know it’s coming…..I can see it from a mile away.

Both Russia and China greatly value Iran as a strategic partner. They know, irani’s can act independent and face the US without even flinching.

If ancient Greece and Rome are taken as the plinth and bedrock and great great granddaddies of the modern West, then Iran has been warring with "the West" for over 5000 years.

If you notice, they dont even (or very rarely) mention their previous colonial outposts of Egypt and Saudi Arabia. They are very clear what they are building up to.

Regardless of the bombast on social media, and by their leaders from time to time, I think they have a pretty nuanced hands off understanding with the Turks in their region or disputed span of control.

Last edited:

liuzhengdong

Jun 9, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Will the end result be the same as Arjun (tank), where only 100 vehicles are purchased for parade?

MirageBlue

Feb 20, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
More details from Ajit Dubey of ANI

- Cummins engine was used to replace the German MTU engine that was causing delays to the program. This was due to the German govt. not giving the necessary permissions on time. DRDO and L&T decided to dump MTU and go with the Cummins engine instead.
- Plan is to develop an indigenous light tank engine to replace the Cummins engine eventually
- Order for 59 Zorawar light tanks already given to L&T and DRDO as a reward for having developed the light tank
- Additional 295 Zorawar light tanks will be bought by the Indian Army, but it will be a fresh contract which will be tendered again and others like Tatas and Mahindras will also be able to apply for that contract.

MirageBlue

Feb 20, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Assembled products, all major components are imported or produced under license

So? Most of the world does so anyway.

The need was for speed of development rather than a 10 year development program. The goal is to get them to the Northern borders with China as soon as 2027.

Beyond that, the target is to replace the John Cockeril sourced turret with a DRDO design (which is in development) and replace the Cummins engine with an Indian engine.

Rest all is Indian, including the gun, the RCWS, the FCS, the battle management systems, the optics, the loitering munitions that it's going to use, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread